Author Topic: Stupid Jeep, Part 23  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Stupid Jeep, Part 23
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
Grrrrrr....went on a nice two track run in the snow yesterday.....seemed to be having some pressure from the front end, thought it might be a wheel bearing...still not sure.  Wouldn't stay in 4WD very well, so I did 99% of the run in 2WD...linkage must need adjusting.   And then, driving to a club dinner last night, the Jeep starting making a nice short burst of screeching when I would accelerate.  Drove home on back roads so I didn't have to go above 35 or 40 mph.  Was shifting at around 1500 rpm to keep things as low as possible.  It helped.  Thinking it may be a drive shaft bearing. 

Buddy is coming tomorrow with trailer to take it back to his garage for the once over....oh joy.... :'(
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Dylan

Re: Stupid Jeep, Part 23
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
If keeping the engine RPMs down helps, I'd lean toward a slipping serpentine belt or a bearing going out in one of the belt-driven components (usually idler pulley or alternator).

4BangerTJ

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:54:17 AM »
I was going to say the same thing.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:34:16 AM »
Makes sense...and sounds a lot cheaper than where my mind was wandering.... :thumbsup:

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »
Diagnosis....transfer case kaplooey!!!

Bought one off of a club member for $150....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:46:23 PM »
Diagnosis....transfer case kaplooey!!!

Bought one off of a club member for $150....
Stop, Atlas Time!   :doggy:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:46:40 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »
Stop, Atlas Time!   :doggy:

No way...unless I get a good bonus in a few weeks...if so, new engine (with automatic trans) and atlas will be installed.... :thumbsup:

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
No way...unless I get a good bonus in a few weeks...if so, new engine (with automatic trans) and atlas will be installed.... :thumbsup:

Wussy  :wall:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
Wussy  :wall:
It's to make up for his poor choice of gears.   :lol:
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »
It's to make up for his poor choice of gears.   :lol:

we'll see....we'll see....I WILL have the last laugh...boo hah hah HAH HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

:fitz:

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
hmmmm...t-case was cracked open...no oil...none in my garage....guess it's all over the highway somewhere......unfortunately, output shaft on my extreme short sye needs to be replaced.  Going to go ahead and just get a new kit since they charge almost as much for a replacement shaft as the entire kit costs....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
hmmmm...t-case was cracked open...no oil...none in my garage....guess it's all over the highway somewhere......unfortunately, output shaft on my extreme short sye needs to be replaced.  Going to go ahead and just get a new kit since they charge almost as much for a replacement shaft as the entire kit costs....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Yeah, that would cause some problems.  I know I have oil in mine from the drips.   :lol:

Dylan

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »
Yeah, that would cause some problems.  I know I have oil in mine from the drips.   :lol:
Sounds like my old Bug:  oil drips, no problem... no oil dripping, it's empty.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Mine never dripped....decided to switch from the TerFlex extreme short sye to the JB Conversion Super Short just in case that was where the issue was....wanted the JB Conversion unit in the first place.  Seems like a better unit based on the comparison they do with the Terflex unit on their web page.  Will be nice to have an off the shelf Rubicon speed sensor in there now...wonder if my speedo will suddenly start working after this is fixed??  Maybe the tone ring was the problem??   :confused:

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
Mine never dripped....decided to switch from the TerFlex extreme short sye to the JB Conversion Super Short just in case that was where the issue was....wanted the JB Conversion unit in the first place.  Seems like a better unit based on the comparison they do with the Terflex unit on their web page.  Will be nice to have an off the shelf Rubicon speed sensor in there now...wonder if my speedo will suddenly start working after this is fixed??  Maybe the tone ring was the problem??   :confused:

I would agree with JB's junk being night and day better than Tera's junk.
Now just slap a 4:1 Klune in front of the 231 and call it good. It would stand up to that mythical hemi.  :whistle:  :lol:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod: