Author Topic: Anyone have a 2.5 turbo or stroker?  (Read 5505 times)

01amberfirewv

Anyone have a 2.5 turbo or stroker?
« on: August 29, 2005, 04:37:55 PM »
just wandering if anyone has gone these rt's.  I know there is one guy on JU with a stroker but don't remember who he was.

trailblazer95

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 05:01:25 PM »
there are a few 2.5 turbos mentioned, but you can never find anyone who did it and has anything positive to say about it.  here's a link that might help you, maybe you could be the first...

http://hometown.aol.com/turbochargedtj/myhomepage/auto.html

as far as a stroker, never heard of it except with larger displacement engines.

StefanBidi

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 06:39:28 PM »
I've actually heard of a 2.7L stroker 4-cyl but never actually seen or know how they did it.  I tried googling it and only came up with 1 link, but he doesn't actually say how he did it.  That's a google cache of the site, you need to be a member to access the it, so if you want to look into it you might want to register and look for that guy's posts.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 07:30:51 PM »
You could get .050" with a rebore.  To get an actual stroker you'd need to get a new crank shaft.  I'm not sure if the Mopar Performance Crank bumps up the displacement any.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

YJmechanic

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 10:59:03 AM »
I have seen the kit for 2.5 strokers.  I can't remember where it was but it was with the 4.0 stroker kits and I think it cost about $2500-3000.  I thought about it but I can better use that kind of money on my jeep.  Look at clifford performance's website that is where I found the hard to find things for my motor, because they custom make whatever you want.  They also said they had a programmable ecu and air system that basically replaces the intake, TB, fuel rail, lines, distributor, ignition, injectors, and gives you a programmable ecu that uses PC software to add about 100HP.  Again it was about $3000 and I just don't have it.

DCCYJ91

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 11:30:47 AM »
This is a mod I've been considering on doing myself. If things work out at work I could end up with a turbo off an Eagle Talon to play with for free. I think I can do it for less than the $1,200 - $1,400 he stated on his web site. More power and a couple extra MPG couldn't hurt.  :D

ease

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 05:31:52 AM »
don't think a turbo would be too hard if you had a lil bit of patience...

have a machine shop make you a flange to match up with the exhaust on the head, and a flange to match the turbo, find someone who can bend and weld tubes nice, and the hardest part is is over... (unless you have a carb)

the rest of it is tit, tap a hole in the oil pump somewhere for your oil send, do the same thing for coolant if you are using a talon MHI turbo. find a place for the intercooler, make a down pipe, and really i think thats it.

i'd get an EGT and AF meters for peace of mind.

someone with more money than me should do it. a turbo 4 would be rad.

trailblazer95

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 07:53:07 AM »
i think we all need to pitch in and buy one of the How to Turbocharge your 2.5L books this guy has, and then we can all benefit from it.  :D

01amberfirewv

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »
Quote from: "trailblazer95"
i think we all need to pitch in and buy one of the How to Turbocharge your 2.5L books this guy has, and then we can all benefit from it.  :D

That sounds good but we could all chip in and get the book and everything needed to do the job.  Send them all my way and we can use my TJ as a test vehical :lol:

I would like to eventualy add a turbo to mine, I think that it would be the best most economical way to go for me.  Turbo = free power and it seems to me that it wouldnt be as hard on the drivetrane since the Jeep would already have some momentum behind it when the turbo spools up (except for high rpm drop clutch starts).  Hope some one does do this soon and can provide some videos, pics and dyno numbers

wildman4x4nut

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 12:51:08 AM »
Trailblazer I have his book. It is just a little how to deal he made up. But he tells you all that he did do to make the turbo work on his TJ. He started with one that doesn't have A/C so the turbo is mounted there. I was thinking of trying this before I got the supercharger from you.

trailblazer95

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 07:14:55 AM »
does it seem to make sense, and seem practical, or is it a hackjob type of setup?   i'm starting to think about building a competition buggy using the 2.5 powerplant.

wildman4x4nut

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 11:58:30 PM »
I think it is a okay idea. Like I said I was going to try it before I got the supercharger from you.

PM me your snail mail addy.

Shrek

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 09:55:37 PM »
You would need to keep the boost under about 7lbs or you'll need to use an intercooler. Fortunately, once the shroud is removed (e-fan) we've got lots of room to work with up front. Getting the exaust to the turbo and determining injector size / fuel map will be the biggest pain in the A$$.

wrangler387

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 02:00:05 PM »
1 day i will have my project rolling... i just have random parts everywhere :(    I'm going to be using the 14b turbo off an old eclipse, and i'm going to just hack my pacesetter header and weld onto that to meet up with the turbo (eliminates getting a custom flange made, since they are not too cheap, i was quoted $50+ everywhere) I will be using DSM injectors, custom fuel rail, universal adjustable FPR, whatever intercooler i can get from friends that have upgraded, Apexi Twin chamber BOV, and for tuning i have a PLX M300 and will be running Megasquirt as fuel only (maybe down the road do spark also, i want to but i dont have the time..) I've been wanting to do this since i first got my jeep, and i havn't made any good progress, i have a lot of the parts already, just need the time to start putting it all together. I have finals this week, so i'm hoping to try and get megasquirt up and running next week, then i'll start porting out my spare head and the 14b, and hopefully by this winter have the turbo set-up running.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »
I still think it would be easier to make a new down pipe and use that to mount the turbo.  It could be pretty close to the manifold then.  Or else it could be moved to the passenger side where there's a bit more room.  I'm not sure if I'd put it on the A/C bracket but  that's also an option.  A long header like the Pacesetter or Clifford would be a slight problem.

I'd like to run low boost do timing, heat spark and fuel aren't a big deal.  4-8psi range.  The key to this for me would be the ability to remove it every two years (Inspection).

I'm not sure what Hesco is going to do with their SC though.  "Something completely new" doesn't sound that great.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."