Author Topic: transmission swap: man.->auto  (Read 2074 times)

enginethatcould

transmission swap: man.->auto
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:44:11 PM »
I have been thinking about putting some serious wrench time into my jeep ever since retiring it from its DD duties. My plan currently (which is always subject to change) is to install a turbo, axle upgrades, 37" tires and a transmission swap.I have mostly everything figured out exept which auto transmission I will run. Currently I have a NV 3550 that is great, but want to run an automatic. Because of the turbo that I am currently gathering parts for, I was thinking of a four speed but I'm unsure on which route to take, and need some insight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: transmission swap: man.->auto
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
This is for a 2.5L?  The stock auto was a TF904/30RH which is a 3-speed.  You might try a 700R6 form a 2.8L V6 Blazer/S-10/S15/Jimmy but you're going to have to custom space the TC.  Otherwise, go with a AW4 like oldjeep.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

enginethatcould

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »
This is for a 2.5L?  The stock auto was a TF904/30RH which is a 3-speed.  You might try a 700R6 form a 2.8L V6 Blazer/S-10/S15/Jimmy but you're going to have to custom space the TC.  Otherwise, go with a AW4 like oldjeep.

Sorry, it is a 2.5L. I was leaning towards the AW4 but was unsure if I had other options. Why would you have to space the TC?

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
Sorry, it is a 2.5L. I was leaning towards the AW4 but was unsure if I had other options. Why would you have to space the TC?

AW4 is a tough swap for a 2.5L, especially if you want to be able to run with a TCU.    I'd be happy to lay out the details, but it is not exactly a bolt on swap.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »
TC as in Torque Converter.  You will need to make sure it sits in the correct position and can be bolted to the flywheel which will probably require custom spacing.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

enginethatcould

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »
My brother just told me he thinks that he has an AW4 sitting in his yard from an '86 CJ from an inline six. Is there a way to make this fit the 4cly?

enginethatcould

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »
AW4 is a tough swap for a 2.5L, especially if you want to be able to run with a TCU.    I'd be happy to lay out the details, but it is not exactly a bolt on swap.

I started to read your thread and must say that I am really impressed. My thought was to go with an OD transmission because I'm in the process of gathering parts for a turbo install. I yanked the original ax-5 and went with a NV 3550. That was a pretty straight forward swap to what I have been reading aboput your swap. Let me ask you this, if you would do it all over would you still go with the AW4? Was it worth the hassle? If you wouldn't mind, Could you give me a breif rundown of what it takes. I read in another thread that you posted in that I will need

1. aw4
2. bell housing from a 2.5L
3. a TCU

I'm still not sure how this would get wired to shift on its own. Some insight would be great. Thanks, OldJeep

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »
My brother just told me he thinks that he has an AW4 sitting in his yard from an '86 CJ from an inline six. Is there a way to make this fit the 4cly?

AW4 only comes in Cherokees, comanches, couple isuzus and some toyotas.  CJ would be a 904 or 999.  No way to make it fit, bellhousing isn't removable.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »
1. aw4
2. bell housing from a 2.5L
3. a TCU

I'm still not sure how this would get wired to shift on its own. Some insight would be great. Thanks, OldJeep

Pretty much any 95 or older AW4 would work.  90 or older if you want to be able to use your 21 spline tcase.  If you want it to work with a TCU then you need an 87-89 2.5L TCU from a cherokee - only years that a 2.5L came with an AW4.  Bellhousing and torque convertor from the same years.  The TPS signal to the early TCU is inverted so you would either need to cobble on a renix type TPS or rig up something to invert the TPS signal.  Flexplate you would use one from a 2.5L wranger and redrill it for the AW4 convertor.

Shifter options are either a cherokee shifter, or a modified lokar, or there is a guy on pirate selling gated shifters for AW4's in the cherokee section.

Wiring isn't too tough - you hook into the brake switch, tps, reverse lights and power
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

enginethatcould

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
AW4 only comes in Cherokees, comanches, couple isuzus and some toyotas.  CJ would be a 904 or 999.  No way to make it fit, bellhousing isn't removable.

Which isuzus and toyotas?

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »
Which isuzus and toyotas?

Couple years worth of troopers or Rodeos.  Toyotas - some Supras (believe it or not), Some Tundras,, Lexus.  The Toyota name is A340E   Also there is a volvo or 2 that use an aw4 variant.

Guy down the road from me used to run a V8 out of a Lexus SC400 with the stock A340E and the tcase adaptor and output shaft off a cherokee AW4.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:33:54 PM by oldjeep »
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

enginethatcould

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
  If you want it to work with a TCU then you need an 87-89 2.5L TCU from a cherokee - only years that a 2.5L came with an AW4.  Bellhousing and torque convertor from the same years. 

87-89 was the only years that the AW4 was put behind a 2.5L?

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:23 AM »
87-89 was the only years that the AW4 was put behind a 2.5L?

Yes
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com