Author Topic: YJ guys  (Read 2932 times)

drunkencityworker

YJ guys
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:14 AM »
YJ guys what 4" sua springs give the best flex? I am going to be picking some up and am wondering what your thoughts and regrets are. Thanks

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: YJ guys
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
YJ guys what 4" sua springs give the best flex? I am going to be picking some up and am wondering what your thoughts and regrets are. Thanks

I have the RE Standard, but I have heard great reviews about the RE Extreme Duty.  It seems those are some of the best ones out there...  In fact, with that lift (it's actually 4.5, not 4), and some triming, you can easily stuff up to 35" meats under your rig.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »
I'm pretty happy with my RE XD 4.5 inch lift.  The flex is good and very balanced front to rear. No regrets but it will not match the flex of a TJ, so if that is going to bother you, you might as well look into SOA or a link suspension right away.  I have seen the Skyjacker 4" lift provide very good flex on a CJ, but keep in mind they are known to sag.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

drunkencityworker

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »
I have heard the RE come extremely stiff and take a season or 2 to soften up and flex.
I was lined up to buy some skyjacker softrides. But guys mechanic is moving out of state and he sold the yj half way though soa conversion.
Here is a pic of the flex of the actual springs I was supposed to get. Can the RE's do this.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:28:51 AM by drunkencityworker »

drunkencityworker

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
The best over the counter kit is probably Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 4.5" kit, hands down.

Most everyone else's kits are all very old and don't take into account that people want a soft ride.  Or if they do they tend to wear out quickly.

What you'll also find out is that many leafs aren't even make by the company selling them.  Most are from a company called McCoy Brothers in Canada.  Funny thing is McCoy Brothers will sell kits directly now. http://www.mccoybrosusa.com/.  Still there are some leafs they make but do not sell.  Lift lits like the Pro Comp 4" is the exact same leaf as the Rubicon Express 4" but a bit cheaper.  Rubicon Express's 4.5" used to be made by National Springs which is well known for their nice leafs, but they changed that a few years after the leafs came out.  I'm not sure who makes them anymore.

Leafs like Superlift and Skyjacker tend to be on the soft side and they usually end up sagging prematurely or bending under use.  They have a good warranty but a 4" lift should not turn into 2.5" with sporadic use offroad.  Stiff leafs can be made to ride softer.  Many settle to where they put the shackle at the wrong angle and cause unnecessary stiffness.  The other problem is that the factory and leaf mfg. have you overtighten the leaf spring bolts.  If you use nylock nuts you can run them looser without having to worry about the bolts falling off.  IIRC, stock is around 75-90lbs-ft which is very tight.  Also, when installing a lift you need to make sure not to tighten the bolts all the way until it's on the ground and you've cycled the suspension a little.  You don't want to preload the leafs.

The other thing to keep in mind that YJ's has 3 different sets of leafs stock.  2.5L with soft tops used the lightest while the 4.0L's with the Hardtops uses the heaviest.  Most suspension mfg.'s are building their springs with the 4.0L in mind so if you have a stock 2.5L with no bumpers or winches, it will probably ride stiff.  The best way to get around this is to do your own home work and buy custom leafs.  Typically custom leafs are sold at a set price so you will pay the same for 1" as you would for 6".  You will usually tell the builder what you do with your Jeep and about how much gear you bring.  This is so they can get an idea of how much weight you normally have in addition to the Jeep's weight.  You will have to source your own shocks, U-bolts, U-bolt plates, bump stop extensions and anything else necessary for the lift.  If you're running stock shackles, you might want to consider upgrading as the stock shackles aren't that strong and usually have wallowed out holes.  They also cup around the rubber bushings creating extra friction.  If you're cheap you can get some 3/8" or 1/2" plate and make your own shackles.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any off the shelf kit and go straight to some custom leafs.  It's more work but has greater rewards.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
The RE XD 4.5 does pretty well.  Maybe custom leafs would cost about the same.  If I ever have to replace a leaf spring I will most likely go that route.

Also, if you get the RE 4.5, get steel degree shims or set you pinion angle so you don't need them right away.  The aluminum shims that come with the kit are not so good.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
Also, if you get the RE 4.5, get steel degree shims or set you pinion angle so you don't need them right away.  The aluminum shims that come with the kit are not so good.

With a 4" lift, I would not bother with shims at all (and you are right, my AL ones DID in fact crack!), but rather do a SYE, CV Shaft, cut the old perches off, and reweld new perches at the correct angle for the CV sahft.

And if you are looking for flex, probably the best thing to do (what I would do if I were to do the Jeep over) would be to go SOA in the front, and get a set of new custom leafs in the rear to match the SOA lift with stock springs (this way your rear will be stiff enough to avoid axle warp, but the front will flex enough so that you have great traction).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Jesse-James

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »
I ran the RE 4.5" springs in the rear when I was running SOA/SUA and hated them. incredibly stiff. I couldn't get them to flex at all, though since the front was SOA, but still don't think they lived up to the hype.

my $.02

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »
BDS if you want the best springs you can buy ;)
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

bammerman

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »
With a 4" lift, I would not bother with shims at all (and you are right, my AL ones DID in fact crack!), but rather do a SYE, CV Shaft, cut the old perches off, and reweld new perches at the correct angle for the CV sahft.

And if you are looking for flex, probably the best thing to do (what I would do if I were to do the Jeep over) would be to go SOA in the front, and get a set of new custom leafs in the rear to match the SOA lift with stock springs (this way your rear will be stiff enough to avoid axle warp, but the front will flex enough so that you have great traction).
This is exactly what I am doing after my engine is in.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
BDS if you want the best springs you can buy ;)
BDS's are just off the rack McCoy Brother leafs.  Funny thing is they seem to be popular in the mid-west but not west.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 04:50:03 PM »
BDS's are just off the rack McCoy Brother leafs.  Funny thing is they seem to be popular in the mid-west but not west.

Hmm, BDS is what everyone I know runs on YJ's - the guys who offroad anyway.  You would have a hard time giving away RE parts, the rep they have is extremely stiff and not very articulation friendly.

The no questions asked warranty is a plus too.  Mess up a spring, get a new one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:57:06 PM by oldjeep »
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »
These local RE reputations are interesting.  I think a lot has to do with confusion over the Extreme Duty Leaf Springs and the Standard. They are very different.  The Standard are known to be stiff and they seem to always give a bad shackle angle (slightly closer to the center of the Jeep on the lower end).  I'm pretty sure Jesse-James had the standard RE 4" leaf springs (5 rear leaves instead of 6 and bad shackle angle in the posted pictures).

Here locally, the consensus is that almost all brands of leaf springs flex with the exception of FabTech and ProComp.  Some are know for sagging like Skyjacker and Superlift. BDS is not found here in the Monterrey area so I can´t really comment on it but it must be good or it would not have a good following.

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
I'm pretty happy with my RE XD's, and I paid a pretty good price too. I got them in town at 4WP for $137/ea, I couldn't find anyone even close to that on the internet. BDS 5" springs were like $15 cheaper per leaf, but I only swapped the rears and didn't want to have too much rake in the rear from the taller leafs. I was surprised to see the XD's are a 6 leaf pack, but they're pretty darn soft IMO. I haven't done much with them but they seem to flex well.

My old Rough Country springs actually flexed very, very well. When I was running nothing other than their lift, RE shackles, and some 33" BFG's I couldn't keep the tires from rubbing (no bump stops). Even after adding TJ flares they still stuffed into the flares. But two sagging sets, the second sagging worse than the first in less than 6 months, made me go RE

Oh and if I ever have a complaint about RE I could just stop in on my way to Tahoe (They're in Rancho Cordova I believe) and tell them in perso :pot:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:33:26 PM by TahoeYJ »
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more