Author Topic: ADJUSTABLE MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX  (Read 9691 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Re: ADJUSTABLE MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
 If you want a little external air pressure in to the intake, get yourself some kind of ram air hood setup; it'll be cleaner.    
i've been saying that since the start of this thread and he hasnt responded as to why he doesnt want to do that.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

quicksand

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »
The adjustable part is a small sliding plate on the right side of air box, I know its hard to see from pic. I need a better pic of that. It allows more air in or less. Also affects the pressure of the incoming air. It is adjustable by a thumb screw.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
The adjustable part is a small sliding plate on the right side of air box, I know its hard to see from pic. I need a better pic of that. It allows more air in or less. Also affects the pressure of the incoming air. It is adjustable by a thumb screw.

BTW is your TJ a 2.5 4Banger or the later model 2.4L that users a Mass Air Flow sensor? 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
BTW is your TJ a 2.5 4Banger or the later model 2.4L that users a Mass Air Flow sensor? 
It's a 2.5L.  2.4L's have the big intake and the TB is on the top.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

quicksand

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
Thats right 2.5L. Zoom Zoom

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »

why would you want less air? you can always not press the pedal that much (that's how you control the air btw). The mixture is controlled by the O2 sensor in closed loop (so if you give it less air it won't make it richer just have less power) and by a predefined table in open loop - but for that you add fuel, removing air will just choke it so there's less power available. I would suggest reading a little bit about BSFC and how that relates to air admitted in the intake, less air means less fuel that you can burn and such less HP.

not to rain on your parade but other than the cold air from the wheelwell everything else is useless - I can't really tell you though if the air in the wheelwell is hot air from the engine or cold air from outside, but one thing i would be careful with is when you run into deep water or drive thru standing water so it doesn't get sucked in the engine.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

quicksand

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
Yes sir, I have been thru about knee high water or higher, slowly with no problem. I do not know exactly as a technical science how this works, but my torque and power is altered just by adjusting the air intake volume and pressure by the air plate.

quicksand

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
Here is a better pic of this small yet so responsive plate

quicksand

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
Silly looking but it works for me.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »
Silly looking but it works for me.

I guess that's all that matters.
When I switched from a rock-it-city air tube with a K&N to a stock TJ set up with a paper filter I did not notice any change in performance.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
Yes sir, I have been thru about knee high water or higher, slowly with no problem. I do not know exactly as a technical science how this works, but my torque and power is altered just by adjusting the air intake volume and pressure by the air plate.

but the question remains how did you gathered it changes. I mean don't get me wrong, you will lose power if you choke the intake and if you open it again you will gain it back, if that's what you mean then yes, you're right but that's nothing to adjust (unless for some reason you want less power) - same result if you stick a brick under the pedal and it won't go all the way to the floor, then take it out and your Jeep is flying.

but if it works for you...
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

quicksand

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
I wish I could let you drive it and feel the difference. Yes If I open it I will take off the line real quick. But at 55 mph I loose torque, which I need to climb quickly to higher speeds. When its closed a little or let me say when I find the sweet spot, she still takes of quick, but has more torque and reaches higher speeds quicker. Even when I am cruising at 60 mph my pedal is less than 1/4 of the way down. Then when I tap on the pedal just a little you feel torque and she quickly climbs to 70, 75mph and holds 70 uphill on a headwind. She will not hold 65mph uphill or headwind if the box is to far open. All I can say its air pressure. Ofcourse sufficeint amount of air also or yes you would lose power. If its to far closed  I but a choke hold on it, then shes bucking not getting enough air. Weird but nice.

quicksand

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:04 PM »
This is about as hard core as I can get right now, my lil rig is a daily driver and the only ride I have. I sold our other 2 trucks so I gotta baby her

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 03:54:57 AM »
your Jeep looks nice though

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
when you talk about opening and closing something, do you mean the holes you made in the airbox? If so, i'm not really understanding why you would have trouble at higher speed with the holes all the way open..wouldn't that allow more air in??? And will you please tell my why it wouldnt have been better (and safer as far as i can see) for you to have just run the air tube up and out of the engine bay like a snorkel?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it