Author Topic: What's the best diff fluid?  (Read 4152 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: What's the best diff fluid?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »
This is the first time I've changed the fluid since I got the new spideys, bearings, and carrier....is it possible i'm just seeing resin/breakin material in the fluid  :fitz:

you're supposed to replace it after 500 miles... yes there is a breakin time
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

RT

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »
you're supposed to replace it after 500 miles... yes there is a breakin time

Well it had been longer than that  :yikes: idk, it cost 1k to fix it the first time, if it goes out again I guess I'll just go pull a dana 44 off a rubicon lol

RT

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »
.....if they screwed up my rear axle causing it to grind wierd, would it eat oil faster?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »
.....if they screwed up my rear axle causing it to grind wierd, would it eat oil faster?

what do you mean by "eat oil"?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:04:28 AM »
Grind weird?  If they screwed it up you would know right away.  Whining is what you'll normally get.  Although there is really a lot of leeway when setting up gears.  But then you have to properly break them in.  If you have or had any questions about the work, I would recommend taking it back.  When breaking in gears I typically use the cheap Napa brand.  You'll be changing it out after 500 miles anyway.  You don't really want to run synthetics for the break in though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

RT

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
I mean burn and shear it out of grade and such, I have a couple of times and the first time they went "we don't know what it is and we don't care enough to crack it open" the second time I got them to take it apart and my carrier was hollowed out...maybe the new spider gears got broken in wierd because of the instability of the pin in the carrier. idk if my axle explodes and I die I'll let you guys know

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
I mean burn and shear it out of grade and such, I have a couple of times and the first time they went "we don't know what it is and we don't care enough to crack it open" the second time I got them to take it apart and my carrier was hollowed out...maybe the new spider gears got broken in wierd because of the instability of the pin in the carrier. idk if my axle explodes and I die I'll let you guys know

it shouldn't burn unless the bearings are super bad and they generate a lot of heat. Same for the gears. Metal shavings a whole different story but the 2 could be related (but i would think at some point would break so if you put miles on it on a regular basis and didn't break down yet i would determine what's whining and fix it before it becomes unrepairable (could be a carrier or pinion bearing for example).

RT

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
I just took a vid of it with my ipod strapped to my rear axle.....up close its like a nom nom nom while not under load and a metal on metal sliding noise under load.......does this help anyone?

No Luck

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
Who ever set up your gears don't sound like they could pour piss out of a boot with the directions on the heal :flush:

And if your going to play in the water you need to change your fluids often.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »
I just took a vid of it with my ipod strapped to my rear axle.....up close its like a nom nom nom while not under load and a metal on metal sliding noise under load.......does this help anyone?
If you're worried then you need to address the problem with the installer.  Gears aren't that hard but when they are set up wrong they will go bad fast.  Gears will run a bit hotter when they are breaking in though.  I think they should be making any strange noises.  While you're at it make sure your driveshaft bolts are OK and there is no play in the yoke.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

RT

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »
If you're worried then you need to address the problem with the installer.  Gears aren't that hard but when they are set up wrong they will go bad fast.  Gears will run a bit hotter when they are breaking in though.  I think they should be making any strange noises.  While you're at it make sure your driveshaft bolts are OK and there is no play in the yoke.

What should I torque the U-Joint bolts to? I was thinking of taking 5 min and dropping the ass end of my driveshaft to see if the pinion nut was loose

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 06:05:52 AM »
What should I torque the U-Joint bolts to? I was thinking of taking 5 min and dropping the ass end of my driveshaft to see if the pinion nut was loose

grab the yoke and move it side to side, if it's loose you'll know right away

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
IIRC the straps are something like 15lbs.

RT

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
Sorry for all the questions but how would I know that the pinion nut is loose lol

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Sorry for all the questions but how would I know that the pinion nut is loose lol
Grab the driveshaft near the yoke and shake it.