Author Topic: Highbeams cut off  (Read 1687 times)

Dynamic4x4

Highbeams cut off
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
has anyone ever had a problem with there highbeams randomly cutting off?  Everytime it does it i can flip the switch back to lowbeams and they work fine wait a few min and the highbeams will work again i cant ever figure it out becouse it only does it at random times.  I went out and started it and left the highbeams on for about a hour and they worked fine the whole time tonight so im lost hope somebody has had this happen before or atleast knows what causes it.  Thanks

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Highbeams cut off
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
has anyone ever had a problem with there highbeams randomly cutting off?  Everytime it does it i can flip the switch back to lowbeams and they work fine wait a few min and the highbeams will work again i cant ever figure it out becouse it only does it at random times.  I went out and started it and left the highbeams on for about a hour and they worked fine the whole time tonight so im lost hope somebody has had this happen before or atleast knows what causes it.  Thanks
Probably a loose connection.  I'd check the plug at the hi-beam switch on the steering column first.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »

does it have DRL (daytime running lights module)? if yes that would be the next thing to look at after what Jeffy suggested.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
My 95 did this endlessly while on hi-beams. I solved the issue by only using my 7" Kragen HIDs.  That was my lazy fix for a dumb problem. :thumb:

Later on, I did notice water collecting in the bulb, and I think the issue may have been the water shorting the light circuit. It wasn't a little bit of water eaiter, looked like a gold fish could take a dive in there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:43:31 PM by 1995yj »
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Dynamic4x4

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »
I pulled the plugs off and checked them none looked like they where realy to dirty or loose but i cleaned them off anyways and so far they havent cut off anymore but i havent realy been able to run them to much sence then,  and no it doesnt have drl, and i can use my foglights but it just gets annoying haveing to reach down to turn them off all the time but hopefully it was just one of the connections i cleaned off today thanks for all the help

Offline Hunter02

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:52 AM »
HEY, ValveStemSafetInspector, THANKS FOR FRYING MY EYEBALLS.     Hunter

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
HEY, ValveStemSafetInspector, THANKS FOR FRYING MY EYEBALLS.     Hunter

:eek:

I can't use them all the time. I'm not like the a$$e$ with the HID conversions running them as lo-beams. I feel like getting a laser pointer and blind those pricks back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DFWOFFY71o
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
Most time when I flash My lights to get folks to dim theirs, they do Nothing.  But I did convert my Fog Light to HID.  Turn them on and folks dim their lights quick :dance:
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
has anyone ever had a problem with there highbeams randomly cutting off? 

Have had a problem with my highbeams -- they're so powerful, they set tumbleweeds on fire a quarter mile down the highway.  In fact, Edwards Air Force base wants to try knocking-down Chinese Satellites with them.  :eek:

It's getting kind of ridiculous. 

Fortunately, they're not randomly cutting off as yet, though.  Hope you get your highbeams working good again  :thumb:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »
Awesome, I want some of those!
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
Sounds like a bad headlights switch, if its a YJ.