Author Topic: cleaning foggy soft top windows  (Read 3245 times)

littleredbeater

cleaning foggy soft top windows
« on: April 01, 2006, 04:11:38 AM »
I put my soft top on last night and the windows are horribly foggy. Glass cleaner does nothing. Anyone have any ideas? Also, how about cleaning the canvas part? This is the first time I've had it on because when I salvaged ol' red last year I put the hard top and doors on right away.

On a side note, these yj tops suck compared to my old TJ. haha Felt like I was doing a rubiks cube, I had neve done one before and all I had was a bunch of pieces. haha

lanulos89

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 04:39:45 AM »
you cant use glass cleaner with amonia on soft top windows it doesnt help clean them.  Inf act it just makes them even more foggy.  You gotta get window cleaner without amonia.  I dont know of any way to make the windows clear again, but if anyone does i would be interested also.

jwrape

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 05:10:43 AM »
There is specific window cleaner for canvas top windows. usually sold at the autoparts or RV and boat stores. West Marine carries it.

Spelo

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »
I think I got this tip from Jeffey, but Pledge furnature polish works wonders on plastic windows.  As for the canvis, I gave up years ago.

jwrape

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:06:42 AM »
Quote from: "Spelo"
I think I got this tip from Jeffey, but Pledge furnature polish works wonders on plastic windows.  As for the canvis, I gave up years ago.

Yes, I have heard that about Pledge too. It oils the plastic or something. My dad said his Boater buddies told him about it.

lanulos89

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 11:25:25 AM »
walmart also sells that special soft top window cleaner

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 12:52:42 PM »
I've used Pledge for the leamony smell.

Eagle One used to make this awesome soft top cleaner that worked really well.  They stopped making it though.

You can go to a plastic shop and choose a bunch of stuff.  They have polishing & cleaning kits, too.  Otherwise you can go with the commercial stuff.

Plexus, Meguiars PlastX, 3M Plastic Cleaner, 3M Marine Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner #17 by Meguiar's, etc...

I've used the #17 Meguiar's and it works pretty good but not as good as the Eagle One Soft Top Cleaner.  I've also used a more industrial polish and cleaning kit and it works good but required a lot of work.

I restored my soft top that was in a garage for several years.  The windows were turning yellow but not hard yet.  Got it clear again after  working on them for a couple days.

I think the easiest way to fix windows is to use a buffer and a polishing compound.  Then follow up with a cleaner.  Then follow it up with the cleaner periodically for the small scratches.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Yellowcritter

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
You can get a windshield cleaner & polish from a motorcycle shop that is made for plexiglass. The cleaner takes out the scratches and the polish will help with any yellowing or fog.  

I've found that the automotive grade Simple Green and a brush work good at taking most stuff out of the tops.

Chad

plastic windows
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 08:18:26 PM »
I just bought this stuff off ebay "soft plastic window restorer" its was pretty expensive 6 bucks with shipping but only comes with 1 oz of cleaner.  I will let you know how it works when i recieve it.  Good to learn that cleaner with amonia is actually bad for the windows not a surprise but I have been using windex for years.  

As for the canvas top, what works great for me is that black magic tire shine, its got a UV blocker in it and it makes my black soft top shine, dark black, as black as the album cover in spinal tap the rockumentary.  I just spray it on the top and spread it out with a sponge and works great.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 08:29:50 PM »
Have a link to the product?  I've found it's much easier to keep up maintanance on the windows with frequent cleaning then to leave them and try to restore them.  Once they start going yellow, it's hard to get clear again.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Liljeepz

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »
I was just watching Trucks on spike TV, they just did a spot on a Rubicon, they used rim cleaner and a rim buffer on the windows, it made them shine like new, I tryed to find info on brand names they used but its not on there website yet. They did say DO NOT get any on the canvas, it will distroy it, they taped all around the windows and put the goop on, then jsut buffed the scratches out... If i come across the brand names they used Ill post it!

Liljeepz

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »
Found it!

http://www.truckstv.com/inGear.aspx?iid=6963

Jeep Rubicon Project -- Flitz
Flitz "Ball" system was designed to polish wheels, but its buffing attachment and polish works great on plastic and plexiglass windows of a soft top.
Phone: 800-558-8611, 262-534-5898
www.flitz.com

Thats all the info they had on there website  :roll:
But its somthing  :o

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »
Oh Fitz!  I forgot about them.  They make some good stuff.  I think I've seen that stuff in Gun shops also.

JWJeeper94

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 05:45:18 AM »
I use .....Mequiars PlastX ......and have had good results, although my windows are tinted. However I also use this on my Harley windshield and it works great on the clear plexi and it's quite particular on what it will let you use. Gives it a smooth feel, seems to buff out small scratches,wouldn't swear to that.Go to any parts store and read the back it lists your concerns as its uses. Hope this helps.

spoonman

Re: cleaning foggy soft top windows
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »
i just cleaned my bud's soft top windows with headlight lens restorer. it was $5.99 and took all the fog off. he was going to buy new windows until i tried this stuff.