Author Topic: need power steering help  (Read 1116 times)

AC3tj

need power steering help
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
i was trying to replace the seals on my power steering because it is leaking from the pitman arm seal but i can get the pitman arm off the output shaft.
i tried a puller i hit it with a hammer in every direction i can think of but i can t get it off.
please help with any sugestions.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: need power steering help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
Put the pitman arm pulled on and crank it till it's good and tight.  Then take a 3lbs sledge or better yet two and smack the part that holds against the splines from both sides.  If you only have one sledge then jsut smack it a few times then crank the puller tighter then repeat.  It's a good idea to leave the nut on loose so the pitman arm doesn't fall off.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
Since you are replacing the seal anyway - take your propane or MAP torch and warm up the pitman - leave the pitman puller on it with some tension.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »
Since you are replacing the seal anyway - take your propane or MAP torch and warm up the pitman - leave the pitman puller on it with some tension.

That's what I did. It came off faster than a prom dress! :naughty:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

AC3tj

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
good try but it is still on any other suggestions

AC3tj

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
i think it needs to get hotter quicker but my torch is to small i will get a bigger one tommorow

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
i think it needs to get hotter quicker but my torch is to small i will get a bigger one tommorow

Don't need a big one, regular $12 hardware store torch is fine.  Just hold the flame on for a while
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
good try but it is still on any other suggestions

i had the steering box off and i put the pitman on a vise (one side of the part that goes on the shaft) and hit it with a hammer on the other side. once i did that came off with the puller.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
If you are not replacing the sector shaft you don't need to remove the pitman arm.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

AC3tj

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
thanks for all the tips i got it off and put the new seals on and its back toghether and runs great.
thanks again