Author Topic: I went to the dark side  (Read 10326 times)

Offline chardrc

I went to the dark side
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
I had hinted in another post that I sold my 1990 yj  :'(. The short story is that I traded it in for a 2007 2dr Rubicon :driving:... the longer story is that after graduating college and getting a full time job I now have some money and figured it was time to upgrade to something a little more reliable and solid. the 1990 was running good but had allot of little things that I was always worried about that would prevent me from driving it any long distances. It never left me stranded but it had to be limped home multiple times because of the clutch slave cylinder going to crap even after replacing it twice (intermittent problem). The 2.5l had enough power for the freeway after the tb Sharp made but it blew oil out of just about everywhere because of the blowby and would most likely need a rebuild in the next 5 years (or it may have just lived forever these engines are tough, but a power increasing rebuild was always on my mind ever since finding this site). The windshield frame looked decent but was basically totally consumed by rust preventing any sort of soft-top being installed and was an entry point for water. There were a few other rust spots on the body but the main concern was the rear section of frame that started to get flaky with rust the last couple of years...

Anyways, before trading it in I took off the electric fan, cb, rear bumper, and finger throttle (still not sure how thats going to be useful with the fly by wire on the 3.8l). I didn't have time to remove the 50 mm tb from sharp, or test the tb spacer for it. If anyone has interest in this and can sweet talk sharp into machining another tb I can give away my stock tb and the tb spacer for free to anyone on this site.

The new to me rubi appears to be in near mint condition, no rust to speak of, interior is in good condition, engine runs strong. The 3.8 is much better suited for the 2dr than the 4 dr wranglers and gets the jeep moving better than expected from driving my dads 4dr. I must admit I was a bit bribed into buying the jk with a free longarm kit my dad decided not to install on the 4dr.

I was sad to see the yj go especially after performing so well in Texas in May (Then again the end of the first day the clutch pedal went limp (worked again after bleeding it) and at the end of the second day it refused to start until morning). But it can now go to someone else to enjoy a budget jeep that can take most any thing you throw at it if you know how to drive it. I stumbled across a picture of when I got it 7 years ago and its amazing how far its come (not on my computer will have to get the file uploaded). 

1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: I went to the dark side
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
Congrats!  It was a clean looking YJ.  Since you're moving up from a TBI 2.5L you won't complain about the 3.8L being gut-less.   :lol:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
Congrats on the upgrade. You are quite a bit richer than me... I was looking at grabbing one of the 2012 Sport models because they were literally cheaper than some of the TJ Rubicons.

GET IT DIRTY!

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Congradulations :thumbsup:
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
Nice upgrade over the old girl, congrats, modding time eh
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:45 AM »
Congratulations!  The new Jeep looks great.  Looking forward to seeing the mods.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline chardrc

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
its going to moab the end of July so I just need to decide how much more to dump into it (savings is running near empty now). Unfortunately the tires are brand new so i don't have the excuse to install the long-arm kit sitting in the shop to fit new bigger tires.... I think ill get some skid plates and wheel it as is for a while.... I must say with the idle at 500 rpm the 3.8 requires more gas to get going than the other manuals I have driven (other than the willys). with the 6 speed it feels like you are always shifting but keeps you in the power good (can see why people swap them behind the 2.4l and 2.5l).

my jeep search started by looking for a TJ Rubicon. But I couldn't find a manual TJ Rubicon that wasn't an unlimited or had body cancer as-bad or worse than my yj.  Then the red rubi showed up on Craigslist for the same price as the nice tj Rubicons with auto tranys or the unlimited Tj's with manuals. still feels like cheating siting in a hard topped jeep with AC. need to get a soft top and run topless like a real jeep (softtop for those random rain storms).
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
You can do most Moab trails with your Jeep as is
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »
still feels like cheating siting in a hard topped jeep with AC.

You won't feel like you are cheating in a hard top Jeep with no AC, you might feel like you are being punished! 

With front and rear lockers, 4:1 TC and 32" tires, your Jeep is ready for Moab.  Should be a lot of fun.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
Rocker guards might be a good investment though.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
Nice JK man. 

Yeah rocker guards... 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline chardrc

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »
Rocker guards might be a good investment though.
ya some bone head took the stock ones off (they are on the build sheet along with dual top group (soft top is long gone)). but that brought the price down some and opens it up for some aftermarket metal.  :pot: I don't think bolting angle iron to the body would look as good on the jk as it did on the yj  :fish:

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
ya some bone head took the stock ones off (they are on the build sheet along with dual top group (soft top is long gone)). but that brought the price down some and opens it up for some aftermarket metal.  :pot: I don't think bolting angle iron to the body would look as good on the jk as it did on the yj  :fish:
Now's not the time to go cheap.   :lol:

Offline chardrc

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
well my Yj finally surfaced on Craigslist. looks nice after beeing detailed. looks like the dealer lined the interior (something i always wanted to do), got a new driver seat, and painted the windshield frame and hinges. he may have lined the rockers as well... we did end up having to put a winch back on before trading it in (but the m8000 turned into a m5000  ;))...

I ended up buying a soft top for the jk, ordered some poison spider rock rails and lights.. I must say the stock exhaust is far to quite.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/3113838385.html

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
well my Yj finally surfaced on Craigslist. looks nice after beeing detailed. looks like the dealer lined the interior (something i always wanted to do), got a new driver seat, and painted the windshield frame and hinges. he may have lined the rockers as well... we did end up having to put a winch back on before trading it in (but the m8000 turned into a m5000  ;))...

I ended up buying a soft top for the jk, ordered some poison spider rock rails and lights.. I must say the stock exhaust is far to quite.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/3113838385.html
You're missing out on owning "a serious trail ready JEEP WRANGLER".  :lol:  I bet it's weird seeing it for sale.