Author Topic: Cant find the leak in my SM465.  (Read 1993 times)

C.Redbeardd

Cant find the leak in my SM465.
« on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »
So my SM465 transmission was installed about 6 months ago. I cant notice any obvious leak on the tranny. Its just leaking onto the skid plate and dripping off that. It only leaks after I have been driving it and the oil is warm and thins out. Around town its not bad and only a couple of drops. But when I drive it on the highway for about an hour or more is when it gets bad. It will just puddle up under my jeep. Its got a novak adapter to the transfer case.. Thats the only spot I think it might be leaking.. Is there any reason that it might be leaking through that adapter and/or any suggestions how to fix this, if that is the case? Any more places I might look for a leak?

Thanks, it just gets annoying. Any help would be great.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Cant find the leak in my SM465.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
So my SM465 transmission was installed about 6 months ago. I cant notice any obvious leak on the tranny. Its just leaking onto the skid plate and dripping off that. It only leaks after I have been driving it and the oil is warm and thins out. Around town its not bad and only a couple of drops. But when I drive it on the highway for about an hour or more is when it gets bad. It will just puddle up under my jeep. Its got a novak adapter to the transfer case.. Thats the only spot I think it might be leaking.. Is there any reason that it might be leaking through that adapter and/or any suggestions how to fix this, if that is the case? Any more places I might look for a leak?

Thanks, it just gets annoying. Any help would be great.

does it have a vent tube? or just a vent hole on top of the tranny, maybe the tube is pulled and sips out at high speed/high temp when the fluid gets thin.

did you use rtv on the adapter on both t-case and transmission side, looks like it seals the transmission fluid on the mating surfaces (so that can be the case like you mentioned).

'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
Bad seal, pinched seal, dry seal...You could do the talc powder trick to see where it's leaking form exactly.  Run teh Jeep then when you park it, wipe down the transmission then hit it with some talc. and them come back later.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

C.Redbeardd

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
I think it may be a bad seal of rtv around the adapters. But the seals should be good. The thing was completely rebuilt.. Hmm.. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to drop the skid one of these days when I find time.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »
I never use rtv on transmissions, always a paper gasket coated both sides with copper coat.
Yes its a bitch to get off, but I hate leaks... Manila file folders make great paper gaskets in a pinch....

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

C.Redbeardd

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
I never use rtv on transmissions, always a paper gasket coated both sides with copper coat.
Yes its a bitch to get off, but I hate leaks... Manila file folders make great paper gaskets in a pinch....

Dave

Hmmm... thanks. Guess I learn something new everyday. Haha.