Author Topic: Still chasing the fuel leak!  (Read 2208 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Still chasing the fuel leak!
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
As some of you may remember, I have a problem with a fuel leak.  I can smell it coming from the fender behind the rear drivers' side tire, and last time out wheeling (it was raining a lot), I could see the oil stains in the water.  Having some free time this morning, I decided t drop the tank (AGAIN! This is the 4th time I've done this on this rig!!! ARGH!) and check what the problem was.

At the time, the fuel gauge was reading 1/2 tank, which means about 1/3 really because the gauge is set for 16 gals and not the 20 gals the tank actually has.  Anyway, I dropped the tank, and decided to connect the fuel neck and everything so that I could simulate the splashing of fuel while wheeling to see where the problem was.  The only thing I had to leave disconnected was the T connector for the breather (rollover) valve because the line was not long enough, but with everything connected, I started shaking things around to see if I could find the leak.  Here are a few pictures:

Since the driver's side was the one that always smelled more, I tried to push as much fuel as I could this way to see if it spilled...  To be honest, my main suspect were the fuel filler lines or the neck itself (and even the cap).

Nada; no leaks.  And I am sure fuel did get all the way there, because the lines were filled with fuel .  I then figured it is possible the top seal of the sending unit was at fault, so I stood the tank on its side and started sloshing the fuel inside...

Zip; no leaking.

I did notice that the filler lines are a bit cracked, but neither one leaked any fuel...

So I put everything back together and up it went.  I want to hope that it is a bad connection from the last 2 times I dropped the tank, but in all honesty, I doubt it.  Anyway, I'll try to fill her up this weekend and see if it still smells like gas by the time I get back home.  Any other ideas as to what could be leaking, please let me know!

So i am still stomped, but hopefully, I accidentally fixed the problem (not likely, but I can dream, right?).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Still chasing the fuel leak!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
is that a T fitting on the vents connected to the evap canister?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
is that a T fitting on the vents connected to the evap canister?
He would of had to disconnect it to get the tank down.

I'd still guess it's the rubber elbow that runs to the fuel filter.  It's in the driverside rear wheel well.  Could be a small hole that only leaks when under pressure.  Or it could be the lines on top of the tank that connect to the hardline at the frame.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:50:56 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »

I should've used past tense - was that T-fitting connected to the evap canister hose?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »
The seal on the guage "pod" leaks when the tank get hot and expands, Mine did anyway... :)

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »

I'd still guess it's the rubber elbow that runs to the fuel filter.  It's in the driverside rear wheel well.  Could be a small hole that only leaks when under pressure.  Or it could be the lines on top of the tank that connect to the hardline at the frame.

Jeffy is right; I had to leave it disconnected to be able to lower the tank, but everything else was connected.  I remembered to reconnect it when I put the tank back up...  Dont worry.  And i agree, it may be the elbow acting up under pressure.  But I cound not replicate the situation with the tank lowered (not that I started the engine with the tank down either, but I did not want to risk a fire).

The seal on the guage "pod" leaks when the tank get hot and expands, Mine did anyway... :)

Dave

Thanks Dave; I thought that would be a possible area of problems, but there was no trace of leaks there (or anywhere for that matter).

I may change the fuel filler hoses and see how that goes.  The lines going to the hardlines seemed to be in fairly good condition, so i will not change those out just yet.

Felipe (still stomped).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Eucalypta

• Eucalypta Oud-Hollands Snoepgoed
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »
I read in a Technical Service Bulletin from Chrysler that the rollover vent valve can leak after adding more fuel after the automatic shut off.
Maybe this is what you smelled?
To Boldly go where no one has gone before - James T Kirk
1994 YJ 2.5L - 1996 ZJ 5.2 V8

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
I read in a Technical Service Bulletin from Chrysler that the rollover vent valve can leak after adding more fuel after the automatic shut off.
Maybe this is what you smelled?

That's a good possibiity, especially since I completely removed the return tube when I did the 20 gal conversion 3 or 4 years ago.  It's only been leaking for the past 6 months or so, though, so unless the rollover valve started acting up in that timeframe, I cannot explain what would be going on there...

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
bringing back an older post...  I am about to fix a fuel leak that's been recurring in my YJ for a few years.
Seems to always be at the filter location and I'm getting sick of revisiting this on a nearly annual basis. I can tell when it's starting to leak from the smell, then comes the stumbling on acceleration from a stop, and then the dripping fuel.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
bringing back an older post...  I am about to fix a fuel leak that's been recurring in my YJ for a few years.
Seems to always be at the filter location and I'm getting sick of revisiting this on a nearly annual basis. I can tell when it's starting to leak from the smell, then comes the stumbling on acceleration from a stop, and then the dripping fuel.
I used some regular high-pressure fuel line in place of the L piece.  I think mine is kinked a little but I've never had issue with it.  The silicone outer sleeve doesn't dry-rot like the rubber line.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »
Felipe,

Have you checked the connections on the fuel filter?  It's in the same general area (rear driver's side inside frame rail.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Felipe,

Have you checked the connections on the fuel filter?  It's in the same general area (rear driver's side inside frame rail.

No, but I thought the same thing when I read this...  I'll check them over this week...

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
Mine was in the same spot its always been. The rubber line after the filter back to the hard line.  I use the EFI lines with the blue inner sleeved stuff and got new fuel line clamps instad of the screw on hose clamps.

MAYBE its fixed for good this time  :'(

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »
Not sure of your year.  But around the 94 year time frame there was a recall on the fuel tank.  With a kit to fix the problem.  It was for the sending unit area.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »
Well, keep in mind I had to change my pump, so the gasket was changed at the time as well, and I checked it last time I took the tank down, everything looked fine.  And it is not coming from out of the filter; I have sort of located the leak to the driver's side rollover valve; it could be the fuel lines are cracked there, so I will replace those and see how it goes from there.