Author Topic: Banks Header  (Read 4874 times)

Offline aparke4

Banks Header
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »

After much research, the overall conclusion seems to point out that the header component on the 4 banger yields little benefit. After going with a bored tb, air intake, magnaflow hi flow cat and turbo muffler I figured to round out all the add ons the banks header was the answer. I have already been so impressed by the additions so I decided to buy another banks header (already have one on the xj and love it! 4.0 btw).

The header costs roughly the same - about 350. The little guy is built like its bigger brothers: 1/2 flange, mandrel bent tubing and double tig welded throughout the whole piece and stainless tubes I believe. An added benefit is that it weighs considerably less than it stock counterpart: I would say a good 10-12 lbs less. The stock cast unit is almost like a boat anchor compared to the banks. Anyways having done this on a 6 cyl even though I vowed NEVER TO DO ONE AGAIN!! (can't you tell how much i love installing headers?!) I figured more space and 2 less cylinders would make it ok. Luckily my motor is like new with 8k on it (140k on body) - a very clean 01 TJ with zero rust. I hit everything with PB blaster just to be safe two days prior to install.

About 3 hours later taking my time with a buddy we were done! I have done this before which helped throughout the install we were chilling, drinking cold adult beverages and cruising really through the install. The only slip up was the donut: first round of tightening the downpipe up the donut did not sit right causing a exhaust leak. A little rearranging and we were good. My manifold gasket even looked brand new - oh ya it is. Anyways straight forward install. Here are my 4 cyl notes post install:

PB blast every bolt prior!

Do not forget about the two bolts under manifold: by taking off power steering pump, belt and some assorted wires you CAN get to these bolts. A good swivel socket is a must. Make sure you tighten them snug and be patient: they can be hard to get to.

Graphite greased lithium whatever donut will smoke and smell for a couple minutes while motor warms up. This is normal: keep hood open and I like to have a fan handy to blow it out of your work area.

Nothing was metric that I can remeber: 1/2 and 9/16 mostly on the hardware. My bolts looked good and reinstalled them with anti seize (same on xj with 100k) but some people do replace bolts for piece of mind. Just do a good inspection while they are out.

Always disconnect neg. side of batery so the computer can relearn fuel curve.

Manifold has two studs it sits on which is a good benchmark/ visual for reinstall of gasket and manifold.

Impressions:

A little more throatier exhaust tone.

1k - 3k RPMS seem to rip through smoother and faster.

Idle is crisp and smooth - great with hi flow cat and exhasut system at idle.

4th gear and 5th gear - most improvement on top end! I can hold 4th longer before shifting and 5th seems to use less rpms at highway speeds of 65-70.

Little more pep in throttle.

MPG - will report back.

Overall thoughts:

Fit: 5/5

Performance: I think banks headers are the best: but 4 cyl benefiting from almost 400 dollar product? Maybe a couple horses and torque points: 4/5

Cost: 2/5 - pricey

I really love the way my TJ drives but it has taken doing a lot to the motor. the banks header is not needed but if you really love your 4 cylinder or have the cash laying around it go for it. To be honest, i think I would have rather bought a set of aussie lockers. I really do like it though and now have a complete full exhaust on my TJ.

Not a great bang for the buck but banks deliverers a bad ass header and will help any 4 banger out there.

Offline aka-justin

Re: Banks Header
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Nice write up, +1  :thumbsup:
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

97 TJ - I dont wave

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,3678.0.html

Check out this read before you buy Banks.

Offline aparke4

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
so your the banks header guy! I read a lot of your problems and it sounds like you might just have bad luck. I have had a banks header on my xj for 4 years now going strong. The TJ motor mounts look good and I am putting a flex pipe on it. I will report back in a couple months if there is any mishaps.

97 TJ - I dont wave

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
oh

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:55:40 PM »
that runs the stock down pipe?

My pacesetter header, looks much longer tubes and comes with new down-pipe making it i think 2 inch right in to the cat.  was also cheaper the a Banks.

power wise I don't know if it helped other then sound cause I put in a fresh eng when I installed it and also got a 64mm tb and port matched the intake to the tb and to the head. so with that combo it made quite a bit of difference doing the combo.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:13:15 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
My pacesetter header, looks much longer tubes and comes with new down-pipe making it i think 2 inch right in to the cat.  was also cheaper the a Banks.
Don't forget they are also made out of rust.   :lol:  I like the Pacesetter's design with the long torque tubes but their choice of material could have been better.

I still haven't heard some anyone with a Borla having cracking issues.  :confused:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
Don't forget they are also made out of rust.   :lol:  I like the Pacesetter's design with the long torque tubes but their choice of material could have been better.

I still haven't heard some anyone with a Borla having cracking issues.  :confused:

I have had mine about 2 years now with no problems. and I live in high salt for winter conditions !!!!

ORILEY

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
 I've had mine on for only a short time now, but have without a doubt felt a definite performance gain. The best benefit being the extra torque/power needed for some of my daily hill climbs on my daily  80 commute to work thru the many hills in my area.(lets face it every bit helps).

Torch_Ind

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
I've had mine on for only a short time now, but have without a doubt felt a definite performance gain. The best benefit being the extra torque/power needed for some of my daily hill climbs on my daily  80 commute to work thru the many hills in my area.(lets face it every bit helps).

the banks or pacesetter

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
My banks header has a crack in it. Ive had it for about 2yrs now. It is a risk i was aware of prior to purchase but i still have my receipt and im pretty sure banks has a lifetime warranty on it. Also, my banks cat back monster exhaust has gotten louder, but im not sure if it's due to the header crack.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline aparke4

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »
Ok update!
Header is fine with normal surface coloration from heat and moisture.
No cracks or leaks.
I have installed a flex pipe near the header to reduce vibrations that would be transmitted to header thus causing the infamous cracking. My TJ exhaust is very rigid and without flex pipe I am sure a leak would ensue with daily driving.
Everything is pretty happy thus far.
Oh and I am not sure if pacesetter makes a header for my 01 but I have seen them rot through. The finish on them also is not super durable but cost I would think makes up for it and I wish banks made a downpipe still for TJ and XJ models. I know they used to at one point in time.

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
I have installed a flex pipe near the header to reduce vibrations that would be transmitted to header thus causing the infamous cracking. My TJ exhaust is very rigid and without flex pipe I am sure a leak would ensue with daily driving.
do you have a pic of the flex pipe? Im assuming you installed it where the down pipe meets the header?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline aparke4

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »
i can snap a pic for ya

i was not sure about the dang pre cat bulb/ resonator so i went just south of that before the flange that meets the muffler pipe with a small piece of flex

ideally you would like to have it near the header on the down pipe

pics soon