Author Topic: motor mount lift advice  (Read 1508 times)

drunkencityworker

motor mount lift advice
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:13:19 AM »
ok so one of mt mm broke. I found some rustys 1"mml on a site that was installed then taken out do to customer change of mind for $50. What should i expect when installing? tricks tips?

drunkencityworker

Re: motor mount lift advice
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
I still have stock fan and an auto trans . can i just cut the top of shroud for clearance or is it a must to raise it

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
I have the Brown Dog Industries MM (no lift), and they have worked fine so far, but my suggestion would be that unless you REALLY need an aftermarket mount, I would just get the stock ones again.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

drunkencityworker

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »
Deal already done...why would u suggest stock. I have heard you feel more vibs. but already alot of wierd vibes and noices...its a jeep is what i say to people =-)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
I still have stock fan and an auto trans . can i just cut the top of shroud for clearance or is it a must to raise it

when i did my b/l i used self tapping metal screws to lower the fan shroud, takes 10 min tops. in your case you'll have to raise it with an mml.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
When you stop and idle, you're gonna feel it.  It shakes everything inside.  The blurry mirror was a bit annoying till it fell off.  Basically, everything vibrates.  The other problem with this is that the exhaust will also vibrate.  I think this is what really killed two exhaust mounts and tore a hole in the pipe near another mount.  If you're jeep isn't a daily driver then it might not be that annoying but as a daily driver, I'd stick with stock mounts.  Not to mention, I can get a complete set of 3 mounts for $35.  I do have JKS 1" pucks.

I used to have a 1" Poly Currie MM and a TD 1" Poly mount.  The upside to it all is that the engine doesn't rock when you jump on the throttle so you end up wasting less energy torquing the engine.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »
When you stop and idle, you're gonna feel it.  It shakes everything inside.  The blurry mirror was a bit annoying till it fell off.  Basically, everything vibrates.  The other problem with this is that the exhaust will also vibrate.  I think this is what really killed two exhaust mounts and tore a hole in the pipe near another mount.  If you're jeep isn't a daily driver then it might not be that annoying but as a daily driver, I'd stick with stock mounts.  Not to mention, I can get a complete set of 3 mounts for $35.  I do have JKS 1" pucks.

I used to have a 1" Poly Currie MM and a TD 1" Poly mount.  The upside to it all is that the engine doesn't rock when you jump on the throttle so you end up wasting less energy torquing the engine.

Exactly the same reason I would suggest stock; even with their "soft rubber", the jeep really shakes at idle, and with the hardtop, the vibrations actually create noise (a deep rumble like a subwoofer) that makes driving very anoying.  I agree with Jeffy, that if it is not a DD, then it's acceptable, but when you drive it everyday, it becomes a PITA.  Also, bolts tend to loosen and things thend to breack with too much vibrations.  Mine got better after I loosened the mounts a bit (the bolt that gous through), but it is still a lot more than stock.  I do have to say, though, that accellaration off the line is improved, and the mounts are high quality and service was excellent, but the vibes are too anoying for a dd...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »
Just make the spacers out of some 1" square tubing and use the stock motor mounts.
No vibes and cheap and works well, plenty of ither things you can spend your Jeep money on
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
Exactly the same reason I would suggest stock; even with their "soft rubber", the jeep really shakes at idle, and with the hardtop, the vibrations actually create noise (a deep rumble like a subwoofer) that makes driving very anoying.  I agree with Jeffy, that if it is not a DD, then it's acceptable, but when you drive it everyday, it becomes a PITA.  Also, bolts tend to loosen and things thend to breack with too much vibrations.  Mine got better after I loosened the mounts a bit (the bolt that gous through), but it is still a lot more than stock.  I do have to say, though, that accellaration off the line is improved, and the mounts are high quality and service was excellent, but the vibes are too anoying for a dd...
When I installed my Con-Ferr roof rack the extruded metal floor would resonate and it would echo inside the Jeep.  It was like having someone jumping up and down on the rack.  ???
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

drunkencityworker

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 04:59:30 AM »
thanks for the replies...i will try them out if vibes are to much i will sell em. i am pretty sure they are the rubber ones so maybe not as bad as poly

drunkencityworker

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 05:03:09 AM »
Has anyone installed without a hoist? any tips tricks. one side at a time or any advice appreciated.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Has anyone installed without a hoist? any tips tricks. one side at a time or any advice appreciated.
I never used a hoist for the three sets I've done.  You can raise the engine with a floor jack.  You can lift the engine from the bellhousing or try and lift it from the mounting surface of the oil pan. (not on the bottom of the pan.)  Or you can lift it from the engine mount on the block.

Do one at a time or else the engine could shift and you'll have to get it aligned again.

CliffB

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
Just make the spacers out of some 1" square tubing and use the stock motor mounts.
No vibes and cheap and works well, plenty of ither things you can spend your Jeep money on
That's what I did.  :biggrin:

jcsanders79

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
I did it like Jeffy mentioned via the bell housing.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »
I also did it with a floor jack on the bellhousing.  I also used a ratchieting strap to the frame to help me align the driver side.