Author Topic: 97 TJ Sqeek on start up.  (Read 1904 times)

Offline lax22

97 TJ Sqeek on start up.
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
My TJ is a 2.5L with no AC and I replaced the water pump yesterday but now i am getting a squeek from either one of the pulleys or the belt. It has a new alternator and belt as off last fall and everything was quiet before the pump was replaced.

I only happens on a cold start and gets faster with RPM's but goes away after a few minutes of driving. After that it is quiet. I routed the belt correctly and tightened the the tensioner pulley. The belt has resistance when you push on it and does not seem overly tight when you twist it on the long section before the power steering pump. The squeek dose not appear to be comming from the power steering pump either. But could be comming from the area near the alternator.

Could the belt be too loose or too tight or could an idler pulleys have gone out? 

Offline neale_rs

Re: 97 TJ Sqeek on start up.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
My guess is the belt.  Once it heats up a bit it stops making noise.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
My TJ is a 2.5L with no AC and I replaced the water pump yesterday but now i am getting a squeek from either one of the pulleys or the belt. It has a new alternator and belt as off last fall and everything was quiet before the pump was replaced.

I only happens on a cold start and gets faster with RPM's but goes away after a few minutes of driving. After that it is quiet. I routed the belt correctly and tightened the the tensioner pulley. The belt has resistance when you push on it and does not seem overly tight when you twist it on the long section before the power steering pump. The squeek dose not appear to be comming from the power steering pump either. But could be comming from the area near the alternator.

Could the belt be too loose or too tight or could an idler pulleys have gone out? 
It's the belt.  It's too lose.  Tighten it a bit more.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline lax22

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
Thanks thats what i figured. searching google had me wondering if it was too tight. I will give ita few more turns and see if it goes away tomorrow. I hate the tensioner systems on these 4 bangers.

JohnnyO

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »
On ours it was the tensioner pulley.  They don't cost much to replace.  I put a new belt on while I was at it.

Offline brokenwrist21

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »
i always go by the old addage 1/2" of delfection is perfect. use a straight edge and a ruler to measure for deflection
'93 yj 4in rubicon express lift, 33" bfg mud terrains, yella terra roller rockers, 4.0l throttle body, rv cam, k&n air filter, yukon axles and gears, detroit locker, aluminum radiator, msd 8.5mm super conductor wires, full syn. fluids.

Offline lax22

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:18:35 AM »
Well tightened it and its still squeeking so i guess i am going to try some pulleys.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
Well tightened it and its still squeeking so i guess i am going to try some pulleys.
Spray one of the idler pulley bearing with WD-40 or better yet CLP Break-Free.  Then see if it quiets down.  If not spray the other and see if it does anything.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline lax22

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
Yeah wish i had time to do it this morning before leaving for work. Also wish i had some spray with me so i could try it when i leave. Oh well i'll figure it out.

Offline lax22

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
the squeek is still there so i am either just going to have to learn to deal with it or maybe i'll tghten the belt a bit more and see if that takes care of it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
the squeek is still there so i am either just going to have to learn to deal with it or maybe i'll tghten the belt a bit more and see if that takes care of it.

did you replace the belt? remove it at least and check that everything spins freely (alternator, water pump, idler pulleys).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »

Replace the tensioners...  They have that effect, and they are cheap and easy to replace.  Mine died out in the trail, and I had to pay almost $200 in tow truck alone for a $15 part that failed!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline lax22

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 01:04:08 PM »
belt is less than a year old and looked fine before putting it back on. There were no noises before replacing the pump all this started after the new pump was put on but it does not seem to be comming from the pump. Going to tear it apart and replace the both pulleys and see how it does. I hate the old school tensioner design on these engines.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:05:25 PM by lax22 »