Author Topic: Installing Hella 500's  (Read 2970 times)

01amberfirewv

Installing Hella 500's
« on: December 29, 2006, 04:01:28 PM »
I am having some trouble hooking these up. Do I have to tap into my highbeams? I have no idea which wire is which and would rather be able to use them with the high beams on. I never use the highs in town anyway. Also there are 3 prongs on the back to the swith and the directions show the light wire and the high beam wire going in. What is the other prong for?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:32:50 PM »
Quote from: "01amberfirewv"
I am having some trouble hooking these up. Do I have to tap into my highbeams? I have no idea which wire is which and would rather be able to use them with the high beams on. I never use the highs in town anyway. Also there are 3 prongs on the back to the swith and the directions show the light wire and the high beam wire going in. What is the other prong for?

Forget the whole high-beam tapping section.  Just wire the lights as you normally would.  Instead of tapping into the high beams you will run that wire to a +12v.  All the wire is looking for is 12v's.  If it's on but you DO NOT have your high-beams ON (is you wire them up that way) the lights will not turn on.  I like to be able to run my lights independently from any of the stock lights.  You can check out the 'Installing Lights' in the FAQ if you really want to see how they are supposed to be hooked up. (ie, with high-beams)  There is a schematic I made there.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

01amberfirewv

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:52:46 AM »
thanks will do

Jesse-James

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 12:38:30 PM »
Here's a diagram, not the most technical, but it works. LED is optional.

01amberfirewv

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 02:41:35 PM »
Looks like I have everything hooked up right but still no worky :evil:   I have the highbeam wire hooked to the switched wire behind the glove box but other than that everything is according to Hella's directions

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »
If you hooking it to to the highbeams it will not turn on unless the highbeams are on.  I would see if you can get them to work by connecting it to a +12v source.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JeeperTJ

Hella 500's
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 08:19:08 PM »
I have a pair of hella 500's bolted to the front bumper of my Jeep.  They look really nice, but I have found they are way too bright to run on the street!  Also have a pair of western 55W 4" lights wired to a switch on my dash via an 'always on' relay. Based on the number of times I get beamed by other drivers, these lights are too bright as well and I should tie them into my high beam circuit to enable the on switch for the relay.  I had a pair of KC high lights hooked up this way on my Nissan 4WD pickup and it works out well.  Also the little western lights really full in better than even the high beams, I just wish other drivers could tolerate them more... I have heard the same is true with the Jeep factory fogs, other drivers in oncoming cars think you have your quad gunrams on!

Ciao!

Ted

01amberfirewv

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 10:19:07 PM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"
If you hooking it to to the highbeams it will not turn on unless the highbeams are on.  I would see if you can get them to work by connecting it to a +12v source.

I have them hooked into the switched wire behind the glove box.  I think they should work as long as the key is in the on position.  I tried with the Jeep on they still did not work.

Tall Boy

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »
check it blee, (whatever that means)
   I got the factory manwell on my 2001 Tj. if you want to know which wire goes to your high beams let me know and I'll look up the wiring diagram for ye.

01amberfirewv

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:28:01 PM »
I am hoping to get them hooked up so I can use them anytime.  If I find that I have to use the highbeam I'll let you know though, thanks

Tall Boy

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »
Watch that wiring though. I did mine all screwy and it ended up frying the wire. I did the 2 wires from the battrey deal with an inline fuse. Took the fuse out,it gained battery acid and fused itself connected. Almost had a fire there but I was walking by at the right time when I heard the "fizz".

JeeperTJ

Hella 500's and Western light config on the front of my TJ..
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 10:01:28 AM »
Believe it or not people don't like those little 4" Western lights when I drive by them at night...

Tall Boy

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »
I've never really been one to show off, but here in mexifornia we cannot drive around without covers on our off road lights . The policia get money if we do, then they do a thorough search of the vehiculodoro.

Offline chardrc

Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »
Quote from: "Tall Boy"
I've never really been one to show off, but here in mexifornia we cannot drive around without covers on our off road lights . The policia get money if we do, then they do a thorough search of the vehiculodoro.

that sounds like one bo-yah! up liberal ass law.. its laws like that that piss me off and make me want to bust someones skull :twisted: ....  

then again the light covers could save your lites from loose rocks on the road.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Installing Hella 500's
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 03:50:31 PM »
Quote from: "Tall Boy"

There are conflicting laws but overall if they aren't noticeable brighter then 55w/65w they won't bother.  You can run roof lites but they can not be used on road since they are too high.  Bumper mounted lights are usually ok though.  BUT you can only run 4 lights at a time.  That means two headlights and two aux.  If you run more, you will get pulled over and they will then measure the light height.

Another thing, you will need to align your aux lights.  If they are aimed too high or even horizontal and you get a lot of people flashing then you should try to lower them.  It will give you more ground coverage which helps a lot when you drive a lifted Jeep.  Stock headlights really stink when it's lifted.  I run my yellow fogs at night all the time.   Sometimes run the projections when it's an open road.