Author Topic: 8.8 swap, SOA Conversion?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline 95jeeper

8.8 swap, SOA Conversion?
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
Starting next weekend ill be tackling an 8.8 axle swap. Just got it back from getting re-geared from 4.10 to 4.88. Trying to decide if i should go ahead and do a SOA conversion or not. Ill have to weld on new perches any way so should i just go ahead and do it now while im working on it. I already have about 5 inchs with leafs and shackles. With the added lift ill naturally want bigger tires to fill the extra space but im afraid ill be right back where i started with the 4 banger not putting out, and wanting to regear again. idk just trying to figure out if itll be a good idea or not....
95 rio grande 4" Skyjacker lift 1" shackel 33" tires, efan, 4.0TB, kn air filter, exhaust, and sound system. NV3550 conversion

knotts89

Re: 8.8 swap, SOA Conversion?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:25:22 AM »
if ur happy with how high it is i woud keep it that way, 4.88s and 33s is what i have and it is pretty decent but i wouldnt want to go to a bigger tire unless i had more power or maybe some 5.13 gears

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »
Do not run SOA with 5" of suspension lift, it'll be stupid high and you'll never be able to make driveshafts work.  Consider stock springs or about 1.5" max when running SOA.  If you need more tire clearance, trim sheetmetal.

Offline 95jeeper

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
Do not run SOA with 5" of suspension lift, it'll be stupid high and you'll never be able to make driveshafts work.  Consider stock springs or about 1.5" max when running SOA.  If you need more tire clearance, trim sheetmetal.

Yeah thats the plan! Ordering some tj fender flares and trimming out the extra metal. Thanks for the input. Project starts after Christmas.
95 rio grande 4" Skyjacker lift 1" shackel 33" tires, efan, 4.0TB, kn air filter, exhaust, and sound system. NV3550 conversion

yjsandaddict

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »
A SOA with those springs isn't as bad as it may sound, I run 4" springs SOA on 33's and like it, I haven't had any drive shaft trouble and I don't think it looks too bad either, I did put in an Advance Adapters SYE and CV Tom Woods Shaft and no skid plate drop, works great with no vibrations, I would do the SOA, the performance was much better on mine, I can even rub a tire on the fender with that lift and 33's, you might also want to redrill perches since your drive shaft will be short and stretch it 1.5" front and rear, if you don't like the height you can pull a leaf from the packs too and put spring wedges in to change pinion angle for different springs, those gears will be much better I just did 5.13 in mine, maybe put you Jeep on jack stands to see if you like the height, I'm sure people won't agree but just my opinion, I would definitely do the SOA, Good Luck! :beers:

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:34:59 AM »
A SOA with those springs isn't as bad as it may sound, I run 4" springs SOA on 33's and like it, I haven't had any drive shaft trouble and I don't think it looks too bad either, I did put in an Advance Adapters SYE and CV Tom Woods Shaft and no skid plate drop, works great with no vibrations, I would do the SOA, the performance was much better on mine, I can even rub a tire on the fender with that lift and 33's, you might also want to redrill perches since your drive shaft will be short and stretch it 1.5" front and rear, if you don't like the height you can pull a leaf from the packs too and put spring wedges in to change pinion angle for different springs, those gears will be much better I just did 5.13 in mine, maybe put you Jeep on jack stands to see if you like the height, I'm sure people won't agree but just my opinion, I would definitely do the SOA, Good Luck! :beers:

That's WAY too much lift for me if you run 33's; I run 33's with just a 4" and no trimming.  I do rub a bit only in the rear but just at maximum flex (and, mostly, when running tire chains, although once or twice i have had it rub without).  If you go with SOA AND 4", you would be getting about 8 or 9" of lift...  which means you woul dbe clearing at least 38's (and probably 40's)!!!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

yjsandaddict

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
It is high for those tires, I think 37's and 1.5" springs with trimming will be perfect for mine, but it works for now, here are a few pics of how it looks

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:21:57 PM by Jeffy »

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
It is high for those tires, I think 37's and 1.5" springs with trimming will be perfect for mine, but it works for now, here are a few pics of how it looks
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/yfzsandaddict/jeep1.jpg
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/yfzsandaddict/jeep3.jpg
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/yfzsandaddict/jeep2.jpg

If you go to 37's, then it would look better, but I prefer a more balanced look.  Here's how mine sits with 4" of lift and 33's:

'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

yjsandaddict

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »
I think it really comes down to what you plan on using it for and the look you want, either way as long as you use the Jeep thats all that matters, let us know what you choose and how it turns out, good luck

DodgeMudder

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
I have a different thought for you, since if you use the lift you currently have and go SOA in the rear you will have considerably more height and unless you stay in the 33-35" tire size which I'm guessing your already running, you will need a stronger front which will make the 8.8 a poor choise since the front wont have the same bolt pattern/width w/o custom work, I would go stock Chevy full size front springs (mid 80's blazer or 1/2ton) SOA in the rear it will move the axle back about 1/2" and will give you matching height to the front, keep the front SUA w/ the 5" and have a real nice stable & flexy suspension.  If you DD this Jeep as well as wheel it, this should be a great set-up to have.

My $0.02

Offline 95jeeper

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
Thanks for the input. So far i've decided to keep it sua. Im still waiting on some warranted rear leafs from skyjacker to cure my saggy rear end ilve been trying to fix. Guess it paid off to get a nice lift with an awesome warranty.  I'm trying to keep my jeep a DD but also weekend warrior. I really just want to clear 35's, and be able to drive it down interstate without it being slammed in 4th with  wot. After i get ever thing back together ill see how the 4.88s run with the 33s which will determine whether or not i get a set of 35s.
Should have the leafs in by the end of the week and rolling by saturday. Ill post some pics of the project

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
Thanks for the input. So far i've decided to keep it sua. Im still waiting on some warranted rear leafs from skyjacker to cure my saggy rear end ilve been trying to fix. Guess it paid off to get a nice lift with an awesome warranty.  I'm trying to keep my jeep a DD but also weekend warrior. I really just want to clear 35's, and be able to drive it down interstate without it being slammed in 4th with  wot. After i get ever thing back together ill see how the 4.88s run with the 33s which will determine whether or not i get a set of 35s.
Should have the leafs in by the end of the week and rolling by saturday. Ill post some pics of the project

4.88 and 33's is what I run; it is not horrible, but I rarely use 5th gear (which you mention you ont want to loose).  Keep in mind all the charts consider only the gear relationship, but none account for more aerodynamic drag (caused by bigger, wider tires, lift, etc.) or rolling ressistance (heavier, taller tires).  Go to 35's, and say goodby altogether to 5th...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:25 PM »
4.88 and 33's is what I run; it is not horrible, but I rarely use 5th gear (which you mention you ont want to loose).  Keep in mind all the charts consider only the gear relationship, but none account for more aerodynamic drag (caused by bigger, wider tires, lift, etc.) or rolling ressistance (heavier, taller tires).  Go to 35's, and say goodby altogether to 5th...
Hmmm, I use 5th all the time and I'm running 4.56's.  Not for hills but then 5th is OD.  I don't have to shift into 4th at WOT either.  The best performance will be from 2nd and 3rd gears as you already have the vehicle in motion.  You do have to let the RPM's build and not shift too early which means planning out your attach ahead of time. (on and offroad) I typically let the RPM's get well into the powerband, +3300 RPM or so.  This makes sure you're turning enough revs that you're not lugging the engine.  I wouldn't say it's optimal but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out be to.  I do miss the performance of smaller tires though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
Hmmm, I use 5th all the time and I'm running 4.56's.  Not for hills but then 5th is OD.  I don't have to shift into 4th at WOT either.  The best performance will be from 2nd and 3rd gears as you already have the vehicle in motion.  You do have to let the RPM's build and not shift too early which means planning out your attach ahead of time. (on and offroad) I typically let the RPM's get well into the powerband, +3300 RPM or so.  This makes sure you're turning enough revs that you're not lugging the engine.  I wouldn't say it's optimal but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out be to.  I do miss the performance of smaller tires though.

Keep in mind I changed the gears before the tires...  Ahhh, the memories...  31's and 4.88....  Wish I could go to 5.13!

Offline 95jeeper

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »
Well i finally finished the swap. Still have a few more things i need to do but she's rolling again.

Still working on the brakes. Been having a lot of trouble getting them bled out. Haven't really had the time lately to work on it tho.