Author Topic: 2.5L stroker crankshaft  (Read 17839 times)

Offline xjcrazed

2.5L stroker crankshaft
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
Hi all.  I joined the forum to research the possibility of doing a stroker on the 2.5L engine.  I can only find two references on the forum to someone who has done an actual stroker: Rex Lair's 2.7L stroker, and someone's 3.0L stroker.

Here is what Rex had to say about his 2.7L stroker on the yahoo group:
The head has been ported with bigger intake and exh. valves.

The engine is actually board 30 over. It has a custom crankshaft and I beam rods. If you do the math you will find out that boring your engine 60 over we'll give you a 2.55L. There's not enough room to move the rod journal out any further without serious modifications to the block itself. The rods would hit the inside of the block. The crankshaft, rods and pistons are all custom made. I have well over $5,000.00 invested into the bottom end of this engine.

This motor ran good with the stock port injection system. I just needed to get more air fuel into the motor. The stroked crankshaft was made by Ohio Crankshaft; they also provided the rods and the pistons. There's definitely a noticeable difference between the 2.5 and the 2.7. There are no dyno tests I'm sorry to say. The motor was originally built for the sportsman class jeepspeed off road series. It was the only four cylinder running with all the 4.0L six cylinder. Jeepspeed combined the pro class and the sportsman class. In the roughest part of the race tracks the 4 cylinder had no problem keeping up with the six cylinders. On the long straight aways the 4 cylinder just could not keep up with the six cylinders. The truck consistently came in third or fourth out of 20 to 30 Jeepspeed Cherokees. Go to www.jeepspeed.com and check out the jeeps. The head is the heart of the motor; I had all sorts of porting done with the use of a flow bench till we got it right. I ran a 600 cfm Holley projection fuel injection system and the jeep would only get about 4 miles a gallon. The motor could turn about 8000rpms the power band came on about 2100rpms and never stop. We would run the motor up to 6200rmps and then shift gears.

I contacted Ohio Crankshaft and asked them if they remembered Rex's setup.  They told me that they have only ever done a few offset grinds.  So it would appear that Rex's 2.7L is an offset grind with custom rods and pistons.

Then according to dwtaylorpdx's post a 3.0L stroker was done with a custom billet crank from Scat.  Dave, do you have any more information on this build?  Rex seemed to be of the opinion that a 3.0L can't be done without considerable work on the block...  Anyone measured the width of a 2.5 vs. a 4.0?  Considering all that is shared between the two engines I'd be surprised if the 2.5 couldn't take a stroke of at least 3.670"  (Stock 4.0 stroke is 3.413", stock 4.2 stroke is 3.895" so .482" in stroke is gained in a 4.0 stoker.  Adding the same .482" to the stock stroke of a 2.5, 3.188" is how I got 3.670").  But that would yield slightly less than a 2.9L displacement with a +.030 bore.

I found this thread on Pirate4x4 where Martin(jpfrk2001) is planning a build of a '93 2.5 from a YJ that he claims will make 220HP and 300TQ naturally aspirated.  But, he doesn't share any of the build details on how to get there.  I don't see how this is possible without stroking his 2.5.

The only other source I can find is from 505 Performance.  But, based on the opinion of them from other boards, and their tendency of not providing details, I would only consider their products for a race engine that isn't designed for a long life.

Finally I contacted Scat Crankshafts to see if their price had changed for the billet crank (answer: no).  So it would appear that there is currently no good economical way of stroking the 2.5.  Out of curiosity I asked what it would take to get a 2.5L stroker crank to be a standard part like the 4.0L stroker crank.  They said they would need 150 orders to make it worth their while to invest in the tooling.

The 4.0L stroker crank is $399 from Scat, so I would expect the 2.5L to be less.  With the swapability between the 4.0 and 2.5 we would then have all the same options as a 4.0 stroker, and at a reasonable cost.  Is this something people would be interested enough in to put their money where their mouths are?

Rob
No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: 2.5L stroker crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »
i didn't look much into it but if you check the I6 stroker gains and compare to what that person you mentioned is claiming it's obviously a wishlist rather than some proven numbers, actual displacement difference between a 2.5L stroker and a known I6 stroker does not explain a claim of 100HP gain on the 2.5 (again comparing with the I6 gains). In the end i think it would cost way too much if not more than building an I6 stroker or having a 4.0L swapped in and at that point i don't see the benefit other than the challenge in itself, i doubt you'll have enough takers to make it worthwhile for a group buy.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »
Cost would be significantly reduced from the current hurdle (assuming there is enough interest), and wouldn't have to be significantly higher than a rebuild now (although as with most building 4.0 strokers, people would probably choose to use more expensive parts).  It should still be cheaper (total) than a 4.0L stroker, because you would be buying parts for two fewer cylinders.  Cost per cylinder could be slightly higher (but I believe still much cheaper than a swap).

There are reasons other than the challenge for wanting to build a 2.5.  If you're going for lighter weight it's a natural choice, and interchangeability with the 4.0L which is one of the most common engines out there, means parts are available pretty much everywhere.  Because of the lower rotating mass and weight (once again) the 2.5 is more efficient than the 4.0.  Good power, better efficiency, and great reliability is not an undesirable situation...

Besides, isn't this forum dedicated to the Jeep 4 banger?  I shouldn't have to extol it's benefits here...  ;)

Rob

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
it is dedicated to 4bangers but the 2.5 stroker is a very un-common mod, if you get it to 3.0L your expected gains are about 20% increase in power, i just don't see the point given the power you start from on a stock 2.5
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
I think the reason it is an uncommon mod is because there is no stroker crank readily available without spending thousands of dollars.  With the 4.0 we were lucky that AMC designed it such that the 4.2 crank could swap.  If an inexpensive stroker crank was available for the 2.5 I think it could be as common a mod as a rebuild.  Building a 4.0 stroker doesn't make sense to most people until they need to rebuild the engine either.  Why then is there such a large following for 4.0 strokers?  IMHO it's because it's an easily available, cheap, bolt-on power addition.  The 2.5 can be just the same.  It's just a chicken and the egg problem.  (If you build it they will come?)

Rob

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
Missed this post earlier (and don't seem to be able to edit, although I could have sworn there was an edit button before) where Dave was talking about the Scat custom stroker.  He says they were making about 400HP with it (although that was certainly forced induction)...

Rob

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
yeah right 400HP with the AMC 2.5
good luck man

not trying to discourage you but you're in for some challenges and the results won't blow you out of the water.

I would def be interested myself if a "price reasonable" solution would exist, so far doesn't look like there is.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
good luck man

not trying to discourage you but you're in for some challenges and the results won't blow you out of the water.

I would def be interested myself if a "price reasonable" solution would exist, so far doesn't look like there is.
Makes an engine swap look less expensive though.  :wall:  :lol:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
What tranny would you put behind it?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
no transmission, straight to the transfer case :lol:

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
good luck man

You're not discouraging me in the slightest.  I know that I won't be able to get anything even close to 400HP, and I'm not looking to squeeze every pony possible from the 2.5 (I'm not looking to build a race engine).  It'd just be nice to have some of the same options available as the 4.0 for adding power.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:12:52 PM by xjcrazed »

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
What tranny would you put behind it?

I originally wanted to put an NV3550 behind it.  But now I'm also looking into putting an NSG370 behind it.

Rob

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
Over two weeks, more than 300 reads, and only two interested...  Looks like this dream will continue on.

Rob

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
are you actually hoping to get 150 takers for the crank?
there are 2 problems with that
 1. i don't think there are 150 active members with a 2.5 on this site (maybe over time yes but actual active members at 1 time i doubt it, Jeffy can provide more details)
 2. even if they were it's unlikely that all of them will want to rebuild their engine at the same time.

on top of that there are other challenges that go with the stroker crank, you need connecting rods and custom pistons and once you have it all together you'll need larger injectors and an adjustable FPR + the hassle of tuning it, so out of all those willing the pool of takers will also be reduced by the ones that want to do all this, unfortunately you will not get there, sorry but that's just the reality of the matter.

Offline xjcrazed

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
Yes, I WAS hoping that there would be 150 people who would be interested in a stroker crank.  With over 800 registered members of the forum it wouldn't take a very high percentage to get there, but I agree it was a long shot without knowing how many active members there are.  However, with over 300 reads of the thread I did expect a higher number of people to want in.  Probably not enough to get to 150, but definitely more than two.

I don't even own a 2.5 yet, and I would do this, let alone being ready for a rebuild.  I have a garage full of Jeep parts that I don't currently need, but that didn't stop me from acquiring them for one reason or another.  Rods can be reused.  Custom pistons are preferable to many but not required.  And an adjustable FPR would only be applicable on Renix and OBDI engines and even then is not necessary, just helpful.  All of these and other issues are adequately covered on JeepStrokers.com and would only bar someone unwilling to do the research to overcome.

I'm surprised that there isn't any enthusiasm for this at all.  With multiple threads on the forum dedicated to this possibility there has definitely been interest in this in the past.  Anyway, maybe I didn't phase it very well, but I'm sorry my expression of regret that you were correct and I'd have to continue dreaming is so annoying to you.

Rob