Author Topic: dimmer/ interior switch  (Read 1577 times)

Torch_Ind

dimmer/ interior switch
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »
dimmer/ interior switch is fried keeping my interior light on.  for those who don't know my ride it's a 95 yj.  I'm having problems sourcing a new one? anyone know were to get one?

my local parts stores don't seem to list one. they have the headlight switches but no resistors..

anyone got part numbers or anything. cause if I got numbers I could give them to them and see if they can order it at least.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: dimmer/ interior switch
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
dimmer/ interior switch is fried keeping my interior light on.  for those who don't know my ride it's a 95 yj.  I'm having problems sourcing a new one? anyone know were to get one?

my local parts stores don't seem to list one. they have the headlight switches but no resistors..

anyone got part numbers or anything. cause if I got numbers I could give them to them and see if they can order it at least.

is this what you're after? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1185263,parttype,4340
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
is this what you're after? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1185263,parttype,4340

the one on the left. it controls how bright your dash lights are and if you put it all the way to the top it turns on your interior lights

found these on ebay. might pick them up if I can't get a new one.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:32:19 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline chardrc

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
when I got a new one I went to the dealer
in parts manual gives it a part # 5600 1864  "RHEOSTAT" . this is for 1990yj I think its all the same. just a roller variable resistor...

edit:
looks the same as one in picture.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:43:34 PM by chardrc »
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
yeah, the "rheostat" is different than the one i posted, seem to be pricey though - something like $80 for that thing.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
yeah, the "rheostat" is different than the one i posted, seem to be pricey though - something like $80 for that thing.

not going to spend 80$ on it.

I will do the ebay thing and see how much it goes for or I will just ditch it wire my dash lights so they just come on full strength when the headlights are on "way I run them anyway" and put a toggle on the plastic for interior light. 

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
You can always just take the light bulb out...  Not a fix, but a mend at least.  And it's free.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Torch_Ind

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
You can always just take the light bulb out...  Not a fix, but a mend at least.  And it's free.

I would rather wire it so it works not just pull out bulbs and not have interior lights

Offline chardrc

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
the design of that dimmer is extremely simple its basically just a board with copper areas to make contact and vary the resistance. mine died because water corroded the contact area away but your problem seems to be the opposite of mine as its always on so maybe you could find whats contacting and not supposed to and remove / modify to make it work and save $80.. only takes a few minutes to remove and open up so may be worth a look.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Torch_Ind

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
the design of that dimmer is extremely simple its basically just a board with copper areas to make contact and vary the resistance. mine died because water corroded the contact area away but your problem seems to be the opposite of mine as its always on so maybe you could find whats contacting and not supposed to and remove / modify to make it work and save $80.. only takes a few minutes to remove and open up so may be worth a look.

I did it's green death inside it and my interior lights will come on and off whenever they feel like it. and there not always on full power you can tell there is just enough to cause a draw..

I don't want to spend 80 buck and I won't. I will got used or as I said I can wire it so the dash lights work but just won't have the dimming feature "witch I don't care" and will run a toggle for the interior switch.

I figured I could get a aftermarket one for under 20$ if not I will make it work better then before lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:59:16 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
I'd just get rid of it.  I don't use hte dimmer at all except for turning on the interior light but you could wire that to a separate switch.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 05:32:37 AM »
I'd just get rid of it.  I don't use hte dimmer at all except for turning on the interior light but you could wire that to a separate switch.
:thumb: the more i think about it the more I am thinking to do this I'm the same way thats the only time it got used to was to turn on the interior light.

there is a few on ebay for 99cents right now though so if I can get them for like say 5$ will see lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:33:29 AM by Torch_Ind »