Author Topic: Still leaks...  (Read 11442 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Still leaks...
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »
In all honesty, what I did with mine was use silicone on the outer windshield lip and seal it that way.  I just got too tired of water coming in...
I've done that as well with my original.  When it came to replacing it it was a bit of a PITA with the silicone.  It's kind of a dumb design to have the big flange area sticking out and catching water.  Might end up having to apply a little RTV to the backside though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
In all honesty, what I did with mine was use silicone on the outer windshield lip and seal it that way.  I just got too tired of water coming in...

i did the same thing but it turns out it leaks from somewhere else.

I still can't see where it's leaking from but there was a wet spot on the drivers footwell again.  I'm going to reattach the upper windshield brackets so all of the stress isn't on the bottom bolts when it gets sunny again.  I think the other leak stopped though.  It was dripping down the face of the speaker before.

i get the same thing, by the driver's feet - didn't get around to cover the vent to see if that's where the issue is.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
i get the same thing, by the driver's feet - didn't get around to cover the vent to see if that's where the issue is.

I noticed on mine that when it rained sideways, I did get some water on my feel.  Turned out that the little dent that I made when I routed the Daylighter's cables was enough to let water in.  The water would go all the way to the wiper wires hole, and drip on my feet.  A little silicone on the edge and around the aforementioned hole, and I have not had leaks since (of course, I also keep the Jeep in a garage now, which helps, as the side rain was only an issue when parked, not when driving).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »
Jeffy,

when you replaced the seal, did you reuse the plastic buttons (if i remember correctly that's how it is secured to the windshield frame) or did you buy new ones? if the latter what did you get and where did you buy them from? thanks in advance.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »
Jeffy,

when you replaced the seal, did you reuse the plastic buttons (if i remember correctly that's how it is secured to the windshield frame) or did you buy new ones? if the latter what did you get and where did you buy them from? thanks in advance.
Plastic buttons?  For the cowl seal, there are 6 screws that attach it to the bottom of the windshield.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
Plastic buttons?  For the cowl seal, there are 6 screws that attach it to the bottom of the windshield.

ok, that's better - for some reason (just the picture i had in mind) i thought they are those plastic plugs like the ones that hold the rubber screens on the inner fenders (it's been quite a while since i lowered the windshield).

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
ow look what you did start talking about this leak and now my drivers side is leaking..  Not to worried about it for now as I just have sound deadener on the floor and no carpet.  The drain holes are open so as soon as I move it they will drain.  Its parked on a hill right now. 

Supposed to have bad fog in the Morning so was checking the jeep out to take to work.  Fog lights on my truck are not that good.  Just put new lights on the jeep and it should be no problem.  Put on a cheap set of fog lights, then put in a set of Hid Bulbs into them.  Sure does light up the area.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's