Author Topic: Inertia Ring? Anybody?  (Read 1521 times)

fireman411

Inertia Ring? Anybody?
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
Was going to do an engine swap but came across the idea for an inertia ring. I have the 90 2.5l.
Will this be something worth doing?
Will I see better highway speed/maitaining?
Will this work in my advantage in tallahassee where theres alot of hills?

P.s Everyone has been very helpful with all my other post. Thank you

RatherBeJeeping

Re: Inertia Ring? Anybody?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
I had one of these in my rig back in my 2.5L days- could chug the engine down so low that it wouldn't read on the tach and a blip of the throttle revved it right back up. You'd swear it had stalled most the time.

It took a little more to get going on the street from a light due to the heavier mass. Once at speed it held a lot better and cruised along at 70 mph without effort.

DodgeMudder

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
Anyone have any links to these?  I have never heard of them.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
Anyone have any links to these?  I have never heard of them.

http://www.tricountygear.com/tri-country/tcg-engineered.html

You will need to contact them for price info.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

fireman411

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:14:29 PM »
Well thats a little more comforting to see more people have used them. So running down the road does it do any better with gas milage? And how about the hills on the road?

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
It basically helps store a bit of energy, has no real effect on milage.
You think of it as an heavier flywheel,when it spins at speed it has a certain amount of energy stored in it. Because of its weight and rotational speed it kind of resists a change in speed so it helps maintain speed longer by releasing some of the energy in it, in other words it wants to keep spinning at the same speed. Hope this makes sense and explains the theory behind it and yes it work especially for crawling, at highway speed it will help a bit, but that is not really what it's intended for, it's more for climbing a hill or anything that try's to change engine RPM for a relatively short time period.
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
Will this be something worth doing?

Depends on what you plan to do with the Jeep.  In my case, yes, it was worth it (I was changing the clutch anyway, though).  What it does is allow you to drop the RPM's without stalling the engine (it ussually can bounce back). 

Will I see better highway speed/maitaining?

No

Will this work in my advantage in tallahassee where theres alot of hills?

If you crawl, yes.  It helps when you keep it in 1st in 4Lo.  Before, any rock would make the Jeep stall, but with the inertia ring, the engine can recover better.

Hope this helps!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Wheezer

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
This really interests me. But I have one question... How does it work on long downhills?  I'm thinking that once you wind 'er up it may be a little difficult to slow it down again.  What say you?

Wheezer

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »
This really interests me. But I have one question... How does it work on long downhills?  I'm thinking that once you wind 'er up it may be a little difficult to slow it down again.  What say you?

Wheezer
It's not that much weight.  We're not talking about a huge flywheel that's gonna prevent you from stopping.  :lol:

There's a writeup on 4x4wire.com from Paul Nasvik.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 07:32:51 AM »
It's not that much weight.  We're not talking about a huge flywheel that's gonna prevent you from stopping.  :lol:

There's a writeup on 4x4wire.com from Paul Nasvik.

It's only 9 pounds, after all...  And here's the link to that write up.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost