Author Topic: Switch Panel  (Read 5183 times)

Quite Happy

Re: Switch Panel
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
Engrave the titles all the way through, paint the metal white inside the cut, and put a dash light behind it?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
Engrave the titles all the way through, paint the metal white inside the cut, and put a dash light behind it?

how do you do that for ON, OFF, OUT, AUTO, LOCK - all the Os and center of the A would fall out. Same for the titles, don't even want to think how Radiator or Front Locker would look like (add lowercase e to the list) :lol:

I was thinking painted plexy and milled out letters and lines + a few super bright LEDs behind the panel, but these guys don't offer that option unfortunately
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Quite Happy

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
how do you do that for ON, OFF, OUT, AUTO, LOCK - all the Os and center of the A would fall out. Same for the titles, don't even want to think how Radiator or Front Locker would look like (add lowercase e to the list) :lol:

I was thinking painted plexy and milled out letters and lines + a few super bright LEDs behind the panel, but these guys don't offer that option unfortunately

I guess I didn't think that one through before posting.  Glow paint would work for about 20 minutes.  Maybe a couple of strategically mounted LEDs on the front, similar to a maplight.  My wife has one for her Nook so she can read at night.  You wouldn't need much to illuminate the white letters against the black background, and if they're pointed at the panel, they wouldn't disrupt your vision while driving.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »
I hate the look of switches with built-in LED's.  That's why I always use the big toggle switches.  They are fairly compact, at least on the switch side and look clean.  They have a nice feel to them as well.  You won't have to worry about breaking them either.  Not to mention being able to use VAC switches.  VDC switches are a bit harder to come by if you want nice ones that don't feel cheap.

If you want LED's you can always wire a small LED for each.  It's easy since LED's can be small but are bright enough to easily be seen.

I'd go with laser engraved as it's a hell of a lot nicer then having to punch letters.  Although I left mine blank.  I'll probably use a labeler as it's the Race-Spec way of doing it.   :lol:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:07:58 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:55 AM »
I just have some auto start small ones on the dash that control the relays to witch i want controlled.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the switch guards, the toggle switches and the leds, switches and leds were $17 (altogether and that is with a few extra spare switches and leds) from MPJA online - all switches are rated at 15A/125v, switch guards were pricey (10 pieces at $3/guard) but the shipping was free so not that bad really.

this is how the switches look like

EDIT: not going to use the On/Off plate, that will go in the garbage

I will have 6 SPDT On-On (will only use 1 throw but chose these as it doesn't matter the position I will have 1 set of poles connected so i don't have to worry how the holes in the panel are cut), 1 of the SPDT Momentary-Off-Momentary and 1 of the SPDT On-Off-On

i decided to go with bright LEDs that are white body and will light up different colors.  there's not much room behind the panel to install miniature lamps as it will hit the body of the switch so really i have no option other than making it wider which would mess up my plan as where to install it. I'll post an updated design later with the LED holes in it (i'll use a drop of glue to keep them in and bend the terminals to clear the body of the toggle switches).

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:31:51 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
this is the final version (I hope)

top row of LEDs would be red, bottom ones green and yellow for the monitor LEDs on Air compressor (on when the clutch would be engaged), Radiator Fan (would light up when fan turns on) and Sway bar disconnect (would turn on when disconnected not when the switch is in the ON position)

Quite Happy

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 11:21:02 AM »
Looks awesome.  Hope you're better than I am at taming all those wires.  There looks to be a lot of them.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
You probably don't need LED's on the momentary since it will spring back to OFF naturally.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
You probably don't need LED's on the momentary since it will spring back to OFF naturally.

you're right, but just wanted to be consistent with the other ones

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »
ok, another shot at the final version, this is 8.4'' wide (the other one was 8'') and a couple of minor changes. I got the switches and LEDs today, switch guards earlier this week - i'll take some pics of those as well sometime and post them. Just need to place the order for the panel now and embark on the wiring mission afterwards  :baby: