Author Topic: HELP. More power for 4banger?  (Read 6064 times)

Gervis69

HELP. More power for 4banger?
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
 :puzzled: I just got my first jeep and it's bogging down when I'm traveling uphill. Anybody know of a way to help solve this problem without a motor-swap. Jeep engine is completely stock. '94 2.5L--Need help!

b.hog

Re: HELP. More power for 4banger?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
Use the search on here,and read the FAQ,lots of info.

chitchc2

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »
There is a lot of good information here. How tight is your budget? You will information on turbo, superchargers, motor builds, intake modifications, gearing or whatever but in the end they all cost something so your budget is a major consideration.

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
down shift.  :weee:

Torch_Ind

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »

RT

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »
:puzzled: I just got my first jeep and it's bogging down when I'm traveling uphill. Anybody know of a way to help solve this problem without a motor-swap. Jeep engine is completely stock. '94 2.5L--Need help!

What are you running on it, and is it an automatic or standard? The first two things you can do are get a Ram air or CAI, then exhaust and a throttle body spacer. If you're running a cat then get a straight through muffler like the Dynomax Ultraflow Welded, if not than run a chambered muffler like a flowmaster 50. This will help you pretty noticeably if you're on stock tires, or oversized tires with a regear. Also, as your fluids go bad replace them with higher quality ones like Royal Purple or Redline, except diff fluid, stay with the $4 shit stuff there. But the first and easiest thing you can do is remember you're driving a four cylinder in a brick and that it won't produce any real power until about 2500rpm. So if you're in that shady area (50-60) where you really want to shift into 5th......don't...... wrap it up stay in fourth and hang out around 3k to get up the hill. I promise you it'll sound like ass but it'll take it.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »
drafting people helps large. find someone doing the speed you want and try to hold on to his ass lol

RT

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
drafting people helps large. find someone doing the speed you want and try to hold on to his ass lol

Ya that helps, especially behind semi's saves tons of gas even if you're like 50 feet away. Remember you're plowing through the air in a brick, you're going to hate your life at high speed especially w/ the top down unless you're running itty-bitty-teeny-tiny little tires with $600 worth of power mods'. That's what I'm doing, so if you don't mind being the scariest sounding thing riding on 225's EVAR do that. Otherwise take your time and don't roll your rig trying to go fast and die.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
Ya that helps, especially behind semi's saves tons of gas even if you're like 50 feet away. Remember you're plowing through the air in a brick, you're going to hate your life at high speed especially w/ the top down unless you're running itty-bitty-teeny-tiny little tires with $600 worth of power mods'. That's what I'm doing, so if you don't mind being the scariest sounding thing riding on 225's EVAR do that. Otherwise take your time and don't roll your rig trying to go fast and die.

ya I followed a rig on the way home this weekend it gave me minimum 1/4 throttle extra to play with and helped large on hills and at times he would roll up to 20-30km/h faster then I could normally role on upward grades with no one in front of me!!!

JFortner5

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »

;)   So true.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
p,s i'm running 64mm t/b ported intake with short ram intake and cone filter with header &  2inch is my smallest exhaust point!!

I'm getting ready to put in a piggy back for ecm tuning and probably going with some boost!!

RT

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »
Hey Torch, have you ever made a throttle body spacer? I was thinking about making one but i'd kinda like to see if I could get an opinion them. Because I know a spacer would help it's just that $80 is kind of a steep price for such a little mod with only like 3hp gain.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
Hey Torch, have you ever made a throttle body spacer? I was thinking about making one but i'd kinda like to see if I could get an opinion them. Because I know a spacer would help it's just that $80 is kind of a steep price for such a little mod with only like 3hp gain.

did you try eBay, there are spacers for something like $25
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »

no never did yet

wasn't going to worry about it I don't think it would make much difference if I go with boost anyway

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
. If you're running a cat then get a straight through muffler like the Dynomax Ultraflow Welded
in my experience, dynomax is all garbage. Very loud and weathers quickly.
all the bolt on stuff helps a bit but don't expect to be blown away, no matter what their write ups or ads say.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it