Author Topic: Performance 2.5? Is that posable?  (Read 8434 times)

Offline dwtaylorpdx

Re: Performance 2.5? Is that posable?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »
There are a lot of theories about head porting, the guy that did my
engine does not port match most motors, he claims he gets better
power with the port on the head slightly larger than the intake manifold
and that the step is better than the taper out and taper back of
a pure port match. (On the style ports my YJ used anyway...) and
the head port should be just smaller than the that the header flange and tubes.
He also said there are at least two opinions for every strategy.

He said port matching is one of those total package items and that there is
cheaper lower hanging fruit in the cylinder head than can be done
without a serious flow bench and a few hundred K in finite element
software. A 5 cut valve job, and cutting the guides back for a couple.
He did do some very light touch up to make sure all the casting marks and flaws
were smoothed out.

Oh well just some thoughts...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Castr8r

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »
     The electric fan frees up HP- the engine driven fan is a huge parasitic draw on a banger.  You will notice a difference by way of the seat of the pants dyno.

Offline andpgud

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 05:15:43 AM »
Does it also give more power for the TJ, the electroc fan that is?

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
Ive read that the electric fans are real loud. can anyone running an e-fan confirm or deny that?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
Ive read that the electric fans are real loud. can anyone running an e-fan confirm or deny that?
No they aren't.  Well, unless you run a 2-speed like the Mark VII/Thunderbird/Cougar or Taurus 3.8L which pull high CFM.  But that's only on the HS.  If you run then on the LS, they are quiet.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
No they aren't.  Well, unless you run a 2-speed like the Mark VII/Thunderbird/Cougar or Taurus 3.8L which pull high CFM.  But that's only on the HS.  If you run then on the LS, they are quiet.

Ditto; I cannot hear mine on low speed over the engine even with the hood open and my head stiking in the engine compartment.  on high speed, they ARE a bit loud, but they also move air like there was no tomorrow (in other words, LS is more than enough to keep a 4banger cool).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

quicksand

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
Hope this is not to late to add to this part of the forum, but I would like to give my 2 cents in a Mod I did to my jeep about 1 week ago. I had my jeep running pretty good and fast with my existing mods with cold air intake, bored out 2.5L TB, TB spacer, accel coil and wires, NGK plugs gapped at .037, catback with magnaflow muffler, she was moving pretty fast. Then I finally did the 4.0L throttle body swap. Just the factory 4.0L TB not bored. I know some swap to bored TB like 62mm. But anyway just with the factory one I must say WOW what a difference in off the line response, Its like instant. She climbs up to 80 MPH with no problem. On a head wind and uphill she holds her speed at about 65mph. And to top it off I am saving gas, due to not having to push to far down on the pedal. My jeep feels a whole lot better, It feels like a nite and day difference. I highly recomend this swap.

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
I finally did the 4.0L throttle body swap. Just the factory 4.0L TB not bored. I know some swap to bored TB like 62mm. But anyway just with the factory one I must say WOW what a difference in off the line response, Its like instant. She climbs up to 80 MPH with no problem. On a head wind and uphill she holds her speed at about 65mph. And to top it off I am saving gas, due to not having to push to far down on the pedal. My jeep feels a whole lot better, It feels like a nite and day difference. I highly recomend this swap.
Really? i did the 62mm TB swap and yes i felt a difference (wait, did i???) and it def wasnt as dramatic a picture as you are painting here. Maybe there is somethin wrong with my 4-popper. The way i see it when it comes to upgrading a 4banger, you do everything available to get a good end result. No one mod is gonna blow you away..engine jugearsst doesnt put out that kind of power. but if you do a bunch of things (gears, fan, cold air, exhaust, header, TB, TB spacer, chip) all that can prob add to a decent power gain.

By the way, for those running the E-Fans, i read you have a high speed and low speed setting, is there anyway to have the settings automatically adjusted? Also, do u have to shut the fan off during water crossings??
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

quicksand

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
All I am saying it really made it feel alive as a whole, ofcourse its with all my other mods combined. I also agree not one mod is going to give you a big bang by itself. Especially on a 4 banger. It is all just really adding up for me. I do not know If you are referring to me about a e-fan I do not have a electric fan yet. Hey hope you are having a great christmas, O yeah I finally got some discos for christmas. Happy 4 Wheeling.

Offline k

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 02:29:10 PM »
By the way, for those running the E-Fans, i read you have a high speed and low speed setting, is there anyway to have the settings automatically adjusted? Also, do u have to shut the fan off during water crossings??
I have a single speed that I ordered from Quadratec years ago.  It too is rather quiet, but I have burned up at least two thermostats for it.  I finally have it wired with just an on/off switch in the dash for working on the engine, warm ups during winter, and water crossings.  Works fine for me that way.  Turning it off for water crossing is recommended just to keep the blades of the fan from being pulled into and damaging the radiator. Most electric fans sit right on the radiator as apposed to the mechanical ones that are closer to the engine and use a shroud.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:32:22 PM by k »
1995 2in pucs, 2.5 suspension, 33 BFG's, 4.0 TB, TBS, Auto w/ TCI shiftkit, header, flowmaster, Jacobs Ignition, ARB's front and rear, Rock-it tube w/K&N filter, SYE kit.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »
I have a single speed that I ordered from Quadratec years ago.  It too is rather quiet, but I have burned up at least two thermostats for it.  I finally have it wired with just an on/off switch in the dash for working on the engine, warm ups during winter, and water crossings.  Works fine for me that way.  Turning it off for water crossing is recommended just to keep the blades of the fan from being pulled into and damaging the radiator. Most electric fans sit right on the radiator as apposed to the mechanical ones that are closer to the engine and use a shroud.
If you have a thermostat make sure it's on the switch side of the relay.  Otherwise, it takes a big hit every time the fan turns on.  Most are only able to take 20-30a.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

quicksand

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »
Does anyone have experience or heard any feedback on the flex-a-lite electric fan

Offline k

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
Does anyone have experience or heard any feedback on the flex-a-lite electric fan

That would be the one that I purchased years ago.  Fan has held up great, but the thermostat for it burned up twice and I wired to a switch for the last 6 years with no problems.
1995 2in pucs, 2.5 suspension, 33 BFG's, 4.0 TB, TBS, Auto w/ TCI shiftkit, header, flowmaster, Jacobs Ignition, ARB's front and rear, Rock-it tube w/K&N filter, SYE kit.

quicksand

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
So if I get a flex a lite electric fan would you suggest to skip or over ride the thermostat and go straight to a off and on switch?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
So if I get a flex a lite electric fan would you suggest to skip or over ride the thermostat and go straight to a off and on switch?

use a thermocouple (thermostat contact), you burn HP if you run it constantly
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end