Author Topic: to much??  (Read 1520 times)

jramey

to much??
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Ok so i came across a deal on a 2.5 ax5 and np231 and the guy is willing to take $350 for all and was wondering if this is a smark investment, the mileage on the whole drivetrain is unknown cus the odometer that was in the wranglr didnt work, it all was working when he pulled it he just wants to put a sbc in it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: to much??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:35:09 PM »
Ok so i came across a deal on a 2.5 ax5 and np231 and the guy is willing to take $350 for all and was wondering if this is a smark investment, the mileage on the whole drivetrain is unknown cus the odometer that was in the wranglr didnt work, it all was working when he pulled it he just wants to put a sbc in it.

not worth it imo if you don't know the mileage or the condition of either one of them. If you can return them and you do the work yourself then it could be worth it, if you take it to a shop it's better to have them buy the second hand transmission for you so the warranty covers the labor, otherwise you pay again for the same purpose (replacing the newly installed transmission).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

jramey

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
Thanks for ur input, iv been wanting to find a 2.5 to start building up as money allows, the xj i hav has quite a few miles on her and its my dd so i cant just yank the engine n rebuild it without losing my transportation for a week, what in your opinion is a fair price for a 2.5

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »
Price wise it sounds pretty good to  me. If your gonna rebuild the motor anyway. Check the fluids first. See what color they are and how they smell.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
If the age of the Jeep is unknown then on the driverside there should the cast into the block a date.  That will give you an idea of the age of the engine at least.

Checking the fluid only works if they haven't changed the oil recently.  Otherwise it either means they've changed it or it's really smelly and black.  It would be better to drop the oil pan and and look at the cylinders walls.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jramey

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »
Its a 95 wrangler mpfi should work fine in my 96 xj

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
Not a bad price, try to get confirmation that the AX5 shifted smoothly and 5th gear was in working order.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
seems that i missed the fact that the actual engine came with the package.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

jramey

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
Not a bad price, try to get confirmation that the AX5 shifted smoothly and 5th gear was in working order.
How would you do that after its been pulled? Rotate the yoke off the tranny and go thru all the gears?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
How would you do that after its been pulled? Rotate the yoke off the tranny and go thru all the gears?

won't tell you if the synchros are good, but if you rotate the input shaft you shouldn't hear or feel grinding noises - that's probably as much as you can do aside from making sure it goes in all gears. Synchros you can only tell when it's installed.