Author Topic: Whining/screeching noise with foot off the gas  (Read 2926 times)

matmastin

Whining/screeching noise with foot off the gas
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:58:03 AM »
My 95 YJ makes a high-pitched screech/whining noise when I take my foot off the gas, after driving at highway speed for a while.  It does it any time my foot is off the gas pedal.  It sounds like my belt is slipping, but it is not.  It will usually go away momentarily when I stop at a red light.  It also does it between gears when my foot is off the gas and cluch is depressed - stops as soon as I touch gas. I have tried to get up there to open the hood to see what it is, but it has always stopped by the time I can get the hood open.  Anyone ever heard of this?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Whining/screeching noise with foot off the gas
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »
My 95 YJ makes a high-pitched screech/whining noise when I take my foot off the gas, after driving at highway speed for a while.  It does it any time my foot is off the gas pedal.  It sounds like my belt is slipping, but it is not.  It will usually go away momentarily when I stop at a red light.  It also does it between gears when my foot is off the gas and cluch is depressed - stops as soon as I touch gas. I have tried to get up there to open the hood to see what it is, but it has always stopped by the time I can get the hood open.  Anyone ever heard of this?

i would've say the same thing (the belt) although that is more when you accelerate not the other way around.

for a test take the tube off the throttle body (the one that comes from the air filter) and see if it still does it, i'm thinking might be something with the air box, air filter or velocity insert (air whistling thru somehow).

that's the best i can come up with.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »
Water-pump bearing?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
Water-pump bearing?

but why only when decelerating?

i wonder if it's not some vac line that does that.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
but why only when decelerating?

i wonder if it's not some vac line that does that.
I don't think it's the belt since it's not consistent.  Although eh could try cranking the wheel to one side and force the pump to run at peak pressure which should cause the belt to squeal if it's too loose.

I don't think anything else would make a similar noise other then maybe a bearing, idle, water pump or alternator.

Brake chirp is different as well.  Intake would make a whistle or a sucking sound that I wouldn't think would be loud enough to sound like a belt.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
I've had a Transmission Input shaft Pilot Bearing do this before.....
The one in the back of the crank.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

ChuckC806

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
I had this same problem.  It'd go away when under acceleration, but at the stop sign/light or just starting it up, it'd start squealing and I'd have to hit the gas a little.  I thought that I had the belt tightened up like it should be, but took it to my buddy's shop and he tightened it up some more and haven't heard a peep out of it since.  Even with the heater/ac on.