Author Topic: Performance 2.5? Is that posable?  (Read 8433 times)

DIYcurran

Performance 2.5? Is that posable?
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »
Ok I have a 93 wrangler with a 2.5

it has 160k on it and had a complete rebuild at 70k. I know im stretching it, especially backed by an AX5....
(Note: just finished a small block 400 for a future upgrade) but I digress...

I want to SQUEEZE! every last bit of power out of that little motor AS POSABLE!!! We've had had a lot of good times together and I think its only appropriate she goes out with a Bang!

When I did the rebuild, i port 'n polished the head and Alum Intake. With a forced air intake and less restricted exhaust, It had a little more Pep

What can I do to get MORE?!?!? PLEASE! tell me anything you have done (or that you know of) to get more Performance out of a 2.5. ANYTHING!!!

Im leaning toward a new radiator, electric fan, electric water pump (if the is one for that motor) and a small turbo, if i can pick one up for a good price.

So jeep buddies, Please.... help a brother out

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:10:27 PM by DIYcurran »

Torch_Ind

Re: Performance 2.4? Is that posable?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »
I don't know this for sure but I heard the 2.4L was based of the neon 4cld. so you can make a srt4 or whatever the turbo neon is. 

please correct me if I'm wrong

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Performance 2.5? Is that posable?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »
Check st.chevrolet's (Sean) turbo build in member's projects section for a turbo setup. Also, you said you ported the intake, did you upgrade the throttle body? what about more fuel (is good that you give it air by porting/polishing the intake but you can't make more power without more fuel). I would be interested to see (if you have any pics that would be great) or at least hear how you polished the intake, seems a bit hard to get all the way thru, i have a spare manifold and was planning to make something custom but would prefer if i can polish the stock one, so I'd like to know how you did it.

also, what tires are you running and did you regear to match the new tire size?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

DIYcurran

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
I did it about 7 years ago...  sorry didn't think to take any pic's.         Striped the motor down  (before i brought it to the machine shop)   
 Head and intake on a bench.      with a flex extension, a dremel tool and about 8hrs of free time, it was all smoothed out.  (black faced)  Im sure i will be paying for this later in life... 

YJmechanic

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
couple things, 

the neon engine is not the same as the jeep 2.4,  nor would it make sense to install one for the power is not worth the price

please search for your answers before posting a new topic,  i built a performance 2.5 and it is well documented as for all parts and procedures i used to gain the  power you can get with this motor N/A
also there are turbo build threads as were stated above,  both could be found with a quick search for "performance 2.5" and "turbo project" 

as for all the individual power adders check out a search again for each one like "electric fan" or "injectors"

there is a wealth of information on this site that can be had with a little searching
im not trying to be rude but the amount some of the senior members have had to answer the same questions over and over gets frustrating.  please search first then ask if you cant find the answer

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »
By the way, there was a supercharger build going on, but apparently the guy has been really busy modifying fuel pressure regulators and improving his drive train, so I have not seen any progress on the supercharger...   Right, Sharp?  :stick:  :wall:
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »
By the way, there was a supercharger build going on, but apparently the guy has been really busy modifying fuel pressure regulators and improving his drive train, so I have not seen any progress on the supercharger...   Right, Sharp?  :stick:  :wall:

yeah, that's why i didn't mentioned it :lol:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
mahah sharp is to busy making money to finish his projects lol

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
yeah, that's why i didn't mentioned it :lol:
I'll be waiting by the mailbox.   ;)   :lol:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
I'll be waiting by the mailbox.   ;)   :lol:

X2  :whistle: :roflol:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Torch_Ind

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »
X2  :whistle: :roflol:

x3

and sorry about the 2.4L thing I swear the thread 2.4L not 2.5L I'm loosing my marbles I think lol

I know what can be done to the 2.5L

t/b and header helps did that to mine and made a big difference!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:05:53 PM by Torch_Ind »

DIYcurran

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
thank you...    I guess I  will have a look around

quicksand

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:46:40 AM »
I know this is a older post but I love to drive my 97 wrangler. I has all the pep and grunt I need for now. But always seeking to squeeze out a bit more. It keeps up with any stock 4.0L on the trail and on the freeway. I am not boosting, but just exicted I finally got it to the point its at. I would like to share my mods. First I do only run 31in BFG Muds, for now. Engine mods Home brewed cold/ram air intake with modified factory box with a K&N filter. Air is ram in thru the right head light, with bezel removed. Also air is sucked in from the bottom side of air box, with a small cone shape funnel cut thru fender well right above the shock. No it does not suck in any water or get any more dirt above average. The top of the shock mount acts as a shield. Ran a straight air tube to throttle body wraped in reflective insulated heat wrap which keeps incoming air cool. Bored out throttle body. Top side 60mm, bottom side 52mm. This keeps incoming air under presure. Custom made throttle body spacer with air pressure/velocity air blades also helps keep incoming air presurized. It is also taped at 60mm on top and down to 55mm on bottom side. It is my favorite mod, it out performed other throttle bodys. Remember your engine can only ingest certain amounts of air. I learned thru trail and error that if to much air comes in with no pressure my jeep takes off really fast but loses all torque and top speed. You do need to suck in more air but it needs to stay under pressure. I also run a accel coil which is rated at 48,000 volts, accel 8mm coils, NGK plugs gapped at .038. Stock fan niped and tucked and drilled out blades for lighter and less resistance and quicker windups. Dangerous mod not to go beyond point of no return, such as losing CFM or structaul rigidity. Magnaflow muffler, Cut of end of tail pipe downward elbow and installed a stainless steel tip for straight thru flow, works great. Does not look getto. I also run factory bumpers that are cut short with tapered angles for clearance and wieght reduction and less wind drag. I am considering a electric fan. O yeah I did add a poser stinger to my front bumper, very light and study. For looks only, made of old bunk bed light tubing and coated with bed liner. Strong enough to hold highlift jack. Eiether way she is light, fast and nimble. Next on to do list is under carraige skid plating. O I am looking in making my own aluminum rock sliders with replaceble parts. I like my lil frankenstien. Happy Wheeling.

Castr8r

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
I put in a cam and lifter kit when I had mine down, and did the electric fan, too.  That was five (?) years ago, and it's going to be freshened this winter.  This time, I'll port match intake and exhaust manifolds to the head, and maybe a little relief work around the valves.  It's been leaned on pretty hard a time or two, and I screwed up and let it get hot a couple of times- forgot to turn the fan back on after a water "crossing".  I should be getting all the power that's in there without artificial induction.

quicksand

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
How do you like that electric fan? Did you have any HP gains