Author Topic: AVENGER supercharger for the 2.5L  (Read 6316 times)

RT

AVENGER supercharger for the 2.5L
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
What do you guys think of it?

chitchc2

Re: AVENGER supercharger for the 2.5L
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
Looks legitimate but I would think you would need some bottom end build to support that kind of increase.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
Looks legitimate but I would think you would need some bottom end build to support that kind of increase.

what kind of increase?

it's expensive though and I don't recall if they had an intercooler or not.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

RT

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's intercooled and I think you get a 60hp increase

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
what kind of increase?

it's expensive though and I don't recall if they had an intercooler or not.
It has a Air to water intercooler that doubles as an adapter for the SC.

The only problem I have with the Avenger are two thing.  So technically there are two problems.  One is the price.  The second is that it uses the stock EFI and there have been known problems with the system not being able to keep up.  In which case people are using the Split Second piggy back system to solve.  If you're in CA, the Avenger is CARB certified but if you piggy back it you might not be legal anymore.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
they have a reflashed PCM for JK along with a 2bar map sensor, all the other kits seem to only include larger injectors which would make their operation thru the whole range questionable (at $4000 should really at least include the Split Second PSC and installation instructions, is not that expensive and they could have included a pre-tuned map for it so people don't have to do their own research or at least provide a starting point).

here's what they say about the JK kit:

We will be updating our website in the near future, but until then we wanted to share some information on our new 2007-2010 Jeep JK Supercharger kit. This kit is an upgrade from the kit that we have been offering and includes a 2.0 Bar MAP sensor, larger 400cc injectors and most importantly a DiabloSport Predator or Trinity with a custom tune to make everything work. This is the FIRST fully reflashed JK Supercharger kit on the market and delivers a 55% increase in horsepower and 56% increase in torque.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

RT

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
How would the AX5 handle the extra power.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:52:15 PM »

same as without it, not very well...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
they have a reflashed PCM for JK along with a 2bar map sensor, all the other kits seem to only include larger injectors which would make their operation thru the whole range questionable (at $4000 should really at least include the Split Second PSC and installation instructions, is not that expensive and they could have included a pre-tuned map for it so people don't have to do their own research or at least provide a starting point).

here's what they say about the JK kit:

The 2.5L comes with larger injectors.  Why are you looking at the JK?
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »
I think it can handle it with proper shifting.  HP wise, you're looking at around 170HP IIRC which is still below 190HP of the 4.0L.  If you're not slamming the gears and don't downshift without rev matching it should hold up fine.  It's only when you start beating on the transmission that it will give up.  Although you can swap a AX-15, NV3550, or even a Toyota W56 in it's place.  It's funny how the AX-5 gets such a bad wrap but the W56 is praised while it's basically the same transmission.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:24:39 AM »
The 2.5L comes with larger injectors.  Why are you looking at the JK?

i'm not looking at the JK, just noticed they got smarter (or better if you wish) with the new kits and want to do it right. what i said was that the other kits _only_ come with larger injectors and no piggyback, i was not disagreeing with you.

DodgeMudder

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
I think it can handle it with proper shifting.  HP wise, you're looking at around 170HP IIRC which is still below 190HP of the 4.0L.  If you're not slamming the gears and don't downshift without rev matching it should hold up fine.  It's only when you start beating on the transmission that it will give up.  Although you can swap a AX-15, NV3550, or even a Toyota W56 in it's place.  It's funny how the AX-5 gets such a bad wrap but the W56 is praised while it's basically the same transmission.

The AX5 is crap it doesn't hold up, I shifted mine smooth and had gear teeth break off on 3 different ax5's before I went to a heavier trans, I couldn't imagine running more hp in front of one of them.

RT

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:17 AM »
  It's funny how the AX-5 gets such a bad wrap but the W56 is praised while it's basically the same transmission.

I never really got that, the w56 has a reputation of being stout transmission that never dies, but the AX-5 (which is of the same design) dies a lot....I've lost gear teeth too and growl at low  speeds and whine at highspeeds because of it.