Author Topic: What do you guys think? U-Joints?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995Ū
Re: What do you guys think? U-Joints?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »
Best of luck!
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »
Well, I just hope the increase in vibration is not due to the ring and/or pinion loosing a tooth (or teeth!).  Today the tow truck will take the Jeep to the ARB distributor in Panama, and they will check to see what's going on...  Hopefully, no real damage will be found, but we will see today or tomorrow.

you will need a new R&P kit, with the pinion wobbling most likely it developed wear on the teeth and reinstalling them like that will eventually cause failure. I wouldn't risk that if i were you (hopefully your locker/carrier is sound and won't need replacement)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
you will need a new R&P kit, with the pinion wobbling most likely it developed wear on the teeth and reinstalling them like that will eventually cause failure. I wouldn't risk that if i were you (hopefully your locker/carrier is sound and won't need replacement)

Any recommendation on what brand to get and where to get it for the best price?  I would ship it to a freight forwarder and ship it by air to Panama, as the dealer does not have a 4.88 gear for D35 in stock...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
Probably better to use this as an excuse to swap out the rear axle.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Probably better to use this as an excuse to swap out the rear axle.

I thought about it, but since the Jeep is in Panama and I am now in Costa Rica, it's a bit risky to do it...  I am sure I could find a D44 from an Isuzu in Panama, but not sure about the cost, I would still need to regear, redrill for 4.5 on 5 (to match the front D30),  I would need to buy the new locker, and have the brake job done (which I do not trust anyone to do without supervision, as mechanics in Panama are not really that careul about their work).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »
I thought about it, but since the Jeep is in Panama and I am now in Costa Rica, it's a bit risky to do it...  I am sure I could find a D44 from an Isuzu in Panama, but not sure about the cost, I would still need to regear, redrill for 4.5 on 5 (to match the front D30),  I would need to buy the new locker, and have the brake job done (which I do not trust anyone to do without supervision, as mechanics in Panama are not really that careul about their work).

It would be some work and expense but it might be worth it in the long run.

Interesting that you mention the brake job.  When my D44 was put in, the mechanics told me they had checked the brakes and that they were fine.  Then a few miles later a cylinder started leaking.  I put in the replacements myself and saw that the old cylinders where full of brown sludge, looked like chocolate. 
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
Any recommendation on what brand to get and where to get it for the best price?  I would ship it to a freight forwarder and ship it by air to Panama, as the dealer does not have a 4.88 gear for D35 in stock...

motive or yukon imo. i would stay away from G2 as you don't know what you get (some batches are made in US some are made overseas from what i heard).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
with the pinion wobbling most likely it developed wear on the teeth and reinstalling them like that will eventually cause failure.

This seems to be the consensus: everyone in Panama, Costa Rica and here is saying the same thing...  It seems no teeth broke off, so the carrier (ARB) is in good shape. but the gear does seem to have been worn in an odd way, so I'll replace it.\

motive or yukon imo. i would stay away from G2 as you don't know what you get (some batches are made in US some are made overseas from what i heard).

What about Superior and Alloy USA?  Good?  Bad?  No idea?  So far, it seems I'll be spending around $200 plus shipping (plus freight forwarding)...  Any site with good prices will be appreciated!  So far, I have these as the lowest prices (for each brand):

Superior ($189)

http://www.4ws.com/dana-35-4-88-ring-and-pinion.html

Yukon ($213)

http://www.4ws.com/dana-35-4-88-ring-and-pinion-1.html

Motive ($141)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S6DRT2?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Alloy USA ($219)

http://thejeephut.com/alloy-usa-precision-gear-dana-35-488-ring-pinion-p-27628.html

Any tips on which brand is better, and where to buy are greatly appreciated!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
Superior is good quality from what i know, i have no knowledge of where their gears are made, Alloy USA i heard (but I cannot confirm) that they had their gears made overseas, that was in the past, not sure now since they went under and aquired (by omix-ada if my memory serves me well).

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »
Superior is good quality from what i know, i have no knowledge of where their gears are made, Alloy USA i heard (but I cannot confirm) that they had their gears made overseas, that was in the past, not sure now since they went under and aquired (by omix-ada if my memory serves me well).

So if Motive is a good brand, I may just go with them.. At $141 they are the cheapest.  Although, if Yukon is really worth more, I don't mind paying the $213 (as long as I really am receiving a better product).

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
The official verdict is as follows:

Since all teeth remained in place, there was no damage to the locker (THANK GOD!).  Crown looks OK, but pinion is ruined.  Since they are sold as pairs, I ordered a Superior kit.  Crush sleeve and bearing are also done for, so I also ordered a Superior Ring and pinion overhaul kit, which includes include a new pinion nut, pinion seal, crush sleeve, pinion shims, carrier shims, ring gear bolts, Locktite, marking compound, brush and gasket and Timken brand pinion and carrier bearings with races.  I am having it air shipped directly to Panama (can you say $$$$$!) so that the Jeep will be in the shop as little time as possible (it's the first time I take it to this shop, and although it seems reputable, I dont want to give anyone any oportunity to take out any parts out of my Jeep!).