Author Topic: SOFT TOP QUESTION  (Read 1634 times)

mbolan

SOFT TOP QUESTION
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
Take a look at the pic. Our jeep came with this top. It also has soft upper doors not shown in the pic. The problem we have is that there is a huge gap between the door tops and the soft top. Is this a top designed for the stock YJ frame. I think we have a Best Top super frame but I'm not sure. The top has snaps on it over the door but there is'nt anything to snap to. Is there a different rear quarter section that I can zip in to make it work or do I have to find a whole new top?

GBJeep

Re: SOFT TOP QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
Most YJ soft tops have a pointed corner (like your top).  They had soft upper doors that matched the opening. All you need are new upper doors that come to a point. Not sure how to post pics, so here is a link to 4WD that shows what you need. http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?groupID=75

mbolan

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
I think there must be something else to it because the top is'nt attached to anything above the door and it supposed to snap to something. The jeep came (when we got it) with the upper doors that have rounded corner frames that match up to the round frame rail that support the top. It also came with brand new upper soft pieces that wont fit our round frames (pointed corners). It would be a bummer if this top won't work because its brand new.

GBJeep

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
It is a supertop frame, I can tell by the rear section in the pic.  If I remember correctly there should be a bar from the crossbar to the windshield that you can snap the top to.  It has been a while since I had that top tho.  I will try to see if I have any pics of that Jeep that would show that.   

Banshee600

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:33:35 PM »
your right there is a piece of alum. that goes from the rear bar to the windsheild frame with snaps

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
It is a supertop frame, I can tell by the rear section in the pic.  If I remember correctly there should be a bar from the crossbar to the windshield that you can snap the top to.  It has been a while since I had that top tho.  I will try to see if I have any pics of that Jeep that would show that.   
I agree, it looks like a Supertop by BesTop.

http://bestop.com/installation_guides/51603.pdf
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

YJmechanic

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
it could also be the updated supertop frame that is supposed to have the lip fold in top on and the top is for the older snap config.  so maybe you have a differant frame and top

mbolan

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure its an old supertop frame (but I don't know for sure). Its not the flip thype. It just has a round steel approx 5/16" bar that connects to the windsheild without any snaps. I'm thinking that the previous owner may have ordered a top for the original jeep style frame not knowing it was a super top. But if thats the case I wonder if I can just replace the rear quarter pieces that zip in. I live in Texas and in about another month I'm probably not going to want that top on anyway. It sure would be nice for the winter though.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
looks like the softtop my jeep has. there should be a flap sowed to the top that has Velcro to go around the small rod that goes to the windshield...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
looks like the softtop my jeep has. there should be a flap sowed to the top that has Velcro to go around the small rod that goes to the windshield...

that's what i have on my bestop softop. i also have those flaps on the side panels and they go around a vertical rod.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:04:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure its an old supertop frame (but I don't know for sure). Its not the flip thype. It just has a round steel approx 5/16" bar that connects to the windsheild without any snaps. I'm thinking that the previous owner may have ordered a top for the original jeep style frame not knowing it was a super top. But if thats the case I wonder if I can just replace the rear quarter pieces that zip in. I live in Texas and in about another month I'm probably not going to want that top on anyway. It sure would be nice for the winter though.
If you look at the link I provided you'll see that there are flaps that are missing from your Jeep.  You will need to contact Bestop and see if you can get them as they are the sole provider of those.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

mbolan

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 07:45:44 AM »
Thanks. For some reason mine is a little different than one shown in the link. The one shown in the link has a triangular piece that is part of the rear quarter section that extends over the door. Mine just goes straight up. The leading edge of the quarter piece on mine also has a plastic piece that is supposed to hook to something. Its the same as the windshield and back fastening system. I'll call Bestop. Worse case maybe I can fab a piece with snaps on it to fill the void.

I also looked at some new bikini tops and half top systems while at the Bestop web site. I noticed that my roll cage is not the standard 91 year model type. The bars that tie to the main hoop are attached like a 92 and later model. Mine also has the bars that tie to main hoop and come forward overhead and tie into a front hoop. The front hoop ties into the floor in front of the doors. I guess its what you would call a 6 point cage. Its a nice looking cage but its complicating my selection of bikini tops since I'm not sure if the cage has factory dimentions or it was home made. Is there a drawing anywhere that shows stock roll bars and dimensions?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
Thanks. For some reason mine is a little different than one shown in the link. The one shown in the link has a triangular piece that is part of the rear quarter section that extends over the door. Mine just goes straight up. The leading edge of the quarter piece on mine also has a plastic piece that is supposed to hook to something. Its the same as the windshield and back fastening system. I'll call Bestop. Worse case maybe I can fab a piece with snaps on it to fill the void.

I also looked at some new bikini tops and half top systems while at the Bestop web site. I noticed that my roll cage is not the standard 91 year model type. The bars that tie to the main hoop are attached like a 92 and later model. Mine also has the bars that tie to main hoop and come forward overhead and tie into a front hoop. The front hoop ties into the floor in front of the doors. I guess its what you would call a 6 point cage. Its a nice looking cage but its complicating my selection of bikini tops since I'm not sure if the cage has factory dimentions or it was home made. Is there a drawing anywhere that shows stock roll bars and dimensions?
You have a 1992 cage.  The front of the bikini top will connect to the windshield frame like the soft top does so it shouldn't matter.  Although the side velcro straps are usually loose on the side tubes if you don't run any pads.

Bikerjr1

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »
from the picture you don't have the door surrounds installed.  your soft top will snap to it along the top part (red in your pic) and the side window hooks onto it.  it is what your upper door seal to.  I found a set for about 20.00 off ebay last year to replace a busted one.
JR