Author Topic: NEED HELP! yj won't start  (Read 991 times)

BigCountry

NEED HELP! yj won't start
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
my 91 won't start. to answer the impending question, yes i checked the battery. even put it on a trickle charger. the connections all look good, and i replaced the starter summer of 08. when i turn the key, it doesn't try to turn over, but it makes a weird sound somewhere between a buzz and static. and to answer another question, yes there is fuel in the tank.

help please! weather is beautiful and i'm stuck in a sedan till the yj works. it's in my garage, and can't easily get it to the shop, and i'd rather not spend $500 if it's something i can figure out and fix myself. any suggestions are much appreciated

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: NEED HELP! yj won't start
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
When you turn the key to the run position, does the check engine light come on?  If not, then check the PCM fuse.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

BigCountry

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
When you turn the key to the run position, does the check engine light come on?  If not, then check the PCM fuse.

Check engine light doesn't come on. just standard, e-brake light and seatbelt light.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
Check engine light doesn't come on. just standard, e-brake light and seatbelt light.

Then pop the cover off the fuse box by the battery and make sure that the 30 amp PCM fuse is not burned out.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »
my 91 won't start. to answer the impending question, yes i checked the battery. even put it on a trickle charger. the connections all look good, and i replaced the starter summer of 08. when i turn the key, it doesn't try to turn over, but it makes a weird sound somewhere between a buzz and static. and to answer another question, yes there is fuel in the tank.

help please! weather is beautiful and i'm stuck in a sedan till the yj works. it's in my garage, and can't easily get it to the shop, and i'd rather not spend $500 if it's something i can figure out and fix myself. any suggestions are much appreciated

pretty common from what you describe. it is either the starter solenoid or the battery being low
1. charge the battery well first (or use one off another vehicle)
2. verify that the ground is good (or use a jumpstart cable from the negative of the battery to the engine)
3. try to use a jump start cable directly from the + of the battery to the starter

EDIT: i understand you charged the battery but you might want to make sure the connections are also good so that's why i suggested the use of jumper cables.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:32:57 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
Make sure it is not in gear when you jump the starter!
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

BigCountry

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
pretty common from what you describe. it is either the starter solenoid or the battery being low
1. charge the battery well first (or use one off another vehicle)
2. verify that the ground is good (or use a jumpstart cable from the negative of the battery to the engine)
3. try to use a jump start cable directly from the + of the battery to the starter

EDIT: i understand you charged the battery but you might want to make sure the connections are also good so that's why i suggested the use of jumper cables.

verified the ground. did no good  :'(  found the source of the buzzing noise (used a 6' root puller to hold the key so i could turn the key while being on passenger side of the engine) and it sounds like it was from the starter. so it might be the solenoid...idk  :confused:

BigCountry

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
Then pop the cover off the fuse box by the battery and make sure that the 30 amp PCM fuse is not burned out.

checked all the fuses, and replaced the starter relay, and still no luck...   :brick:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »
checked all the fuses, and replaced the starter relay, and still no luck...   :brick:
When you say all the fuses you mean the power distribution box under the hood as well as the one under the dash, right?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
verified the ground. did no good  :'(  found the source of the buzzing noise (used a 6' root puller to hold the key so i could turn the key while being on passenger side of the engine) and it sounds like it was from the starter. so it might be the solenoid...idk  :confused:

use a wire to jump the solenoid (so you don't need to turn the key). go from + of the battery on the small pin on the solenoid between the 2 large screws - see what happens. the buzzing noise you hear is either the contacts inside the solenoid or the solenoid engaging and disengaging rapidly due to drop in voltage when the contact are closing.

like someone else before said, be careful so it's not in gear when you do this.

you can jump the solenoid to see if the starter spins by using a jumpstart cable and go to the starter side pin on the solenoid or shorting the 2 pins on the solenoid (but that means you're 100% that cable is good).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

BigCountry

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
When you say all the fuses you mean the power distribution box under the hood as well as the one under the dash, right?

yeah i checked both. checked all my wires and had a buddy come take a look. threw in a new starter last night (pepboys doesn't sell just a solenoid) and it fired right up. he said the solenoid wasn't engaging the fly wheel.

so thank you everyone for the help, i was hoping the gremlin would have cost less to kill, but so far it's working (knock on wood)