Author Topic: Subwoofer / amp pics  (Read 5411 times)

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
Subwoofer / amp pics
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:20:52 PM »
Okay...after the subwoofer box discussion, I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind posting pics of their subwoofer/amp locations??

I mean, should I just take up the trunk space behind the rear seat and do everything there??  

Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

yamahaking2012

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »
well i just put my amp and cap under my rear seat and mounted them to a piece of mdf... and my sub box takes up half of the so-called 'trunk'... i made the box as small as possible to cubic inch specs for my sub which was like 3/4 of a cubic foot... 12in type-r is pretty big for it and i have gone death from it...haha... but my old system which was 2 10in infinity kappa perfects was awesome in that jeep.

either way you look at it.... you wont have a 'trunk'.... but hey i'd say we never really did... unless we took out the rear seat. but i just came up with a crazy idea for a box... i will post later with a rough besign on it..

lanulos89

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
tomorow im gonna start building my idea for my sub box.  Since i only get like 40 mins a day to work on it i figure that ill have it constructed by next week.  Hopefully!!!!  I'll be sure to post a pic of it when its done.  If you check  out the subwoofer box post you can see my idea for it.  I designed it after the Tuffy security box, and im just gonna mount the seat directly to the box.

happy024

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »
I needed more storage than room for passengers so I took out my rear seat and made a storage box. The front of it I made into a box for my 10" Polk. And inside the storage area is where I mounted the Amp.Box is lockable and bolted down. Sorry no Pics right now. Made a drip cover so when i get into some rain with the top down I'm not soaking the speaker. Which brings up my point. if your going to mount the amp under the seat make sure it stays dry or your time and money will go up in a quick POP.
I'll post some pics of my box in a little bit.

Scott97

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
I have a setup I like quite well, I'n the summer I put the rear seat back in and stand the box up, subs facing down, and I have the amp under the drivers seat. This help protect both from the rain if you have the top off and you start to get some showers. Right now I have the seat out for storrage room in the winter. Here are some pics.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
amp
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »
Nice pics...dirty jeep, but nice pics.

What make/model amp are you running?  I only took a quick look at Best Buy, but they didn't have an amp that would fit under my seat and also power my sub properly....havn't really looked at much, but if yours is nice.....
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 01:25:52 PM »
I run a single 8" Rockcord in a 12x13x13 sealed box.  It sits behind the rear seat.  Since I've got a hardtop I don't need to make that much bass to be thumping.  Even when it's thumping inside you can barely hear it outside which is the way I like it.

I have a 2x50w bridged to 160w.  It's been so long I forget the company name, but it's a smaller company that makes decent amps.  I have it mounted behind the rear seat on the side of the wheelwell.  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably move it someplace else.

The thing about my setup is that it has to be high enough that water coming into the Jeep won't bother it.  If I ever get around to it, I'll replace my 8" with a single 10".  It's difficult to get a 8" without mail ordering them.  I'll probably make a down firing box that is sealed and waterproof to some extent.  Get water on partical board of MDF and it will swell and fall apart.

Oh and I recommend researching brands.  Some expensive stuff is downright crap out there.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Scott97

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
my system is an alpine, it's a 1000watt amp running two 10" alpine punch subs in a closed box. Makes a great sound, dosn't vibrate the hell out of you, no buzzing sound like all those street racers have. A nice solid punch. Also made the box myself and used a can of roof cement that I hade layin around to waterproof it under the fabric. Yes the jeep is alittle dirty, it is winter here. I have a new carpet for the int. but im waiting untill I get to florida next week to put it in, no sence in getting it all snowy and salty. :-)

peteyg

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 11:43:06 PM »
I put mine in the center console, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Here's a link to the whole write up.  Some of you have probably already seen it. :wink:

http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46258

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:53:03 PM »
Ugh, that followed me here!   :shock:  :wink:

Welcome Pete.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Scott97

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 09:17:25 AM »
Quote from: "peteyg"

Careful with that, you don't want it to vibrate to much on the side of the seat when you put it back, it will eat a whole right through it, I had a buddy who put a sub there, didn't last to long. You might be alright if the sub is set back far enough in the case.

peteyg

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 02:21:27 PM »
Quote from: "Scott97"
Quote from: "peteyg"

Careful with that, you don't want it to vibrate to much on the side of the seat when you put it back, it will eat a whole right through it, I had a buddy who put a sub there, didn't last to long. You might be alright if the sub is set back far enough in the case.

Yeah, that might become an issue, but right now, the only thing that hits is the seatbelt, and it is firmly on the outer ring.  It's also holding everything else away from it.  I think I'll probably look for a grate, though, just to be on the safe side. Where it's sitting is where I sit, so right now the rubbing isn't a major issue.

Now, I understand that the sub is too big (they didn't have any smaller ones and I didn't feel like waiting to find one or paying some stupid rediculous price for one that I will end up destroying anyway), and that it's not in the best location.  It was picked out of necessity.  I don't have anywhere else I could put it.  I had nowhere to put a tube, I had nowhere to put a box, nothing.  Also, I got away MUCH cheaper than I would have with any box system.  It's a trail rig, remember.  It sees abuse.  Cheap was the catch-phrase of the day.

Also, I was not really expecting to get as good of a result as I did.  I thought the enclosure would be too small, that it would wash out or vibrate itself into oblivion, but I managed to make it sound pretty good.  It's not as good as the dual 10's in the trunk of my BMW, but it holds it's own.

If I was going to do it over, I might have held out and looked for an 8" sub.  But....beggars and choosers and all that.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 02:59:01 PM »
One thing you can do is town down the frequenct to the sub and lower the signal strength on the amp.  Since it's right under your butt, you don't have to have it cranked up.

happy024

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »

I mounted the amp (Kenwood mono sub amp) inside the storage box and vented the box to keep heat down.

moerl8088

Subwoofer / amp pics
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 04:31:23 PM »

I cut a prefabbed box in half, took like an inch and a half off of one side and glued and caulked it all back together.  then stuffed it with poly fill.  these are two 10 inch Infinity Reference subs.  I mounted my Profile 640sx amp underneath the rear seat.  Pounded like a banshee.