Author Topic: AX5 slips out of 2nd gear  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Eucalypta

• Eucalypta Oud-Hollands Snoepgoed
AX5 slips out of 2nd gear
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »
Hi guys,

After a lot of work on the car, I am satisfied with the result.
Sure, it keeps on bucking when I push the throttle just a little bit or on a bumpy road, but I learned to live with it.

In the mean time, I (with help from an AX15 expert) have revised the AX5 and replaced the clutch.
Nice and interesting thing to do  8)

It runs very smoothly, however...sometimes, the car slips out of second gear. This usually happens when driving downhill, no throttle.
Very annoying, esp. when approaching a bend in the road.

Does anyone of you know what this could be? We exchanged bearings and synchromesh, rest of the components in the gearbox were within parameters.
Is it possible to adjust the travel of the shiftlever?
I have the idea that I slip "deeper" into 1, 3 and 5 than into 2, 4 and reverse....
Already checked; lever does not hit the body.

Hoping for a simple solution...

John
To Boldly go where no one has gone before - James T Kirk
1994 YJ 2.5L - 1996 ZJ 5.2 V8

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: AX5 slips out of 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
If it's not hitting the body is the boot or the plastic cover preventing it from seating?  Perhaps remove the upper boot and see if it slips out.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:01:11 AM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
If it doesn't hit the body maybe the spring on the ball that goes in the rail (bar) for shift fork 1st - 2nd gears or the slot for second gear where the ball rests is worn.

there is also a teflon (i think) square on the end of the shifter (part that goes inside the transmission, snaps on a ball at the end of the lever) and that meshes with the shift rails, if that is broken or missing it could be that you cannot shift all the way for the ball to engage in the slot (not sure about this one but could be the same as the shifter hitting the body and not letting you shift all the way into the gear).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:01:51 AM »
Spring/ball 1st/2nd gear: that would also cause problems with 1st gear: this works fine.

As I see it there are 3 actions when shifting:
-synchronising
-put into gear
-locking

When I put in 1st or 3rd: it seems to go deep and I can really feel the three steps
When I put into 2nd; I cannot go so "deep" and I only feel 2 steps

This weekend I am going to pull off the complete rubber sleeve and see if the problem persists.
If the problem isnt solved, I will look at the slotplate (bayonet lock which holds the shift stick in place), bottom of shift stick and work my way into the gear box  ???

Will keep you informed!

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »
Pulled off the rubber sleeve and metal plate; problem seems to be solved.
Although the stick did not hit the body, the rubbersleeve pulles the stick forward.

I'll make some changes to the sleeve and metal plate tomorrow; see if Ican get the bottom closed and still keep it in 2nd gear.

Thnx guys.

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
I thought the problem was solved, however,today when cruising around, the problem re-ocurred  :'(

I have taken the shift lever off and found out that the foot, where the lever comes in, cannot be moved further than that the lever does.
So it is not a problem of the lever.

Anyone any idea? If  not, there is only one option; re-opening the gearbox.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
I thought the problem was solved, however,today when cruising around, the problem re-ocurred  :'(

I have taken the shift lever off and found out that the foot, where the lever comes in, cannot be moved further than that the lever does.
So it is not a problem of the lever.

Anyone any idea? If  not, there is only one option; re-opening the gearbox.

there are some pads on the shift fork, did you inspect those when you rebuilt the transmission? any chance of wear, missing or broken?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:31 AM »
No, other than bearings and synchromesh we have not replaced.
According to our FSM the gears were within specs, we havent seen (or thought about) any other wear parts.
Will open the box and see whats in it that could cause this....

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:30:52 AM »
Hmmm...it seems the problem is the main gear shaft.
When we overhauled the transmission, we noticed some wear on the bearing surface. We also machined a new flange on the shaft.
This all together brings too much movement in the main shaft and the second gear; the 2nd gear is moving too much back and front when shifting, preventing it from being locked properly.
Already ordered a new shaft; will replace this within a few weeks.
Maybe I will also exchange the output shaft; saw one on e-bay for under 100 euro's.

Will keep you posted.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
Hmmm...it seems the problem is the main gear shaft.
When we overhauled the transmission, we noticed some wear on the bearing surface. We also machined a new flange on the shaft.
This all together brings too much movement in the main shaft and the second gear; the 2nd gear is moving too much back and front when shifting, preventing it from being locked properly.
Already ordered a new shaft; will replace this within a few weeks.
Maybe I will also exchange the output shaft; saw one on e-bay for under 100 euro's.

Will keep you posted.

sounds like the thrust clearance (from what you describe) on the 1-2 gears - should be 4 to 10 thousands of an inch. Not sure if there are shims you can use there (not from what i know). good luck with the new shaft.

Let me know if you have the FSM on AX4/5 transmissions, if not PM your email and I'll send it to you.

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »
Ok, found the problem.
The flange of the outputshaft was worn. This resulting in movement in the second gear.

I exchanged the mainshaft and used new snap rings, selected to fit.
The gears, synchro rings and bearings were re-used; these were fresh installed 4 weeks ago.

The transmission shifts much better, it doesnt slip out of gear anymore and the gears are easier to find.

What is the next problem?  ;)