Author Topic: What is the coolest thing you have done to the interior of your jeep?  (Read 7073 times)

Offline grumpygy

Re: What is the coolest thing you have done to the interior of your jeep?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 06:41:39 AM »
I am actually thinking about painting the dash with interior dash paint to give it the newer look again. Has anyone tried this? I did it to my Honda and it turned out pretty nice.

Look at my post in Nuts and Bolts  Eastwood company Interior Die/Paint
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 05:44:50 AM »
did you lined your hardtop? imo that's the coolest thing, didn't see a YJ like that yet other than yours.

Most of the later aftermarket tops are lined with carpet.  My Guidon/Steel Horse didn't have them but later models did.

Mine came lined with carpet, so no rhino there...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

SDWE61988

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
I have done quite a bit with my interior.
1.Hurculined the tub (No carpet in it when I bought it)
2.All three new bestop seats(The old ones in front were shot and the rear was misssing)
3.Replaced the head unit with one I had at the house with a detachable face.
4.Tuffy undersear rear storage box.  (Finally a place to securely store tools/valuables)
5.6X9 speaker boxes with marine grade speakers in the back (not the best setup, but most cost effective at the time)
6.tinted the windows of the the hard doors and hardtop windows

I want upgrade the interior lighting, fix the tear in the top of the dash, add a center consol, and maybe some more secure storage on the rear fendors in the back. 

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
I looked up the Tuffy underseat rear storage box and that is pretty cool. Wish I had that kind of money! Might try to someday fabricate something like that.

I have this rubber mat stuff that my dad gets from work. It is used in rail cars under very large rolls of paper as an anti skid surface. They are about an 1/8 inch thick and possibly 3/16 thick. I was going to put that in between the carpet and Herculiner this winter because it gets cold in Iowa. Any yays or nays on that idea or is there something better?

Torch_Ind

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »
I have done quite a bit with my interior.
1.Hurculined the tub (No carpet in it when I bought it)
2.All three new bestop seats(The old ones in front were shot and the rear was misssing)
3.Replaced the head unit with one I had at the house with a detachable face.
4.Tuffy undersear rear storage box.  (Finally a place to securely store tools/valuables)
5.6X9 speaker boxes with marine grade speakers in the back (not the best setup, but most cost effective at the time)
6.tinted the windows of the the hard doors and hardtop windows

I want upgrade the interior lighting, fix the tear in the top of the dash, add a center consol, and maybe some more secure storage on the rear fendors in the back. 

didn't realize interior included removable tops lol "exterior shielding" lol I got my hard top windows tinted to.

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
I want to add carpet to the hard top but it might be too late in the season.

With the Herculined tub, I put the carpet back over the floor and wheel well after they took a few rounds in the washing machine at work. (Washing the carpets made them look a little better but they were still loaded with dirt. I plan to add another temp layer  for sound barrier and to keep out the cold this winter. I really hate the cold but love riding in my jeep.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »
I want to add carpet to the hard top but it might be too late in the season.

With the Herculined tub, I put the carpet back over the floor and wheel well after they took a few rounds in the washing machine at work. (Washing the carpets made them look a little better but they were still loaded with dirt. I plan to add another temp layer  for sound barrier and to keep out the cold this winter. I really hate the cold but love riding in my jeep.

Try driving a Jeep after By-pass Surgery in the winter.  That is the reason I bought my truck  20 mile drive to get to work and I could not get warm.   

But now that I have the heater fixed its not so bad.  Or I'm no longer anemic from the surgery.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »
  Try driving a Jeep after By-pass Surgery in the winter.  That is the reason I bought my truck  20 mile drive to get to work and I could not get warm.   

But now that I have the heater fixed its not so bad.  Or I'm no longer anemic from the surgery.

I'm doing the jeep thing and it hurts when I pee!

SDWE61988

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 06:51:19 AM »
didn't realize interior included removable tops lol "exterior shielding" lol I got my hard top windows tinted to.

I figured since the tint was on the "inside" of the "exterior shielding" it would be included as an interior upgrade.  Plus it helps protect the interior, when they are on the jeep anyway.

road2damascus

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
I am very simple. Smartest thing I have done to the interior is use sunblock on the dash. Its never garaged and the dash has no cracks. Coolest thing was taking out the back seat and using it as a handyman vehicle. It has a large cargo area without the seat. I have had power washers, lawn mowers, and with the front seat down, a 6'6" plow in it. Yes, I could even close the hatch. I got the fire extinguisher on the roll bar, the floor is lined and the plugs are pulled. Anytime it gets dirty just stick a hose in there and its done :thumbsup: One of those overhead consoles would be awesome. Waiting for one to pop up on CraigsList.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
I am very simple. Smartest thing I have done to the interior is use sunblock on the dash. Its never garaged and the dash has no cracks.

you mean as in UV sun block? unless you have the top off it won't make a difference, UV light is filtered by your windshield glass (that's why you don't get a suntan in your car if your door window is rolled up). My dash is not cracked either and i didn't use anything on it, so i guess the coolest thing i've done is not to use sunblock on the dash and it has no cracks  :roflol:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

road2damascus

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »
you mean as in UV sun block? unless you have the top off it won't make a difference, UV light is filtered by your windshield glass (that's why you don't get a suntan in your car if your door window is rolled up). My dash is not cracked either and i didn't use anything on it, so i guess the coolest thing i've done is not to use sunblock on the dash and it has no cracks  :roflol:

Yes, windshield glass is treated to filter out some UV rays only to minimize the fade/damage of the car. It is NOT enough to keep UV rays from harming skin. I know, I am very white! Even had the glass tinted out in California and still could get burnt driving for hours. Thanks Sharp for the welcome back slam on my first post in a long time  :confused: I don't remember where I heard it was good or who told me but I just did a search on the net and there are others who put sunblock on their dashboards. Here's a link: http://www.ehow.com/how_4576322_protect-vehicle-dashboard-uv-damage.html

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »
geez, i didn't think you'll take exception to that otherwise i wouldn't have said anything
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
I'm convinced the sun will eventually crack a dash.  Several of my Dad's pickups are really damaged this way.  Just a matter of time if you don't keep it covered.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »
I am very simple. Smartest thing I have done to the interior is use sunblock on the dash. Its never garaged and the dash has no cracks.
I'm guessing you used something like 303 Products or even Armor-all.  Armor-all is known to dry out the dash pad if you use it a lot.  Although the YJ has such a small dash, I don't think UV is really a problem.  Mine's still nice and I haven't treated it in centuries.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."