Author Topic: Future Floor Wax as an Automotive Paint Protectant/Restorer  (Read 13760 times)

chrisfranklin

Future Floor Wax as an Automotive Paint Protectant/Restorer
« on: February 21, 2006, 11:15:13 PM »
I had read something the other day at the offroaders site (http://www.offroaders.com/info/tips/useful_tips.htm) about using household Floor Wax (specifically, "Future Floor Wax") instead of regular paste wax to restore or fix up your paintjob.  Apparently products such as Future Floor Wax last something like 2 months when performing shiny-tire, armour-all duty, also.   The durability potential kind of got me interested in giving Floor Wax a shot for finish protection.

Future Floor Wax isn't actually a wax, it's an acrylic compound.  You clean your Jeep and then, while it sits in the shade, literally paint the "Future" on it with a sponge.  You just leave it on and let it sit for 4 hours, preferably in the sun, to cure. Additional coats can be applied as you wish, the more you put on, the deeper the finish looks.   There is no rubbing or buffing and the Future has a self-leveling tendency on the porous/older Jeep paint surface which leaves a mirror finish.  

Anyway, I am fairly shocked  :shock:  by just how good this Future stuff works.  The paint looks better than new; hell, the 12 year old Jeep looks like it belongs at the 1994 LA Auto Show.  Looks like I dropped thousands on some gloss black multi-coat auto paint job

Only a couple of things you should be mindful of:

1) apply it in the shade.  Dark paint and a hot sun cause the Future to cure quickly on your paint; as a result, the finish may not self-level and thus streaks will show.  

2) use a sponge, not rags, to apply the stuff. a Sponge will give the finish a smoother appearance.  Rags or even microfibre towels will cause streaks

3) Generally brush or sponge it on back and forth in the same direction (kind of like when sanding wood with the grain)  

4)  Its ok on plastic, rubber, & paint.  Glass, mirrors, & windows I would avoid.  You can use paint thinner to remove Future from areas such as the aforementioned.  

5) If your first coat shows streaks in the sun (say because you used a rag or towel to apply it), then apply a second coat with a sponge while in a shady area and the surface should even out and streaks will be eliminated.  

For 6 bucks and the cost of a couple of sponges, a bottle of Future Floor Wax does absolute miracles for your Jeep's finish; best part is it is supposed to maintain the knockout shine for a couple of months and there is no rubbing or buffing involved, also. Best paint protection product I have ever used for Autos.

SMC4WD

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:34:27 PM »
This sounds like a fantastic idea.  And alot of you guys with newer Jeeps, or cleaner Jeeps would certianly benefit from this.

My question is...  Will it fill my dents, or trail scars??  :lol:

chrisfranklin

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:11:25 AM »
Yeah my dents are still intact, unfortunately.  
 :x  

Also, its a good idea to wear those rubber disposable gloves when applying the Future.  And, I did one coat and went through a whole bottle of the stuff.  But it's readily available at most Drugstores or Walmarts. And, you can use it on sides of tires like you would with Armour-all and it apparently lasts for 8+ weeks (armour-all lasts like what, a week?)

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
scary
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »
Does anyone else think this may not be such a good idea??

I mean, I could put shilac on my Jeep and it would look shiny and nice for a long time.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

SMC4WD

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 11:51:26 AM »
I was thinking the same thing...

and then I thought (and I'm sorry to those that this pertains too), but how would want their Jeep that shiny?  It's a Jeep!   I like mine beat up, rode hard and put away wet!

Seriously, I do think the idea is a good one.   Paint protection from the beginning even makes a hardcore Jeep, into sometihing nice to look at.
Ever tho mine has a few heavy scratches and scars, I still get a thrill when I wash it (and I even wash the spring, axles and shackles).  I think it still looks tough, even when it's clean.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
any pictures??
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
Pictures of that knockout shine??  Before and afters???

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:12:50 PM »
Well, I won't be doing it.  My paint looks ok for now.  It's a low gloss metallic paint that uses no clear coat.  They even say not to wax it.  It's a bit oxidized but still looks decent, especially for a Jeep.

I'd maybe try it on a small area if you do want to try it.  Actually, you'll probably want to wash the Jeep with something strong to strip off any old wax.  Then apply the new wax.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

chrisfranklin

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:03:32 PM »
Grumble grumble grumble grumble   :P

Don't need it, then don't do it.  If you've ever waxed a vehicle, then you may may see this as a cheap, beneficial improvement. I did.

chrisfranklin

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:35:33 AM »
Tell you what I'll do is test it out for a couple of months see how it holds up to wash, maybe give it another coat, do some photos, etc (don't really have any "befores" though unless maybe the County has one of my license plate and front end :)).  

I believe there is an expensive product on the market called "Liquid Glass"
polish which runs about $20 for 16 ounces.  Its acrylic-based, essentially the same thing as the Future "Floor Wax" and you can get it at any Autozone-type place.  The Future stuff is about 1/4th the price.  

True, a FT trail Jeep probably ain't going to wear any of this shiny crap too well.  But, if you have a newer unmodified rig or you wanna shine a ride up for sale, you might find this stuff useful

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
grumble
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 07:57:45 AM »
I would try it....just don't want to suddenly go outside a year later and see my paint flaking off because there was one ingredient in there that shouldn't be used on cars  (not that flaking paint would really diminish the look of my beast).

fryedaddy

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 11:42:01 AM »
I'd rather go the permanent route and spray my jeep with true finish polyurethane clear coat. I had a CJ8 and finished it with that over the color of my choice. It won't stop rock rash but I had many branches and limbs up aginst it with no trouble. It's very easy to spray and you don't have to sand it smooth afterwards. Really tough paint!!!

SMC4WD

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
Really be tough...

Color matched Line-X!!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 05:22:13 PM »
Quote from: "SMC4WD"
Really be tough...

Color matched Line-X!!

I don't really like using bead liner to cover the exterior.  The problem being, mud, dirt and other grime will sit in the low spots and be impossible to clean.  Major PITA if you want it to look good.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jackhammer

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 11:12:25 PM »
I was talking to the only line x guy in chicago and he said they dropped the colored versions b/c they faded in time and that didnt make them any money yuo know with their gaurantee and all.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 12:34:29 PM »
Most spray bedliner places don't make that much money and makes a huge mess.  This is why many dealers who do sell new trucks with the liners have them outsourced instead of doing it in house.