Author Topic: YJ front wheelbase stretch  (Read 2768 times)

RatherBeJeeping

YJ front wheelbase stretch
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
without moving the mounts I have moved my front axle 4-5" forward so far.
I'm running 87 4 Runner rear leafs with the overload removed with a couple of extra leafs thrown in for good measure (taken from a sagged Alcan set of springs). I put on some boomerang shackles on the front to let the springs lay flatter and might throw some rollers on the front for the rocks if it becomes an issue.
And just for Scott.... pictures  :dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: YJ front wheelbase stretch
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »

:twofingers:  :lol:

More PICS.  :wall:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:17:29 AM by FourbangerYJ »
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »
Need to mod the shock mounts a little (you can see how much they moved forward in the 2 pics) and drive it a bit to check the steering. WJ cross over has the TRE at the pitman arm swinging back so I might have to put it in a press and straighten it a bit.  Might do the 1" shift forward on the PS box too, but not sure yet.

Once it's all buttoned up and working I'll get you some more pics-

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
Nice wheels... did you get those from Jeffy?  :wall:

The steering correction would be interesting. Maybe an Astro van box since the pitman are goes towards the rear VS. towards the front.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
 :twofingers:  Got them for Justin's Jeep while in Minot.
The Astro mod is good for 6" and more of stretch on the front, I could drill another set of center pin holes in the perches and go another inch but that's just not something I feel like doing.  I'll start with it as it is and see how it drives this week before I have to run to Texas.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Nice wheels... did you get those from Jeffy?  :wall:

The steering correction would be interesting. Maybe an Astro van box since the pitman are goes towards the rear VS. towards the front.
Those are more like 90's wheels.  Mine are 80's and they rock!  They're great on Camaro's as well.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »
Won't be any bending the TRE, looks cast.  I should have the shocks on it Wednesday and taking it for a test drive.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
How close is the draglink to the tierod?  Or did you move the deaglink to the other side of the tie-rod?

IIRC, Curt H, of MMR/Revolver Shackle fame used National Springs leafs with the pins drilled 4.5" out on his old YJ.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
I run a WJ knuckle and cross over steering- they'll never get close  ???

Right now my pitman arm TRE is a couple inches further back then where the TRE is on the knuckle, that's all