Author Topic: Hood scoops  (Read 2608 times)

Tsd

Hood scoops
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
Hi folks!

I´m ordering some stuff from Quadratec and I want to buy a hood scoop to prevent rain from getting in through the cowl vent and wetting my passenger carpet, I had that "old wet dog" smell all winter long  :uhoh:. There are many options and I wanted to know if anybody has any experience with them or has heard anything from them.

These are some of the options:

Bushwacker

Rampage

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_602.htm

Truckmaster (in black)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_11.htm

Rugged Ridge

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13106_003X_PG.htm

Any opinions are welcomed, thanks in advance! :wave:

Jesse-James

Re: Hood scoops
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »
I have one like the Rampage one shown. Helps nicely with the heat but can't use it now that the windshield is down when I wheel. You can have it for $20 shipped if you want it.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »
or you could unclog the drain and keep your feet dry... although the truckmaster on doesn't look half bad.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

drunkencityworker

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:45:50 AM »
pull the carpet and open the drain plug. other wise the old friend mr rust is gonna be paying you a visit. just my 2cents

Tsd

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
I have one like the Rampage one shown. Helps nicely with the heat but can't use it now that the windshield is down when I wheel. You can have it for $20 shipped if you want it.

Is it black? Do you accept paypal?

or you could unclog the drain and keep your feet dry... although the truckmaster on doesn't look half bad.

I always make sure that the drain is unclogged, but somehow rain always finds a way into my carpet, I thinks it's my jeep just being a jeep :lol:

pull the carpet and open the drain plug. other wise the old friend mr rust is gonna be paying you a visit. just my 2cents

Yeah, everytime the carpet gets wet I remove it and put it in the sun etc. I'm just tired of worrying if it's going to rain and drying the carpet   :mad:

Thanks for the replies!

Jesse-James

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
Is it black? Do you accept paypal?

Yes and yes, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll give you my paypal addy.

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »
Hi folks!

I´m ordering some stuff from Quadratec and I want to buy a hood scoop to prevent rain from getting in through the cowl vent and wetting my passenger carpet, I had that "old wet dog" smell all winter long  :uhoh:. There are many options and I wanted to know if anybody has any experience with them or has heard anything from them.

you're getting rain in from the cowl??!! how exactly is that possible. after it rains im ususally left with a nice puddle directly infront of either my passenger side or driver side seat. i thought it was my soft top given that it was torn and such, but when driving in the rain i never noticed it leak in from around the windows etc. Anyway, i replaced the top and the other day noticed a puddle in front of the driver seat. i figured the upper skins werent seated correctly, weather strippin wasnt tucked all the way in..so i fixed that. now that i think of it, when i noticed the puddle, the inside of the door and around it was dry. could the rain be coming in from the cowl? is a scoop the only way to fix this?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
where are the drains located. how does water come in through there and will a scoop fix it or will unplugging the drain work?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Tsd

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »
where are the drains located. how does water come in through there and will a scoop fix it or will unplugging the drain work?

Found this picture at jeepforum:

The drain is the tube that is bent down.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:04:21 PM by Tsd »

Tsd

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
you're getting rain in from the cowl??!! how exactly is that possible. after it rains im ususally left with a nice puddle directly infront of either my passenger side or driver side seat. i thought it was my soft top given that it was torn and such, but when driving in the rain i never noticed it leak in from around the windows etc. Anyway, i replaced the top and the other day noticed a puddle in front of the driver seat. i figured the upper skins werent seated correctly, weather strippin wasnt tucked all the way in..so i fixed that. now that i think of it, when i noticed the puddle, the inside of the door and around it was dry. could the rain be coming in from the cowl? is a scoop the only way to fix this?

I don't know if it is the only way to fix it, I know Chrysler put a cover on the heater box on 2002+ models. I have read that a scoop helps a lot. You can get that cover for 50$ on ebay. If you search "water on passenger side floor " on google or any jeep related forum you will get a lot of solutions.

BarneyJeep

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
chrysler also had a TSB for earlier TJ's..the drian points straight out and the wind from under the jeep will push water back up through the drain, they have a "retro fit" kit that puts a piece of plastic 90* hose on it so it points at the ground.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »
so if it's a drain issue water will only collect on the passenger side. i get water on both sides....sometimes its just driver or just passenger, sometimes both.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
I don't know if it is the only way to fix it, I know Chrysler put a cover on the heater box on 2002+ models. I have read that a scoop helps a lot. You can get that cover for 50$ on ebay. If you search "water on passenger side floor " on google or any jeep related forum you will get a lot of solutions.

i only get water on the driver's side (95 YJ) - there used to be a lot, but i fixed the seal between the cowl cover (i think that's the name, the sheetmetal where the cowl vent goes) and the windshield lover (EDIT: please read LOWER and not lover  :english:) frame (not the frame around the windshield, the body part under that) using some urethane sealer (similar to the winshield urethane but a little more flexible) - i had to dig out the old sealer that cracked, did it on about 1/2 the length from the vent all the way down to the fender - it was pouring thru there. Now i get drops, not much like 1/3 of a coffee cup when it rains overnight - it's not from there where i sealed it, i can't figure out where it's coming from - i also put silicone on the weather strip under the windshield frame but still get it. my drains are clean and they flow well) i put the hose in there. If anyone knows where this can come from i'd appreciate a couple of pointers (drives me nuts, like i said,   not much but it sucks).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:53:49 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Tsd

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »
so if it's a drain issue water will only collect on the passenger side. i get water on both sides....sometimes its just driver or just passenger, sometimes both.

When my scoop arrives i'll post an update on my flooding problems  :thumb:

i only get water on the driver's side (95 YJ) - there used to be a lot, but i fixed the seal between the cowl cover (i think that's the name, the sheetmetal where the cowl vent goes) and the windshield lover (EDIT: please read LOWER and not lover  :english:) frame (not the frame around the windshield, the body part under that) using some urethane sealer (similar to the winshield urethane but a little more flexible) - i had to dig out the old sealer that cracked, did it on about 1/2 the length from the vent all the way down to the fender - it was pouring thru there. Now i get drops, not much like 1/3 of a coffee cup when it rains overnight - it's not from there where i sealed it, i can't figure out where it's coming from - i also put silicone on the weather strip under the windshield frame but still get it. my drains are clean and they flow well) i put the hose in there. If anyone knows where this can come from i'd appreciate a couple of pointers (drives me nuts, like i said,   not much but it sucks).

I am an ignorant on YJ's, so i'll leave the subject to the YJ gods.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:08:43 PM by Tsd »

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
If you pull the grill and cover off the cowl youll find a plastic "bucket" under there that is very flimsy. It can get misaligned and the water will go past it. I just had to push mine to the correct position and problem solved. I think a stick had gotten through from a limb and pushed it to the side. When I was running a woods trail.

If you have water on both sides its often the windshield gasket between the frame and tub.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio