Author Topic: Performance 2.5 FINALLY done!  (Read 24383 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Performance 2.5 FINALLY done!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 02:36:08 PM »
You do understand that you lose a bit of performance when you're VSS isn't calibrated, right?  Also, the % of error should be progressive, so the faster you go the more it's off.  I suspect it's accurate enough at lower speeds then probably around 60-70, you start noticing it.  Becase of the larger tires, the PCM thinks you're going slower then you actually are, which throws off the timing and air/fuel mixture a bit.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jwrape

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 11:29:22 AM »
Quote from: "Jeffy"
You do understand that you lose a bit of performance when you're VSS isn't calibrated, right?  Also, the % of error should be progressive, so the faster you go the more it's off.  I suspect it's accurate enough at lower speeds then probably around 60-70, you start noticing it.  Becase of the larger tires, the PCM thinks you're going slower then you actually are, which throws off the timing and air/fuel mixture a bit.

Hmmm, something to think about.

YJmechanic

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »
sorry it's been awhile since I posted but I was in the process of getting a new computer and switching service providers.  My email and everything else will be different soon.  I will get everything hoooked up in a few days and then I will start remembering everything from the last year of this buildup.  Sorry again but be patient with me and I will get to everybody or do a writeup on it on the other page.

jwrape

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 04:24:44 AM »
Quote from: "YJmechanic"
sorry it's been awhile since I posted but I was in the process of getting a new computer and switching service providers.  My email and everything else will be different soon.  I will get everything hoooked up in a few days and then I will start remembering everything from the last year of this buildup.  Sorry again but be patient with me and I will get to everybody or do a writeup on it on the other page.

Cool I appreciate it. :D

BK2LIFE

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 11:00:02 PM »
any word on what has happened to this?? is it still running?  any pics??  prices?? lifts??

midnightcwby

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »
I'm interested in the cam specs and the contact you used to get it done.  I've never delt with clifford before.  Do tell the details of the cam profile and price and such, I'm dying to know!

jwrape

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »
I haven't been around for a little while. Did you ever do that full write up on your 2.5L Performance build up?

Guardian7

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 10:50:07 PM »
I would guess most of the power came from boring 60 over, 10/10 crank, cam, and shaving the deck. Chrome Moly rings take forever to seat which means the power should increase more once they actually do seat.

jwrape

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 05:35:46 AM »
Quote from: "jwrape"
I haven't been around for a little while. Did you ever do that full write up on your 2.5L Performance build up?
Never mind on this question, I found the thread.

jwrape

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 05:42:49 AM »
Quote from: "Guardian7"
I would guess most of the power came from boring 60 over, 10/10 crank, cam, and shaving the deck. Chrome Moly rings take forever to seat which means the power should increase more once they actually do seat.
Oh definately, the bore and the shaved deck, and cam is where the power is. Also the balancing of the block makes a large difference. Like another one of YJmechanic posts says, you lose power in the slop in the motor. Tight motor frees up the power.

Shrek

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 07:07:56 AM »
What effect did the bigger cam have on your low end? Does is still idle well for crawling and what about low end torque.The compression is good for the torque but sometimes the cam can kill the low end. I'm rebuilding mine now. By the way crate motors (rebuilt) run around $1200 - $1600

jwrape

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 07:14:20 AM »
Quote from: "Shrek"
What effect did the bigger cam have on your low end? Does is still idle well for crawling and what about low end torque.The compression is good for the torque but sometimes the cam can kill the low end. I'm rebuilding mine now. By the way crate motors (rebuilt) run around $1200 - $1600

I haven't actually installed my Stage 3 Mpoar Cam yet BUT I have read they actually give it MUCH better low end. Less lack from 500-2800 rpms.  I researched them before I committed to buying one. AND they are relatively cheap if you can actually find one. They stopped making them so they are hard to find. I posted up looking for one and found two so I got one for $30 and the other for $40. Good Deal It think for extra power.
I believe it is a lot like a RV cam. If YJmechanic was on the board he could probably atest to this.
My Dad and myself both bought the stage 3 cams for this reason. Mine has been sitting under my rear seat waiting for my rebuild.
As for the crate motors, I would rather rebuild it myself or break it down and have NAPA rebuild so I can make sure it is built correctly.

Also I think boring .60 over will help the low end too cause you are adding cubic inches which should add more power.

YJmechanic

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 06:10:05 AM »
wow you guys stumbled upon an old post post.  that thread is from last year.  anyway the motor is running fine and I have no regrets so far.  the only problem may be a valve seal that may have been torn when I went back an changed the springs the second time but other than that everything is ok.  I am looking a wideband o2 and possibly adjustable reg and map with some bigger injectors to play a little more.  the cam is a clifford and the key to the torque in in the duration and not lift.  yes it is like an rv cam.  my cam was custom cut to resemble the mopar cams but changed slightly to fit my needs. I have to search for the exact specs but call cliford.  they have a list of cams they can cut( ones the have prints for) and I think mine is listed as 426 but I'm not sure off hand I know they said they could go one bigger yet to like510 but that was to tall for me.  Too much lift and you lose low end.  stay to duration rather than lift iwth tall tires.   yes block work is what made most of the power  and as always tight and efficient is what makes the power.  I still have yet to see thins kind of work done to this motor anywhere else and probably never will but there is a 4bangerjp sticker across my hood and I bring everybody to this sight.  as for the writeup there is one but I have to check if it has suppliers and prices or not.

RoKnAzn

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »
Well I was wondering what was the price cost of all this? I am undecided do I want a 5.2L Magnum motor or rebuild my 60K mile 2.5L for more power? I have an auto so. IDK

Thanks
Anthony

YJmechanic

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 07:00:33 AM »
it cost about 1500 to build but i think it is well worth the money cause it is still running great and i have no problems with it.  changing motors to a v-8 will be a lot of expense with all the conversions.