Author Topic: What's the best diff fluid?  (Read 4143 times)

RT

Re: What's the best diff fluid?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
and just tighten until it doesn't do that anymore?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

Well, if you have a crush sleeve for setting the bearing preload then you have to be careful not to overtighten it, but basically yes.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

No Luck

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »

was it loose?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »

to correctly set the preload on the pinion bearings you need a new crush sleeve and to take the carrier out. If it has play then i say take it straight back to the shop that did the work.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

RT

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
I took recordings of my drivetrain at my Bellhouse, front axletube, and rear axletube and it's definitely something from the rear half of my drivetrain but I'm not sure if it's my differential. I'm going to take a video of my driveshaft and see if it's unbalanced or they reinstalled it incorrectly. I'll let you guys know when I figure it out.

RT

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »
Ok there wasn't too much play, but when you turn it it doesn't make that nice clean *dung* sound my frond diff does.....its more like a *clu-tunk* like the kid of noise when you shake a gun but deeper pitch. I know I'm kinda herping and derping on the descriptions but hay, also there's gear oil all over everything, it's all the way up on the yoke and pinion nut.