Author Topic: My new acquisition!  (Read 1252 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
My new acquisition!
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
So, as part of the benefits of being a club member in a club that is recognized by the Costa Rican government is that I get to buy and use a 2m radio without having to pay taxes (keep in mind we are part of the official emergency response plan, so we are encouraged to take advantage of this so that we can communicate with the fire department and the police in case of emergency).

So, anyway, I got myself a brand new Yaesu FT-270R like this one:

Quote from: yaesu.com

SUMMARY

The FT-270R is a compact, high-performance FM hand-held providing up to five Watts of RF power, along with big audio output (800 mW) and unmatched protection against the elements!

Protected against water ingress to IPX7 specifications (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet), the FT-270R features long operating time, thanks to the supplied 1400 mAh NiMH Battery Pack.

The 16-key FT-270R includes direct keyboard frequency entry and direct DTMF input, along with quick one-touch access to YAESU’s exciting and fun WiRES-II™ VoIP Internet Linking system!

FEATURES

5 Watts Output
     The FT-270R provides 5 Watts of solid power
Large Backlit LCD Display
     Want a handheld with a display you can actually see?! The FT-270R is the handheld for you.

Submersible!
     The FT-270R conforms to IPX7 specifications for submersibility (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of one meter).

Outstanding Receiver Audio
     The FT-270R's hefty 800 mW of audio provides plenty of volume when operating in a noisy environment.

1400 mAh Battery Pack Yields Long Operating Time
     The FT-270R is supplied with a long-life 1400 mAh Ni-MH Battery Pack, for extended operating time during search-and-rescue or public service event operations.

Power Saving Circuit Design
     The FT-270R design includes Yaesu's exclusive power saving circuit design to ensure longer operating time that most other handhelds with comparable batteries.

Expanded Receiver Coverage
     The receiver's frequency range is 136-174 MHz, covering many public service, marine, and government channels.

User Password
     To prevent an unauthorized person from using your FT-270R, you may engage a security password that must be keyed in prior to operation, if you like.

200 Memory Channels
     The 200 memories may be partitioned into as many as 10 memory groups. Alpha-numeric labeling is available on all memories.

Keyboard Frequency Entry
     Operating frequencies may be entered directly from the front panel keypad, which may also be used for quick recall of memory channels by number.

Weather Broadcast Channels
     In the U.S. version, a dedicated special memory bank of ten NOAA Weather Channels is available, with a "Severe Weather" alert capability.

EAI (Emergency Automatic ID) Feature
     Ideal for search-and-rescue work, the EAI feature can be commanded on so as to identify your FT-270R, and engage your PTT and microphone, remotely in an emergency situation. So if you don't check in during a search, help can be dispatched, with the automatic TX function allowing others to perform direction finding.

Split Tone Capability
     Besides the usual CTCSS and DCS Encode/Decode features you've come to know and love on a Yaesu transceiver, the FT-270R includes a "Split Tone" capability that allows you to Encode a CTCSS tone, and Decode DCS, or vice-versa. You can also Encode (without decoding) either CTCSS or DCS.

Other Features:
- Enhanced Paging and Code Squelch
- Automatic Repeater Shift
- Memory-Only operating
- Scanning Mode: VFO / Memory / PMS / Dual Watch
- Nine DTMF Auto-dialer memories
- Two Front Panel programmable keys
- Keypad/Dial Lockout capability
- RF Squelch
- Battery Voltage Display
- TX Deviation Level (5 kHz or 2.5 kHz)
- Transmit Time-out Timer and Automatic Power-Off
- Busy Channel Lock-out
- ARTS (Auto-range Transponding System) that "beeps" the user when you move out of communications range 

Anyway, I am just learning to use this thing, but so far, I LIKE IT!  You can program it from the handheld itself (no need for a PC!).  You just need to keep the manual handy, as it has SO MANY features, it is easy to get lost in the menus...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: My new acquisition!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
Have an Amateur Band Radio License?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
Have an Amateur Band Radio License?

I'm working on one, but because we are part of the official emergency response plan, theoretically, we dont need it (for Costa Rica only; if I travel to Panama or anywhere else, then I do, which is why I want to get it).  Of course, we are limited to specific frequencies (if we dont keep ourselves in those, we get into trouble).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I'm working on one, but because we are part of the official emergency response plan, theoretically, we dont need it (for Costa Rica only; if I travel to Panama or anywhere else, then I do, which is why I want to get it).  Of course, we are limited to specific frequencies (if we dont keep ourselves in those, we get into trouble).
Well in an Emergency situation anyone can use any frequency.  When it's not a emergency, you need a license.  Also, it helps keep track of who you're talking to.  This is important in an emergency as you're usually sent to some preplanned location.

I have a Yaesu FT-1500 (2M) in the Jeep and I used to have a VR-5 (tri-band) but sold it.  I'd like to get a small VR-3 (dual-band) since it's so compact.  it can also be used as a scanner and if you mod it, you can talk on FRS channels with a new antenna.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »
I have a couple of friends who are into Ham radio, and since I would like to talk to them, I want to get the license (I am not sure even with the repeaters I can reach that far, but I want to try!).

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
I have a couple of friends who are into Ham radio, and since I would like to talk to them, I want to get the license (I am not sure even with the repeaters I can reach that far, but I want to try!).
5W isn't much and if you're in a valley or a in the city you might not reach far.  Really though, unlike CB, you'll be using as little wattage as possible.  So if you can hit a repeater you'll probably be using 1w or less.  You might also want to buy an antenna to attach to the Jeep.  Higher db will hlp amplify the signal so your 5w could turn into 15w with a decent antenna.

I was a Emergency Radio operator for a while, too.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
5W isn't much and if you're in a valley or a in the city you might not reach far.  Really though, unlike CB, you'll be using as little wattage as possible.  So if you can hit a repeater you'll probably be using 1w or less.  You might also want to buy an antenna to attach to the Jeep.  Higher db will hlp amplify the signal so your 5w could turn into 15w with a decent antenna.

I was a Emergency Radio operator for a while, too.

I wonder if FireStick makes a Firefly antena for 2m, so that I can run the 11m one on one side and the 2m one on the other, each over one tail light.  And, by the way, do linear amplifiers work on 2m?  I have one for the 11m (I have yet to use it, to be honest, but it's there and it is hooked up) that I could switch to the 2m radio...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
I'd go with a Larson NMO-150.  It's what I have and it's a nice antenna.  I think it's 4.3db.

You really have to not think of the radio the same way as you see CB.  It's not about how many watts you put out.  It's about using as little as possible.  5W with a decent antenna will get you pretty damn far.  Hit a local repeater and you're broadcasting 100 miles from that repeater.  If you had more power it still doesn't mean you will be able to RX which makes it pointless.  You will learn this is you study for the exam.  There is really no need for a linear amp with HAM radios.  You can buy mobile units that have 50-75w.  My FT-1500 has 5, 25 and 50w settings.  I usually leave it on 5w.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
I guess I have a lot of studying to do still... 

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:29 PM »
I guess I have a lot of studying to do still...  
Technically, you can take the test without having to buy a book but the books help.  You can study the question pool as the questions are all known before hand.  There are no trick questions.

http://www.eham.net/

If I was doing it again, I'd take the Tech and the General tests one after the other in one sitting.  When I got my license, there was the Code portion which was always a PITA to learn.  They removed it since code isn't really used anymore.  Although people still use it in HF.  General will give you HF which is nice.  2M, 440 and 6M aren't long distance communications.  You're only going to about 200 miles with line of sight.  That would mean you would have to be on the fringe of the 100 miles of the repeater.  Sometimes depending on the weather you can bounce your signal in the upper atmosphere and gets carried further out.
HF will get you around the world or close to it depending on the weather and time of day.

I'll probably get my General one of these days.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:44:22 PM by Jeffy »