Author Topic: Rear Bumpers -- What do you guys like?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
Rear Bumpers -- What do you guys like?
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
I didn't want to do it unless I absolutely had to.  But to protect the rear corners and come up with some tow points without drilling, I figure I am just going to get a new rear bumper.  I liked the design on the Shrockworks rear, but they are only selling versions for TJs and JKs.  You guys have other makes that have protected well, finish stayed in tact that kind of thing?  Thanks
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Re: Rear Bumpers -- What do you guys like?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Local shop is the way to go.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
Local shop is the way to go.

You mean like have a local shop fab a bumper for you?  And Moz, I like that JCR setup with the reverse lights built in.  I do have a spare kidney -- maybe JCR will barter  :lol:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
http://www.crossenterprises.com/cjyjtj.html

This guy is local...well local for me   ;) There are a number of guys I run with that have his stuff. Nice thing about it the tire carrier can be added later if you want. The basket system for the rack is real nice also.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Jesse-James

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
You mean like have a local shop fab a bumper for you? 

Yes. More for your money usually, no shipping, better quality than mass produced stuff.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
I'd probably find a buddy who can weld.  Might be nice to buy him lunch or a case of his favorite brew.  I don't really like what's available.  Not to mention the cost of some of them.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
It might still be a good idea to drill or weld.  The rear crossmember is not too strong so it's better to reinforce it with the angles bolted or welded to the frame.  Some companies include these angles but most don't.  A local shop here told me they always reinforce (fab work) when they install bumpers, they have noticed it's the only way they hold up to hard recovery use.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

jcsanders79

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »
A Warn is a great option.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
These...with the built in reverse lights....

JCR rocks!

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SWBR3&Category_Code=YJR

I have a JCR on mine.  I am very pleased with their design.  Fit was good, and the bumper is strong.  Plus, I like how they do the receiver, so that it does not protrude so far back or under the bumper as some of the other designs.  I got the one without the tire carrier, though, and now I am kind of regreting my decision no to get the tire carrier...

It might still be a good idea to drill or weld.  The rear crossmember is not too strong so it's better to reinforce it with the angles bolted or welded to the frame.  Some companies include these angles but most don't.  A local shop here told me they always reinforce (fab work) when they install bumpers, they have noticed it's the only way they hold up to hard recovery use.

My JCR is hooked tot he frame from the bottom; other than that, it is hooked to the rear cross member with 8 bolts.  I doubt that's going anywhere anytime soon...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chardrc

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »
A Warn is a great option.

i have the warn with the tire carrier.. i like the looks but after seting outside for 2 years the paint faded.. so i got min linxed which looks better.. other than the paint dieing my only complaint is that the bumper will hold mud that is kicked up by the tires but if you spray some water in there tell the water comes out clear it should be good.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »
other than the paint dieing my only complaint is that the bumper will hold mud that is kicked up by the tires but if you spray some water in there tell the water comes out clear it should be good.

This is why I was looking for a closed bumper for the rear; many of them are open on the back, and since I run in mud, this is not so good for me...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »
Are you looking for just the bumper or a tire carrier too?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 01:03:32 AM »
Are you looking for just the bumper or a tire carrier too?

I'm just looking for the bumper for now.  I'd probably be willing to do one that could incorporate a tire carrier later on. 

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 07:47:30 AM »

My JCR is hooked tot he frame from the bottom; other than that, it is hooked to the rear cross member with 8 bolts.  I doubt that's going anywhere anytime soon...

Mine is currently attached the same way but the spring hits the bottom bolt on compression, so I'm going to have the angles welded on and will then remove the bottom bolts. 
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch