Author Topic: Some engine issues- Need help  (Read 6727 times)

Offline neale_rs

Re: Some engine issues- Need help
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Impedance mismatch (whatever that means!).  I would just use the stock coil and be done with it, it's not so bad.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »
I talked to PD today, and they say it sounds like a bad ground.  They told me to scratch the paint off the distributor to create a better ground, so I'll give that a shot tonight.  He said to use a screw driver, but I will probably just sand it down, and take the opportunity to sand the mounting as well to insure the best possible contact.  We'll see how that goes...  
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
Impedance mismatch (whatever that means!).  I would just use the stock coil and be done with it, it's not so bad.

That was my problem got a new performance coil and the Impedence was wrong.  Changed back to the stock type of copild and its running great.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
I talked to PD today, and they say it sounds like a bad ground.  They told me to scratch the paint off the distributor to create a better ground, so I'll give that a shot tonight.  He said to use a screw driver, but I will probably just sand it down, and take the opportunity to sand the mounting as well to insure the best possible contact.  We'll see how that goes...  

huh?  :yikes:

they are certainly mixing medication and alcohol - wtf does the ground on the distributor has to do with the spark on a fully electronic ignition system triggered by the crankshaft position sensor, even the sensor in the distributor (cam position sensor) has nothing to do with the spark in this case (the spark is distributed by the cap, not a 4 coil setup) and has its own ground wire - the distributor can be completely groundless, there are no points or anything related to the spark in there other than the mechanical positioning of the rotor so it sends the spark to the corresponding cylinder.

You'd be wasting your time, i would call and tell them exactly what i said above, this is 100% accurate and not a guess as per PCM (but then again not related to the spark but injector opening sequence):

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies 8
volts to the camshaft position sensor (in distributor)
on circuit K7. Circuit K7 connects to cavity 7 of the
PCM.
The PCM receives the camshaft position sensor signal
on circuit K44. Circuit K44 connects to cavity 44
of the PCM.
The PCM provides a ground for the camshaft position
sensor signal (circuit K44) through circuit K4.
Circuit K4 connects to cavity 4 of the PCM.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
I recommend emailing them so you don't have to explain it all over again.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »

Meant coil, not distributor...  Apparently, the paint over the metal part does not allow for a good ground to the mount, so they recommended I scratch that paint so that a good ground is possible.  Made sense to me when they explained it, so I'll give it a shot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:45:01 AM by jfrabat »
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »
Meant coil, not distributor...  Apparently, the paint over the metal part does not allow for a good ground to the mount, so they recommended I scratch that paint so that a good ground is possible.  Made sense to me when they explained it, so I'll give it a shot.

i don't know why the coil would need ground, it has 12v permanently as long as the engine rotates from the automatic shutdown relay, the PCM gives it ground when it needs to fire a spark - maybe their coil is different and needs a ground (in that case i would wonder why is it painted where it should make contact). Keep us posted.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
i don't know why the coil would need ground, it has 12v permanently as long as the engine rotates from the automatic shutdown relay, the PCM gives it ground when it needs to fire a spark - maybe their coil is different and needs a ground (in that case i would wonder why is it painted where it should make contact). Keep us posted.

As I said, I'll give it a shot and see how it happens.  I got plenty of other coils if this one does not work, but now that you mentioned it, I used to have a coil where the entire metal part was encased in plastic, so I dont see why paint should be an issue (it did have brass where it bolts to the engine, though).

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
As I said, I'll give it a shot and see how it happens.  I got plenty of other coils if this one does not work, but now that you mentioned it, I used to have a coil where the entire metal part was encased in plastic, so I dont see why paint should be an issue (it did have brass where it bolts to the engine, though).

actually it makes sense that it needs ground (for the secondary coil, the primary is the one that gets it from the PCM), my bad.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
actually it makes sense that it needs ground (for the secondary coil, the primary is the one that gets it from the PCM), my bad.

Well, its not the groun.  I sanded both the coil as well as the mount to insure a good ground, but the engine died on me again.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »
Well, its not the groun.  I sanded both the coil as well as the mount to insure a good ground, but the engine died on me again.

So have you tried a stock coil yet, also do you have a stock Distributor.

Keep asking cause I would like to get this kit for my 74 cause it looks like and easy upgrade.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
This is acting EXACTLY like my plugged tank filter problem, very
intermittent and went away if you let the thing idle of sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
The pump would overheat and lose volume, it would show fine on a
gauge but not at power going down the road.

It was worse at low fuel levels and hot air temps...

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »

Meant 94 in the above post. :brick:

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »
In my case, it is defenetly the coil.  I put the OEM type back in, and it firednright up without issues...  I am calling PD again tomorrow.  This is the second time this happens with their Screaming Demon coil!  By the way, the fuel filter waschanged about 3 months ago along with the fuel pump and prefilter.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »
Ah cool Last thing, did you check to see if the tank had shrunk like mine and was pushing on the bottom of the pump? (It was the primary problem, I discovered the other stuff after I pulled the tank... :)

Wonder if your seeing a weak circuit in the ECU that cant drive the higher capacity coil?

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio