Author Topic: KC light mounting brackets by windshield.  (Read 2608 times)

bammerman

KC light mounting brackets by windshield.
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
I bought these but don't have a clue how to run the wires?  I have the KC daylighters with the metallic wire shields and grommets for mounting on the front.  What would you guys do?  I am looking to keep it clean and have the wires as hidden and protected as possible.

I figure I have two options.

1.) drill a hole in the windshield or somewhere on body and run the wires, metal shield and grommet
2.) remove metal covering and run through the windshield

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: KC light mounting brackets by windshield.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »
Tuck the wires under the windshield, between the cowl seal.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

95yjman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »
Tuck the wires under the windshield, between the cowl seal.

X2  :thumb:

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »
You will still be able to see the wires, but it's not that noticable.

I mounted some KC 130watt long range lights on the windsheild and it looks cool. When in use they illuminate your whole hood which sucks but they look cool.

Here's mine and some daystar rockers switches in the air vents. I have no A/C and even if I did it's on the passenger side. It still blows air but straight back.

Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

95yjman

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
thats a nice setup you got there!

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
I had them like that at first, but I noticed that on my YJ the water leaked in when driving at highway speeds in the rain.  After that, I brought them in from the sides and the problem stopped.  Of course, then I got the snorkel, and had to remove them from the windshield altogether...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »
I prefer the lights at headlight level and in front of the rig
cause the glare of the light off the hood bugs the heck out of me.

I haven't happened on enough wheeling where lights up high help me much.
I'm sure it a situational thing...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »
I prefer the lights at headlight level and in front of the rig
cause the glare of the light off the hood bugs the heck out of me.

I haven't happened on enough wheeling where lights up high help me much.
I'm sure it a situational thing...

Dave

For the windshield mount, the glare is not that bad if you are using long rangle lights (there's just a bit of glare, actually).  On the hood mounts, however, the story is quite different...  I wish I could go back to the windshield mounts!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »
For the windshield mount, the glare is not that bad if you are using long rangle lights (there's just a bit of glare, actually).  On the hood mounts, however, the story is quite different...  I wish I could go back to the windshield mounts!

is the light hitting the snorkel or it's because of the bracket being in the way? if it's the latter then can't you  just cut the portion that goes on the side of the windshield frame mount? just a thought
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »

Thats what I mean, its not crazy bright but I just find it kills my night vision having the hood illuminated.

On the other hand I have almost 800 watts off the front between High and My Hella Lights...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »

On the other hand I have almost 800 watts off the front between High and My Hella Lights...

geez, what bulbs are you using (wattage)?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
Thats what I mean, its not crazy bright but I just find it kills my night vision having the hood illuminated.

Honestly speaking, when I had the lights on the windshield (KC Daylighters, 100W on KC mounts) it did not reflect off the hood, so it did not affect my night vision.  The current mount (same lights, KC Hood Hinge mounts) do, however...  Still, it is better than not having them, as your long range vision is greatle increased when driving down a dark road at night (especially at high speed!).

800W???  WOW!!!!  That's about 60A just in illumintaion!!!  How many lights are you running?  8?  What alternator are you using?  I hope not the stocker...

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »
Hella Rally 2000 with 200W bulbs. (Old school.... ;) )

175 High beams in the Cibie replacement
headlights when I'm traveling.

I run legal bulbs day to day in the buckets cause they are cheap.... :)
Switch to the hot high beams for going to rallys or playing at some other motorsports.

And yep the stock alternator screams like a little girl if I run them all together for too long...
Got a 135A coming soon(TM)
Dave

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:06:33 AM by dwtaylorpdx »

bammerman

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
They didn't turn out 1/2 bad now did they

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
They didn't turn out 1/2 bad now did they

turned out good, now all you have to do is get rid of the silly smileys :lol: (it's unlikely they'll get hit by rocks over there anyway)