Author Topic: Axle Advice...am I crazy?  (Read 799 times)

thegooey

Axle Advice...am I crazy?
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:28:49 AM »
Recently bought what was left of a gently rolled 72 CJ5 off craigslist that has front and rear ARB lockers and 4.56 ratio (all with less than 100 miles on them). Got a good deal and want to try and salvage the goodies. I am going to try to get the locker out of the front axle (d30) for my 95 since the CJ axle is a narrow track and is both waaay to narrow (9"), has drum brakes, and has the drop on the wrong side to go under my yj. I figure I need to do the following.

Get new gears (95 has a high pinion and CJ doesn't so I need reverse cut gears?) and since my stock d30 has 27 spline shafts my shafts wont work unless I switch out the side gears for 27 spline gears. Sounds like a pointless task due to the potential wimpy-ness of the 27 shaft. I figure I will need to get new shafts with a 30 spline.

Do I need to change out the hubs to manual hubs at the same time?

The rear axle (d44) also has the narrow track drawback. I see no way I would even want to try and space my wheels out by 4 1/2 inches per side. So I was thinking find another d44 of the same width as my current d35 and swap out the locker from the CJ axle to it.  Maybe a cherokee or comanche axle would fit the bill.

Are their any other suggestion as to what I might be able to do to salvage these lockers for my yeep? Thanks! 

Offline neale_rs

Re: Axle Advice...am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:04:24 AM »
 You don't have to convert to manual hubs unless you want to.  It will just be like a TJ, with the front axle shafts turning all the time.  It sounds like you have a good handle on what to do.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »
Get new gears (95 has a high pinion and CJ doesn't so I need reverse cut gears?) and since my stock d30 has 27 spline shafts my shafts wont work unless I switch out the side gears for 27 spline gears. Sounds like a pointless task due to the potential wimpy-ness of the 27 shaft. I figure I will need to get new shafts with a 30 spline.

are you sure the front arb is 30 spline?

those are pricey, something like $600 / pair from what i remember.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »
Unless you take the inner knuckle off you won't be swapping to manual hubs by interchanging parts.  Also, the Dana 30 will be 27 spline not 30 spline.  The rear Dana 44 is 30 spline if it's a '72.  Prior to that they used 19 spline and 27 spline shafts.  Not to mention being offset as well.

For a rear D44, you could go with a Isuzu Trooper or I think Amigo.  XJ/ MJ Dana 44, TJ Dana 44, Scout II Dana 44, SJ Grand Wagoner...  The Isuzu's will have disc's if that what you want.  The Scout will have a slightly (2") off centered diff which is nice since both axle shafts are the same length.  Drum brakes will range from 10x2.5" to 11x2.5" depending on where it's from.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."