Author Topic: BMW Four-Cylinder Engines Return to US in 2011  (Read 710 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
BMW Four-Cylinder Engines Return to US in 2011
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
BMW Four-Cylinder Engines Return to US in 2011

New 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder offers performance of a six

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – January 28, 2011... BMW announced the return of a four-cylinder engine to the US BMW line-up for the first time in since 1999. Like the company's latest 3.0-liter turbo inline six, the new 2.0-liter engine will combine twin-scroll turbocharging with high-pressure direct-injection and BMW's VALVETRONIC intake control. With 240 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, it offers more power and torque than BMW's normally aspirated 3.0-liter inline six. It will arrive later in 2011.

Maximum output of 240 horsepower is achieved at 5,000 rpm, 1,500 rpm lower than in the normally-aspirated 3.0-liter inline six. The peak torque of 260 lb-ft, comes on stream at just 1,250 rpm. Not only is that 30% more torque than the aforementioned inline six, it also peaks 1,500 rpm earlier. The vigorous power comes on early and climbs steadily all the way to redline.

The four-cylinder engine with its all-aluminum crankcase is lighter and more compact than a six-cylinder engine of equivalent power. The turbocharger is a twin-scroll system. The exhaust streams leaving the two pairs of cylinders are kept completely separate as they flow through the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger, taking a spiral path to the turbine wheel. This configuration results in very low exhaust back pressure at low engine rpm, and allows the energy of the exhaust gas pulses to be optimally managed and translated into powerful rotation of the turbine blades, without a delay in throttle response.

The patented BMW VALVETRONIC system with seamlessly variable intake valve lift control dispenses with the throttle valve system typical of conventional engines. Instead, combustion air mass is controlled inside the engine, resulting in much faster response. Pumping losses are kept to a minimum, making the engine more efficient.

The High Precision Injection direct-injection system also helps to improve efficiency. Centrally positioned between the valves, solenoid injectors with a maximum injection pressure of 200 bar (2,900 psi) precisely control the supply of fuel. The fuel is injected very close to the spark plug, resulting in clean and homogeneous combustion.

The cooling effect of the injected fuel also allows for a higher compression ratio than might otherwise be possible. This results in further efficiency improvements.

US-specific model and timing information will follow at a later date, but this new chapter in the story of BMW EfficientDynamics will arrive later this year.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
Re: BMW Four-Cylinder Engines Return to US in 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
Could be a great engine.   The twin-turbo 6s BMW started selling mid-last decade were said to be underrated power-wise and were winning a few awards also. 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »
this one can probably be tuned to over 300HP easily, i wonder if they limited the power on purpose.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
BMW moved back to single turbos on several models due to reliability and other issues, the hot rods still have twins.... :)

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:01 AM »
Didn't they have some motorcycles with 4 cyl engines?
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »

lots of sport bikes are 4 cylinder. just really small displacement.  my YZF600rg was 600cc 4 cylinder that I used to own. I think they have up to 1.4L or 1400cc now in Kawasaki I believe..

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
Those were the K series.  A flat four.  Honda made one for their Goldwing earlier.  This eventually turned into the flat six.  I think that's the extent of the flat/horizontally opposed engines.  There have been I4's as well as V4's.  Most of the really early bikes were I4's as they didn't make that much HP with smaller engines.

Later you get most of the Japanese big bikes with a transverse I4.  They still dominate the market with their literbikes.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
1300 CC 4 Cylinder sport bike. 172HP
1600 CC 6 cylinder touring bike. 160 HP engine is 100 lbs.... :)

I believe the 1300 is well over 200HP in race trim on race gas.

and some crazy buggers sell turbo kits for both.... Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio