Author Topic: how come my 95 jeep is bogging down?  (Read 8351 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: how come my 95 jeep is bogging down?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »
i think ive figured out wats wrong with my jeep. its either fuel, timing, or exhaust. will keep u guys posted

if you add the intake then that's all there is :lol:

good luck with the troubleshooting, keep us in the loop
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

95yjzilla

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »
alright. so i had a fuel sample tested for me and wat do u know...water in the gas tank. jeeps goin to my friends dads shop tommorrow and seperating the gas from water and gettin any dirty from the bottom of the tank. new exhaust comes in about a week and throttle body spacer.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
alright. so i had a fuel sample tested for me and wat do u know...water in the gas tank. jeeps goin to my friends dads shop tommorrow and seperating the gas from water and gettin any dirty from the bottom of the tank. new exhaust comes in about a week and throttle body spacer.

it's good that you clean your tank, but that's most likely not your problem, water and gasoline won't mix
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

95yjzilla

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
wat do u means tht might not be the problem? thats gotta be the problem.

95yjzilla

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
ok so i finally found the problem with why my jeep wasnt running right. the fuse for the alternator blew so the alternator was workin overtime and not charging right. also hollowed out the cat and changed the rotor under the distribiter cap. yjzilla is alive!!!

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »
Ok fuze blew so the Alt would not be working at all, I may be wrong.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »
there are 2 fuses for the alternator, so if 1 of them was good then you were fine, if both of them were out then the alternator wouldn't be working at all

seems that it was the cat all along, but i don't think anyone here would agree with hollowing out the cat, you should do it right and spend $50 on a new cat.

Offline brokenwrist21

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
if one of the two fuses blows then you dont get full voltage from the alternator. i know from personal experience, it'll still run, just wont have full voltage
'93 yj 4in rubicon express lift, 33" bfg mud terrains, yella terra roller rockers, 4.0l throttle body, rv cam, k&n air filter, yukon axles and gears, detroit locker, aluminum radiator, msd 8.5mm super conductor wires, full syn. fluids.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »
if one of the two fuses blows then you dont get full voltage from the alternator. i know from personal experience, it'll still run, just wont have full voltage

you're wrong, trust me

it's a circuit that is supposed to be able to handle 2x50amps = 100 amps from the alternator to the battery (logical flow of the current when charging) and the loads in the circuit (what consumes electricity like your stereo or headlights and such). it has nothing to do with voltage, it's the max current that the alternator can push thru that circuit (the load on the alternator, so 1 fuse means 50 amps, both fuses 100 amps) and if you're below 50 amps you're fine with only 1 fuse, once you're over 50 amps the fuse will blow and you're on battery (the alternator won't provide anything, would be disconnected from the circuit).

Offline brokenwrist21

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »
ok that makes since. i didnt think of it like an over load protection of sorts, i always thought they both needed to be good. as i popped one one time and had to drive my jeep as i had no other vechicle. the whole time i was driving it my meter was well below the 12 volt mark.
'93 yj 4in rubicon express lift, 33" bfg mud terrains, yella terra roller rockers, 4.0l throttle body, rv cam, k&n air filter, yukon axles and gears, detroit locker, aluminum radiator, msd 8.5mm super conductor wires, full syn. fluids.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
ok that makes since. i didnt think of it like an over load protection of sorts, i always thought they both needed to be good. as i popped one one time and had to drive my jeep as i had no other vechicle. the whole time i was driving it my meter was well below the 12 volt mark.

hmm, maybe they were both blown, i can't see a scenario where would only be 1 fuse blown unless both went out and you replaced just one of them

95yjzilla

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
the alterator wasnt workin at all because the fuse was blown which means tht everything was running off the battery

Offline brokenwrist21

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
i popped one fuse changing my oil pressure switch with out the tool. my crescent wrench touched the battery post on the alternator so it made an arc and blew the one fuse

sailorjerry13

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
i have a 95 jeep wrangler with a 2.5L. i was driving it last night and it started to bog down when its at about half throttle. It idles fine. I do have low voltage in my battery. wat do you guys think it can be?
I had the same problem in my 95 too, after changing air filter, battery, and spark plugs, it turnes out the catalytic converter was boken on the inside although you couldn't hear any rattles, well I changed it for a magnaflow from my local parts store and threw it on and problem solved

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »
wat do u means tht might not be the problem? thats gotta be the problem.

i missed this one - what i meant was that if water in gasoline was your problem then it won't idle at all (which from what you describe was idling just fine) - they don't mix so the water will sit on the bottom of the tank, unless you have enough in there that it sits above your pump pickup and in that case won't even start.