Author Topic: Jerry cans  (Read 2331 times)

Offline bootguy

• TANSTAAFL There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Jerry cans
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
When did the Jerry can become an evil entity.  Been looking for replacements but they are now environmentaly friendly (Scott Proof)  I have also been looking for 18" replacement spouts that store internally in the can.  With the new cans I spill almost as much as I put in the jeep.
1994 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, automatic, 2.5" lift, 4:88 gearing, 33" tires, 2.5" exhaust from manifold back, air restrictor removed.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

Re: Jerry cans
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »
I find them at farm stores, If you can get them the NATO
ones show up at surplus stores but they use a special spout.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline bootguy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:24:09 PM »
The spout is the biggest problem.  With the 94 YJ the filler cap is recessed behind the license plate right underneath the lights.  Thus needing a longer spout to fill with.
1994 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, automatic, 2.5" lift, 4:88 gearing, 33" tires, 2.5" exhaust from manifold back, air restrictor removed.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
if you have them on your tire carrier you can always use a hose and don't have to take them off either
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
Use a self priming pump/hose and you won't have to deal with spouts and having to lift the can.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
Use a self priming pump/hose and you won't have to deal with spouts and having to lift the can.

X2 once you get them going it's a pretty fast transfer.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline bootguy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
In Wa. state it is illegal to carry the cans with fuel in them externally on your vehicle.  I carry them in a little trailer or in the back of my truck.  I guess I can put them in the back then siphon, But I used to be able to empty a can in about 1 minute.  The spout vented the can really nice.  I guess I am hosed for now.  Am going to a 4WD Swap meet in Puyallup Wa. this coming Sunday will keep an eye out there for replacements.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
Well, seeing as many states have adopted the CARB filler, getting NATO carns can be a PITA.  The blitz cans are usually crap since they have leaking issues when you put a spout on.  The large O-ring doesn't help much at all.  Also, because of their design the rolled seam on the bottom tends to leak if not taken care of.  The NATO cans with their vertical welded seam tend to hold up a lot better.

I want some gas cans to mount up top on a rack so they gravity will help the fuel down to the tank.  Personally, I wouldn't want them inside since you will need to strap them down somehow.  Any leaks will also be a problem as well.

Strange that a state would make it illegal to mount a can on the outside as most commercial trucks have externally mounted tanks still.  Do you have the actual code?
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline bootguy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
No, I have talked wih 2 different Wa. state patrol officers and they both told me it was illegal.  Something about getting rear ended.  It is the NATO cans I am looking for.  If found any way to repair the lining or am I just SOL??

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
No, I have talked wih 2 different Wa. state patrol officers and they both told me it was illegal.  Something about getting rear ended.  It is the NATO cans I am looking for.  If found any way to repair the lining or am I just SOL??

not sure about lining but i heard once that there is some sort of liquid to repair gastanks from inside, not sure if would work in this case
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
Hmm, I'd look for the actual penal code and not go by what they think they remember.  I'm not say that they're wrong but you'll want to know the actual penal code.

The dangers of having them inside would be the potential gas bath if they puncture.

You can buy liquid gas tank epoxy/liner that you pour into the can and slosh around.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
Nope he's 100% right. I've been pulled over for it too. and it was
for the two cans that mount on each side of my trailer.
The goofy thing is If they are Blue they won't pull you over.... ;)

there is a product called Creme that works good on motorcycle
tanks, or POR sells a tank coating product as well.

Dave...

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:54 AM »
I've used the POR one, and it works just fine...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 07:42:38 AM »
Sorry...I always have to look this stuff up....

470-12-040
Flammable liquids in portable containers and all other dangerous articles.

Flammable liquids in portable containers and all other dangerous articles, except flammable liquids in tank vehicles, shall be transported by motor vehicles only in accordance with the regulations of the Interstate Commerce Commission issued under authority of the Transportation of Explosives Act (62 Stat. 738, 18 U.S.C.A., pp 831-835) as published in "Motor Carriers' Explosives and Dangerous Articles Tariff No. 7," effective date March 6, 1951, and the same are made part of this order the same as if fully set forth herein.

That doesn't really tell me anything as I was too lazy to look up that code...but I did find a cool site that carries the proper cans.

http://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite/landroverparts/NATOjerryCans.html#carb

2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »
Sorry...I always have to look this stuff up....

470-12-040
Flammable liquids in portable containers and all other dangerous articles.

Flammable liquids in portable containers and all other dangerous articles, except flammable liquids in tank vehicles, shall be transported by motor vehicles only in accordance with the regulations of the Interstate Commerce Commission issued under authority of the Transportation of Explosives Act (62 Stat. 738, 18 U.S.C.A., pp 831-835) as published in "Motor Carriers' Explosives and Dangerous Articles Tariff No. 7," effective date March 6, 1951, and the same are made part of this order the same as if fully set forth herein.

That doesn't really tell me anything as I was too lazy to look up that code...but I did find a cool site that carries the proper cans.

http://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite/landroverparts/NATOjerryCans.html#carb

I haven't really seen much of anything which is why I asked.

Notice that site does not sell green or red Nato cans.  The blue ones are for water, not gas.  BTW: Yellow is for diesel.  I believe DOT requires the can to be red if it contains gas.  There are also laws to prevent people from using non-approved containers which I'm sure is going to be in there someplace.